Having 6 injections into my back tomorrow EEEK!

Options
Folara
Folara Member Posts: 568
edited 29. Mar 2012, 23:38 in Living with Arthritis archive
Think I'm gonna need some of your lovely picket duties please peeps.

I am having 6 injections tomorrow morning into my back and I have to admit I am really not happy.

The last time I had any form of back injection was for an epidural when I had my BHR. It was terrible. Took them 40 mins to get a needle in the right place then it was so painful I passed out and fell off the trolley. (ok we do giggle at that now cos in pictures in ones mind it's pretty funny). I was bruised all over and so sore so I really don't want to have this done but feel that if I don't it could be deemed that I am refusing treatment.

I'm not holding out much hope for these working as all of the hip and knee jabs have done nothing, some made it worse.

Do you think if I asked I could get some form of 'out of it' drug so I don't really know what's going on?

Fols x

Comments

• hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Fols
    When I was having a spinal block same thing happened to me.....they spent ages trying to get the needle in {because of scoliosis} and ended up having to get another doc to do it.
    I've asked for a different anaesthetist when I've had to have another one and told the consultant why.
    I'll be in your pocket ....dont worry
    Love
    Hileena
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi Good luck with the injections! Maybe you were just very unlucky last time and I hope you get some benefit from them. I'd be just the same if not worse if I'd had your experience. :shock: So, thinking of you and wishing you a successful time! :roll :wink: :
    Love Suexx
  • Folara
    Options
    Thanks Hileena and Sue.

I'm going to ask the Consultant before I have it done if I can have something to knock me out. I just don't think I can lie still for long enough knowing how scared I feel.

Fols x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    If you explain what happened last time, Fols, and how nervous it's made you feel, I'm sure they'll do whatever they feel is necessary as it can't be very easy for them if the patient is twitchy. (I would be twitchy too in your situation.)

Be thinking of you.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    Hi Fols,
    I would ask for something, like sticky said, just explain how you feel.
    I will be in your pocket, all the best.
    Numpty
  • JuliaHod12
    JuliaHod12 Member Posts: 456
    Options
    Hi Fols

I'll be in your pocket my lovely :-)
    I'm sure it will go much smoother this time.

love Julia xx
  • Folara
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'm probably getting myself in a state for no real reason, but you know what it's like. All your thoughts are very much appreciated.

Fols x
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Fols
    I had 4 injection in the spine last year, I would certainly ask for something beforehand , what I didnt know was that some hospital do it under anaesthetic, I wouldn't go that far, but next time I would ask for a local to be done well before they start to do them.
    Good luck with all, I will be thinking about you.
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Count me in too girl, I hope all goes well. Make sure you rest properly after, yes? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,926
    Options
    Hi Fols.
    yes i will be there for you following you around.
    take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • RosieGlow
    RosieGlow Member Posts: 175
    Options
    Can you phone and ask first, Fols. They may need to get something organised before you actually arrive. Tell them....really lay it on!....how nervous you are. I will be around to hold onto you so that you don`t fall off the trolley again!.....Rosie.
  • pinkbritishstars
    pinkbritishstars Member Posts: 731
    Options
    Have a local if you can - also grip the nurses hands tight - always works with me when I have an 'awake' procedure done.

Thinking of you

xxxx
  • Folara
    Options
    Really appreciate all your replies. Thanks so much. I am told its done under local but I've heard that before. They said my hip would be done under locall and it hurt like merry hell.

Hubby will be with me. He's a great support so I might ask if he can come in and sit at my head end. He just said to me, chill babe it's not like we are aging you put down. Lol cheeky bugger.

Fols x
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    the very best of luck :D
    Hope that they do some good for you..
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • YORKYSUE
    YORKYSUE Member Posts: 35
    Options
    Hi Folara best of luck tomorrow i will be thinking of you have you got something to help you sleep tonight if your anything like me you will be awake all night i had them done a few weeks ago and it was ok i wouldnt hesitate to have them again if they had worked hope they work for you take care sue x
  • Folara
    Options
    Thanks Tony and Sue.

I never sleep very well tbh so I don't think tonight will be any different. I thought the Amitriptyline was supposed to help that but sadly it's not kicking in yet.

I shall post about how awful or not it was tomorrow and if I should pass out, wet myself, fall off the trolley or any other daft thing only I seem to manage I will let you know cos a good giggle always peps us up :lol:

Fols x
  • lululu
    lululu Member Posts: 486
    Options
    Where do posts go when they disapear? here goes again,
    basically what I said was the my Rheumy said I should have an epidural, so when I got the appt. letter I started to worry they said I would not be able to drive., so spent @ £30 and all day on taxis and trains when it is only a 20 minute drive. Anyway when I got there the man said because I hurt so much everywher he would not know where to put it for the best affect. so he gave me 6 smaller ones inmy spine with a local anesthetic, I had to sit and have a bad cup of tea and then said I could not go home because I live alone and should have someone with me for 24 hours (if only I could choose this person) so I had to promise to ask my next -door neighbor to make sure I was still alive in the morning.
    I really don't know what all the fuss was about. I was absolutely fine and feel I was perfectly able to drive. Good luck anyway.
  • Aprilann
    Aprilann Member Posts: 49
    Options
    Hi

Two hours for me when I had a hip replacement for the anaesthetist to do a spinal block. This is what is putting me off having both my feet operated on.
  • JuliaHod12
    JuliaHod12 Member Posts: 456
    Options
    Hi Fols
    It's 4.30am nearly and I'm ready to jump in your pocket
    Hope all goes well

love
    Julia xx