What do you say!!

Options
bubbadog
bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
edited 2. Apr 2012, 14:53 in Community Chit-chat archive
As we speak my OH is shaving all his hair off!! Just because he has a couple of bald patches! He came downstairs 10mins ago with his head wrapped in a towel and I didn't want to look as he went to remove the towel so covered my eyes with my hands. As I removed a couple of fingers it was a shock at first to see him with a skin head but after five mins I said I will get used to it.
But it started me to think as men hit 40 (my OH is 42) do they seem to care more about how they look?, so do you think do men care as much as us women about growing old gracefully?

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I regularly mow Mr DD's blonde hair with the clippers set to Grade 1. Our mums hate it, I like it, he prefers it. He does have a couple of bald spots on his crown, in the shape of a figure eight, but so what? He can't see 'em! Mind you everyone else can as he is only 5' 3". At the grand old age of 54 ( :shock: ) he is a little more careful with his facial skin inasmuch as he buys Simple moisturiser for the post-shave soothing but, as he points out, he still has the ability to pull at the drop of a hat so need not worry about the expanding girth, nasal hair etc. :roll:

I actually don't think I could be 'comfortable' with a bloke who spends more time on his appearance than I do on mine. I think there is an increasing pressure on men to be more careful with their grooming - and why not? - but I will eat my hat the day Mr DD gets his brows done or goes for a manicure. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    I sympathise with your OH, bubba; it must be difficult to come to terms with thinning hair, especially when it goes in patches. I think he is in good company though because Prince William's hair is rapidly disappearing and he's only 29. I much prefer to see a man with a shaved head than a comb-over style, so I think your OH has done the right thing.

I think that men care about their appearance as much as women, and we all try to hold back the years as much as possible. I agree with DD though, there's a fine line between good grooming and vanity. Nothing would be more off-putting than a vain man.
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Its strange...well men are my youngest son is nearly 40..and he has a fantastic head of hair...but since he was a teenager he has shaved it...not down to the bone but very short...I would love to see him with hair..its been so long..
    Love
    Barbara
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    I think if I start going bald I would probably shave mi head too.. Lol
    I started going grey at an early age but that doesn't bother me. My two older brothers are receding, so far I'm ok haha..
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    I'm getting used to my OH's new look slowly, he has/ well not no more! :lol: got peppering grey like Mr 'hot for an older guy' clooney. He makes me pluck his eye brows which I get alot of fun out of doing because he gets those crazy over hanging eyebrows so I doubt that goes in the vain column. And he occasionally has a mad moment where he has to shave his nose hair and ear hair with one of those trimmers. He also does moisturise now and again because has dry skin due to his being a joiner/carpenter. So I agree modern men are becoming more like us modern women!!
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    I don't mind bald bits but I don't really like shaven. For my money a shaven-headed bloke might just as well wear a placard saying 'Going bald but trying to pretend I'm not'. Not many men actually have nicely shaped heads. The lad in front of me at a recent wedding - well, you could have skied down it. :lol:

Combovers or, worse still, almost bald head but long ponytail are definite nonos.

Mr SW has mellowed over the years. I used to have some difficulty persuading him that real men could smell of things other than sweat without being effeminate. Nowadays he sprays everything and everyone around him with his deodorant before we go out. And that is after a shower, not instead of. :wink:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,443
    Options
    Mr Frogmorton is 51 and has only about 6 grey hairs (grrr!!!) and only a tiny 'clearing' on his bonce

BUT he has got a fair few EAR ones :shock: and a fair few back hairs where there were none :?

Eeeuuuwwww!!!!

Bless them, maybe like us they do need to pay a wee bit more attention to their appearances as they get older.

Love

Toni xxx