Clever Mouse.

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 6. Apr 2012, 18:34 in Community Chit-chat archive
We have a furry presence in the kitchen and bathroom, we've had him/her for some time now. Mr DD bought some humane traps back in January (I think) but then all went quiet and so we (foolishly) thought the little furry problem had gone.

No. So, Mr DD put down said (and ready-baited) traps on Sunday night where he thought they should go and they remained undisturbed. He them put them down again last night (under my guidance, it makes sense to me to put them where the mouse has actually been SEEN :roll: ) and indeed one was disturbed. The bait had gone but the trap hadn't worked - no live mouse was contained (for release over the road in the little copse bit opposite). :roll: I will put some roughly chopped chocolate in the de-baited trap tonight and we will see if that works. I'm letting him touch the traps as I really don't fancy any mouse-based diseases - having said that though as I am on a mouse-based med (humira) perhaps I'm immune! :lol: Wish us luck. I've had a small roll of binbags shredded, droppings all over new dishcloths and tea towels, my iron chewed, it's not healthy. DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Eek and squeak , DD , we have a similar problem as our neighbour was taken ill with a breakdown and is now being treated in hospital . Sadly he had become a hoarder ; keeping everything his dog and cat deposited as well as boxes , newspapers , food wrappers ; in fact : you name it , it's on the floor of the flat next door ! Anyway the mess is attracting varied wildlife from the fields roundabout . Council can't clean up ( it's a council flat ) without written permission letters from the tenant , not easy for him as he's unwell so all the neighbours are left with unpleasant smells and furry friends . Maybe our neighbours mice and yours could become penpals with a view to visiting each other , change of rodent scene is always good . Jillyb
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    Aw DD, I want to be a mouse at your house! Chocolate! All our mice get is the cat.
    Numpty
  • ruby2
    ruby2 Member Posts: 423
    Options
    You are very brave DD, we had one many years ago and I went to stay at my mums, we emptied the room of furniture and bought new.
    Good luck with the search, we resorted to the cheese theory as the chocolate was getting eaten with no mouse caught.
    Ruby
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Mouse based meds! Have I missed something?

E :D
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Tkachev, I was told that any med ending with the letters 'mab' meant mabine (mouse) based, i.e. it has certain mouse proteins within. Infliximab, adalimumab (humira), tocilizumab etc. One GP posited the theory that I was not getting sufficient relief as my natural proteins were cat-based! :)

I don't mind the mouse (in fact it is very sweet) but I do mind the prospect of the patter of many tiny feet. We have had a mouse under the stairs, and I know I had one living in my old car but he didn't bother me and I didn't bother him. After so long on the immuno-suppressants I am now bothered by the risk of infection etc. I must be getting old. :roll: Thank you one and all for your lovely replies, I appreciate them. DD
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Tkachev, I was told that any med ending with the letters 'mab' meant mabine (mouse) based, i.e. it has certain mouse proteins within. Infliximab, adalimumab (humira), tocilizumab etc. DD

Sorry DD! not quite right....

For the sake of clarity infliximab is a mouse-human chimeric (humanised) antibody while adalimumab was constructed from a fully human monoclonal antibody. Etanercept is a TNF receptor-IgG fusion protein. Tocilizumab is a humanized monoclonal antibody against the interleukin-6 receptor (IL-6R). (Arthritis Research UK)

ModeratorIA
  • tkachev
    Options
    Thank you Moderator.

E

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • tkachev
    Options
    I agree DD. Mouse droppings all over the tea towels is horrible!

E

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I didn't say it was correct, I said that that was what I was told.

Again no joy. Bait taken, traps un-sprung. If this carries on then damn the humane version, we'll turn nasty. DD
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    We live overlooking fields..and we regularly get mice calling in...they..and rats come to that.. there is a brook across the road...to cut a long story short..a few years ago we invested in the ultrasonic devices...we did think they weren't working...but slowly but surely ...we are now mouse and rat fee....they do pop in from time to time but they soon go on there way.
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    Moderator wrote:
    Tocilizumab is a humanized monoclonal antibody against the interleukin-6 receptor (IL-6R).

Hey, I thought we had to stick to English :lol:

Numptydumpty - I love your post.

DD - when we used to get mice in our old house we regularly borrowed next door's cat. Sometimes it caught them and sometimes it didn't but it did frighten them away. I feel a new 'air-freshener' product coming on - essence of cat. Maybe your mouse has a chocolate allergy and you should be baiting the trap with the stuff it clearly enjoys - binbags, new dishcloths and tea towels and the iron. (The iron :shock: Are you sure this is a mouse?)

Seriously, it is a health hazard and a worry. Maybe time to summon up all your murderous instincts.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Options
    On a purely , serious yukky note , DD , you and Mr DD must get rid of your mice ( there's always more than 1 ) for the sake of your well being . Mice urinate constantly which can't be good for those of us with dodgy immune systems . Tell Mr DD ; it's time to get tough with the intruders . Jillyb
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I urinate constantly too. I think I'll buy them little mice loos. :) We have discovered that he is a rather plump field mouse (so it's possibly Waldegrave) and he has been absent over the past four nights. I can tell by the absence of anal detritus. DD
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    oh dear dd that pesky mouse
    Hope Mr dd can catch him soon

wheres our RA when he is needed, :roll:

love juliepf x
  • Numptydumpty
    Options
    If I could be any creature on earth,
    and I say this without laughter or mirth.
    I would be a little squeaky mouse,
    and I would live in DD's house.
    I wouldn't touch her food, dish cloth or tea towel,
    I'd try not to do anything filthy or foul.
    Instead I'd eat chocolate by the trap load,
    I'd eat so much I just might explode!
    If that humane trap should catch me one day,
    well a trip to the country would be O.K.
    Then I'd return to DD's house,
    you see, I'd be a homing mouse.
    Numpty
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Oh! Numpty! I don't know what to say: being somewhat fragile at the moment I am so touched by your little verse and very nearly crying. :oops: Thank you, that was lovely - I'm going to see if my blasted printer will co-operate so I have a permanent record of it! Thank you my lovely. DD

Yay! Success! :D That has made my day, thank you once again. ((())) xx
  • Numptydumpty
    Options
    Hi DD, I'm so sorry you're not feeling so good at the moment. You do seem to be having a rough time of late.
    I'm glad my little poem cheered you up. My dad and I used to send each other silly little rhymes all of the time. I think that's the first one I've written since he died, 20 years ago!
    All the best,
    Numpty
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Numpty I loved your poem :D it is great and really made me smile :D

DD what a lovely way for someone to cheer you up :)

Love Juliepf x
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    This little creature is not just clever, he is a genuis. I baited the trap with some chocolate and hid it behind the laundry bin in the bathroom. I peered down at it this morning AND THE TRAP FLAP WAS CLOSED. I duly reported to Mr DD that it looked as though Operation Mouse had been successful! :D

He went down at 9.30 to do the necessary and the trap was empty. And the chocolate gone. :shock:

Dammit. DD
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Oh Del, I fear you may well be right. We have lost the door to the pan cupboard (ancient kitchen and fittings) so I reckon said mouselet may be clambering (and weeing) all over our pans. I don't usually get wound up by the vicissitudes of life but this is now beginning to concern me. TTO.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I agree, not with much happiness but I think you are correct. :( The mouse has the same right to life as me, we could kill each other but in my case it's deliberate. DD
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    delboy wrote:
    I don't like killing things that I don't eat but exceptions need to be made.

Or, you could eat the mouse afterwards. :lol:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Ye gods! Mouse kebabs anyone? :shock:
  • Numptydumpty
    Options
    I think I've gone off the idea of being a mouse in DD's house!
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I don't blame you! :) Mr DD has collypopsed into bed (thanks to an unusual surfeit (for him) of red wine) so I guess I'm trap-setting again. :roll: Worry not, Numpty, it's still the humane versions. DD