Honey Bees

Options
2»

Comments

• tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I'd say wasps are just protecting their interests. If they are under attack they will protect their nest.

E :D
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I'm a tough old girl lululu, it's wasps for brekkie and a hornet or two for dinner! :) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • tkachev
    Options
    Come to think of it all those people swatting at wasps when they are minding their own business and then they wonder why the wasp gets angry and stings them. :roll:

I'm liking wasps now!

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    I don't swat at wasps when they're minding their own business, Elizabeth, but they should not attempt to set up a business in or around my ears when I'm hanging the washing out.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • tkachev
    Options
    I think they are just going about their own lives, buzzing around quite happily then in the corner of their eye they come under attack so get angry. Maybe if they weren't provoked in the first case all would be well.

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Suppose everything has a right to stick up for its self...apart from bluebottles that is...
    The trouble with wasp they strike when your back is turned..so not very fair..
    Love
    Barbara
  • waddle
    waddle Member Posts: 116
    Options
    all this talk of wasps and bees has me thinking. :o

ive asked my friendly neighbour (he is in his 80's) what he thought was worse, the wasp or the bee. he came back with the reply .......bee :shock: i was a bit surprised and when asked why he said bees look friendlier but are sly little buggers as they know when they sting you it has to be a good-un as they then die but at least with wasps what you see is what you get, you know if you annoy a wasp it its going to sting you and more than once so leave the wasps alone unless you want to get stung. a bee can be engouraged to fly out of the house.

so i think i will stick with wasps :lol::lol::lol:

on a serious note there are so many different types of bee and wasp now i just try to avoid them all.
    Waddle :)
  • ruby2
    ruby2 Member Posts: 423
    Options
    Well that bl**dy bee didnt give me the opportunity to defend myself so I'm not chancing them coming near me...large swatter and bee spray at the ready!
    Ruby
  • waddle
    Options
    have you seen the electric swatters for flies, they give out a hell of a shock. that would deal with the blue bottles no problems. not sure how they would work on any thing else though. not going to be first to try . :oops:
  • ruby2
    ruby2 Member Posts: 423
    Options
    I will waddle the bu**ers nearly killed me!
    BEEs that is!
    They may appear lovely but no!....I'm not gunna trust them!

I will look up the zappers thanks!
    Ruby
  • tkachev
    Options
    Oh its perfectly fair Barbara. Wasps wait until the person thinks they have got the upper hand and are safe.

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • RosieGlow
    RosieGlow Member Posts: 175
    Options
    Last year, my little dog was happily mooching round the the borders at the edge of the lawn. She suddenly let out a yelp and shot halfway across the garden. I rushed over to her, and could not believe what I was seeing. Her mouth and tongue were swelling out of all proportion, right before my eyes. Fortunately, my neighbour realised what was going on. She had been stung by a wasp, and was suffering from anaphylactic shock. We phoned the vet who told us to get her there right away. He was waiting for us, with an injection, which I presume was adrenalin. Within no time the swelling disappeared, but the poor little thing was so traumatised that the vet kept her there for several hours. I HATE the evil little sods......wasps that is, not vets.
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    If wasps are just getting on with their business how come when I'm sitting outside reading a wasp will come and hover around me, especially my ears, nose or mouth and worry me to death?

There are plenty of flowers in my garden for them to pollinate without coming for a look at me. They just seem to enjoy the scare they give you!

As for picking on Rosieglow's little dog ..................there is just no excuse!

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Had a massive wasp the other day that had flown in through the landing window. Luckily for it, it was hovering around the window pane so with my long yellow feather duster I could flick it back outside.
    If it had not gone peacefully then I am afraid it would have been curtains for it. I don't like wasps they frighten me to death.

I would not harm a bee though.

xx
  • Poppyg1rl
    Poppyg1rl Member Posts: 1,245
    Options
    I'll never forget the utter terror of when my youngest son was a 5 month old baby and stung by a wasp on the ear! his poor little ear ballooned! We quickly rushed him to A&E and thankfully they sorted him out, but ever since then I can't abide wasps.
    Bees however are lovely, we had them nesting in an old bird house in our silver birch last year, they were no trouble to anyone and it was quite nice having our own 'hive' for the year :D
    'grá agus solas'
    'Love and Light' translated from Irish. X
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    julie47 wrote:
    Had a massive wasp the other day that had flown in through the landing window. Luckily for it, it was hovering around the window pane so with my long yellow feather duster I could flick it back outside.
    If it had not gone peacefully then I am afraid it would have been curtains for it. I don't like wasps they frighten me to death.

I would not harm a bee though.

xx
    Hi Julie
    Must say I hate wasp, but I just want people to be aware... that they are not the workers Bees that are similar..wish it was easier to recognise them, maybe the Mods hubby that keeps Bees could help out ...our Bees are in decline and that is such a serious matter ..
    Love
    Barbara
  • tkachev
    Options
    lindalegs wrote:
    If wasps are just getting on with their business how come when I'm sitting outside reading a wasp will come and hover around me, especially my ears, nose or mouth and worry me to death?

There are plenty of flowers in my garden for them to pollinate without coming for a look at me. They just seem to enjoy the scare they give you!

As for picking on Rosieglow's little dog ..................there is just no excuse!

Luv,

Yes Linda but they really won't sting you unless they are provoked. Promise.

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • RosieGlow
    RosieGlow Member Posts: 175
    Options
    Yes Linda but they really won't sting you unless they are provoked. Promise.

E

Great theory tkachev, but I can`t imagine that Poppygirls five month old baby was doing much provoking. Nor was my husband several years ago. Fast asleep in the garden, when one of the little b*ggers struck. Nah, not convinced, I think they just enjoy it!!
  • tkachev
    Options
    I tell my daughter to stand still and they won't hurt you. They always fly away without stinging.

BTW welcome to the forum.

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    I, too, sit or stand completely still with eyes and mouth closed and hold my breath ....................only because I can't run away or swat at them.

They really worry me but I must admit I've never been stung ............touch wood :roll:

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • waddle
    Options
    if its as cold every where as it is here the bees will be in hidding again. its freezing here
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    If a wasp (what is the point of wasps exactly do you think) stings it will live to sting again but if a bee does it tends to leave its sting behind.... not good for them so they tend to be more pacifist.

I have a lot here, even had 2 swarms, and the bee keeper who comes to get them says they are too far from known hives to be 'domestic; bees so they are here as wild ones somewhere out in the hedgerows.

I def have a bumble bee hive (they go underground for some reason, and well i kinda pleased that they are out there as their numbers are getting dangerously low....

I am allergic to bees.... and to a point to wasps..... but still when one comes in i catch it and put it back out with a glass and a bit of card bored....

Without them there would be no flower 9well a lot less as the birds can do a bit of pollination but you know what I mean)

Hey Waddle they are also having to ware plastic macs here too
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    I read in last week's Sunday Times that anyone who sprays their roses with insecticides is also killing bees as they are all nicotinoid based.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright