Hi there... new and in need of help...

Options
Moller841
Moller841 Member Posts: 28
edited 4. Apr 2012, 09:25 in Say Hello Archive
Hi,

My name is Thom, and I'm 21 and have been diagnosed with RA last year in Australia, and have recently been put on a bucket load of pills since i have been back from Oz.

I'm on Methatrexate, sulfasalazine, Predisilone and hydroxychloroquine, and to be honest I'm struggling with the pills and how i feel about it all...

I have RA in both ankles, both knees, both wrists, both elbows, all my fingers and all of my back including my neck and as I'm sure you can guess I'm in a lot of pain all the time..

I just need some general advice on how to deal with it as my friends don't understand and nor does my family...

Just general chat with people going through this would be really good...

Hope everyone is good...

Thom

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Thom. It’s good to meet you but I’m sorry you’ve had to make your way here, especially at such a young age.

You are certainly on a whole host of meds and I can understand your mixed feelings about them but you don’t say how long you’ve been on them. Most of the disease modifying drugs (methotrexate, sulphasalazine and hydroxychloroquine) take several weeks to kick in. Hence the prednisolone to, hopefully, make things feel easier until they do. Even so, a few paindullers can sometimes be required also.

It’s a lot to come to terms with at any age but especially at 21. I was diagnosed at 15 (also RA) but that was over 50 years ago so I’ve kind of got used to it now.

As far as friends and family not understanding it – try googling The Spoon Theory. It’s a very good, graphic way of explaining the pain and lack of energy that goes with it.

You may have noticed the ‘Young Arthritics’ forum. There are quite a few younger people on here with arthritis but, understandably, once their meds kick in, they usually do the obvious thing and go away to live their lives elsewhere. The rest move over to the Living With Arthritis forum as that’s where more of us hang out. If you also post on there I know you’ll get a warm welcome and some good advice from people who really do understand.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello Moller841, it's lovely to meet you but I am saddened that you have had to find us. I too am on the meth and sulph and have been on them for years - I also juggle a fair few other meds and yes, it is irksome, boring, trying, frustrating and tedious - but essential. The meds are designed to help control the immune system, thereby stopping the flares and slowing the progress of the disease and reducing the risk of any possible joint damage. I had five years with no meds, and then about 18months with just sulph and the end result of all that is not good: hopefully you have begun them quickly enough for them to make a palpable difference to your condition. I firmly believe that the sooner you are given them (and take them) the better the outcome will be and I certainly hope that is true for you.

As Sticky said, there is a Young Persons forum but that can be pretty quiet as they are all out and about and being young persons! Being an agéd crone of 53 I am here most days (my days of out and about are long gone :roll: ) so I hope to see your name here and there all over the forum. We are a caring, supportive and informed bunch of arthritics, who know exactly how foul this range of conditions can be so you will always find willing ears to listen to the trials and tribulations as well as the odd bit of good news.

What were you doing in Oz and for how long were you there? Was it a gap-year type thing? I've never been that far abroad - Fuertaventura is the furthest globe-trotting I've done! I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • MrDJ
    MrDJ Member Posts: 279
    Options
    Hi Thom
    youve certainly come to the right place for advice.

im at work at the moment so a bit manic but if you look at this post on another forum and copy and paste it and then print it and give to your friends and family it will help explain to everyone what you are going through.

external link > http://www.psoriasis-help.org.uk/forum/psoriatic-arthritis-discussion-board-the-clinic/open-letter-to-family-and-friends/
    (due to forum rules i cant post original on here).
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Many thanks for that link, Mr DJ, I think that letter has appeared on here before but a long time ago - it is a wonderful summation of what happens to each and every one of us! DD
  • Moller841
    Moller841 Member Posts: 28
    Options
    Well ill tell you all now... seeing a reply so quick has given me hope...

I have been on the drugs for 4 months now and as bad as it is to say they have had absolutely no effect.. infact it has now spread to me elbows which were not effected when they diagnosed me 6 months ago.

I was in Oz for 8 months and yes it kind of was a year out... but also a year to find myself and a career which was a challenge when travelling alone.

Ill admit the drugs have put me down but its how life is. trial and error but the hardest bit of all this is the fact the doctors don't know why this started or why its getting worse when on all these pills.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone... good to hear I'm not alone.

Thom
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    You are far from alone Thom: you have found us and I for one am very pleased that you have. I am not having a good spell at the moment so won't stay long, but please consider posting on the Living With Arthritis part of this forum as I am sure you will receive more answers on there: not many look in on this bit.

As to why all this has started, well there is a deal of evidence supporting a genetic influence (my parents both dodged horrid bullets and I copped the lot :roll: ) but for some it does JUST START. Life is a gamble and some win. And some don't. Talk to us, I hope we can help. Take care. DD
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Thom
    Sorry Im late seeing this
    I just want to say a warm welcome from me, and you are right just talking to people that understand some of what you are going through can help alot.
    So you stay with us.. :D
    Love
    Barbara