Handbags and Walking Sticks

Options
JuliaHod12
JuliaHod12 Member Posts: 456
edited 4. Apr 2012, 06:25 in Community Chit-chat archive
Handbag problem sorted a long time ago........just bought one with a longer strap and have it slung over head/ shoulder

What to do with the walking stick though.......haven't ever mastered the art of the following whilst holding said stick;

a) handling purse contents & paying for stuff
b) feeling vunlnerable at public place ATM with purse/ card in hand

Suggestions anyone?

Julia xx

Comments

• lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Julia,

You can get small straps for your walking stick. You could thread your hand through and have it dangling from your wrist whilst you handled your money.

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Like this from Amazon

41rbLt4x7-L_SL500_AA300_-1.jpg

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • JuliaHod12
    JuliaHod12 Member Posts: 456
    Options
    Hi Lindalegs

oooh, that is spiffing..........:-)

thanks very much xx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Julia
    I have a strap on my stick but I still struggle with it, what you have to be aware of when holding it by the strap is you can trip over it.
    Now just thought of something...a bigger strap that can go over shoulder whilst getting your money out your purse.
    And then again... :?
    Love
    Barbara
  • Puschinka
    Puschinka Member Posts: 176
    Options
    Very funny :D Barbara12 !!! I like it, lol.
    How about this : Always have someone with you, who will do the paying for you - out of their wallet. That would really help. And solve more than one problem. :lol:
    Seriously though - this is a problem, even if not a massive one, that frustrates,annoys and hinders me every day too. And I've tried the loop around my wrist and the dangling stick getting in the way and threatening to trip me up, is just as annoying. :(
    A new invention is called for!!!
    Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans.
  • waddle
    waddle Member Posts: 116
    Options
    shops and the council could employ people to take care of your stick whilst at the till and cash point thus making sure your safe at either point and cutting down the jobless numbers, seriously thought i have the same problem and would love a solution,
    Waddle :)
  • freesia
    freesia Member Posts: 409
    Options
    I have a little (long strap / cross body bag) which has a separate compartment - which is kept 'next to the body' for security.. this has a built in card/cash section...

It takes a bit of getting used to, but I find it easier than handling a separate purse, so long as you can use a zip with one hand that is.....

Loving Puschinka's idea of getting someone else to pay.... teehee

Happy Days :D
    hugs freesia xxx
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Options
    Maybe use the stick as a weapon similar to a truncheon while at the till or cashpoint , 2 problems solved ! Jillyb
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I rest my crutches against the counter and trap them with my belly, that leaves both hands free for the handbag/rucksack, and my purse has a thread tied onto the stupid little zip so that I can easily undo it. In the days when I was using an NHS walking stick (aaaah! Happy days!) I would hang that on the counter. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben