Operations on feet

Aprilann
Aprilann Member Posts: 49
edited 2. Apr 2012, 16:22 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi

I have RA and hopefully will have both my feet operated on in the near future - if the anaesthetist can give me a spinal block.

As anyone had both their feel operated on at the same time and if so, how did you get up the stairs - especially if your knees are bad - do I really have to have a stair lift (I have been waiting for them to make an invisible lift!!!

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I've not heard of anyone having both feet operated on at the same time, Aprilann, though weejean had two THRs doe together about a year(?) ago.

Are they big ops? What's the recovery period? I presume you will have to stay off your feel for a while and don't have a downstairs bathroom. If your knees are very bad you should talk things over first with an Occupational Therapist. One of my knees doesn't bend much at all and, although I can use a stairlift, if necessary, I was told I shouldn't because being unable to place my foot on the footplate makes it unsafe.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Hi, Sorry can't help you but, just to say I hope all goes well for you. Have you discussed this with an occupational therapist? They will have some ideas and I'm sure the op wouldn't be done if the hospital didn't have some ideas about coping. Also your GP, if you get on with them, may be able to suggest or refer you for help.
    With best wishes for the op, love Suexxx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Aprilann

l think you need to chat with those who do the ops about this. 10:1 they have dealt with this very issue before and, as l think Sue said, will know what to do.

Maybe you will have a little extra time in hospital until you are mobile or they could move your bed downstairs (if you have a loo down there???).

Love

Toni xx

PS glad they are going to help you though.
  • Aprilann
    Thank you for your replies.

Yes I will discuss the operation with the occupational therapist.

My toes are very bad indeed on both feet and I was under the impression they were to be operated on at the same time, maybe I am wrong.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Aprilann

they could well be doing that you know. There was a lass on here had both knees done at the same time last year and she coped. In your shoes there would be a huge part of me woudl want it 'over and done with' in one go :)

Do let us know how you get on.

Love

Toni xxx
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Aprilann

I have had both mine operated on the same time 2x and individually as well.... Its easier for one at a time to a degree but so much quicker to have them both done.

I have duff knees to a point but the cartilages were removed long ago so they can't kick me as well as they could with them in if that makes sense?

What are they doing to your feet? mine were breaks and restset, bone fragments removed (it had got into the ligaments somehow) and as well as to fusions I had to have one removed. They have a fair bit of metal left in them as I really don;t heal well and the idea is that less it causes trouble its not worth the risk of removing just now.

I hope they will hurry up and I wonder if OT can help with some adjustments? You would need a cradle as like as not and also I was recently given a leg lifter to help get the legs into bed and that might help you as well.

When you take to the consultant ask about help from the ot as sell as physio.

Let us know when your going and don't forget pocket duties are available as well. Cris x
  • Aprilann
    Thanks frogmorton and skezier for your replies.

I had my right foot operated on twelve years ago (those days they wanted to remove all the toes - I declined the offer) and so this one is not as bad as the left one. I know I will have part of my big toe removed and no doubt have 'wires' put in the toes again. The problem is the metatarsal heads so not sure exactly what is planned. It is whether the anaesthetist can do the spinal block - bearing in mind I broke L1 vertebrae last year and I have the osteoporosis.
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Aprilann,

I really hope the block will be ok, from memory (and that's not much ope and this late even worse) they like to do the block around L4/5 so the L1 break (hopefully) will be ok. The op complications it a bit but they will know a way I am sure.

I had on the right foot a break, bone chip out and reset of the foot with the big to joint halved where it meets the foot as well as some bone chipped away.

The left one was more greedy :roll: It had all of the above plus a toes removed and the joints removed from the toes and fused.... it all helped.

Hang in there and please let us know how you get on. Cris x
  • Aprilann
    Thank you Skezier for your reply.

It was interesting to hear that they put the block in L4/L5.
    It just worries me (and I am excellent had worrying) that when they did the vertebroplasty (that is injecting cement into the L1 vertebrae) they said a vertebrae below this one might not like the cement and so within that next year another one might break. Oh dear.

I guess I will just have to wait and see.