Daft question... Well - I am new... x

Options
freesia
freesia Member Posts: 409
edited 6. Apr 2012, 13:53 in Community Chit-chat archive
:D

Being quite new to all this & you lovely forum members...

BUT...

What does AC & POCKET DUTIES mean....??

I know I'm daft - but gotta ask...

And are there anymore little "quotes" you use as well...

Hope you all have a painfree Easter xx :wink:
hugs freesia xxx

Comments

• julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    freesia you are not daft it is a perfectly reasonable question :wink:

pocket duty is when a person is going to an appointment of some kind and would like forum members to cyberly jump in their pocket to give them courage and confidence that they will be ok.

It may sound strange but you going to an appointment or for surgery with the thought of all these lovely people in your pocket does really help. :)

I hope this explains pocket duty :) happy easter to you too x

Love Juliepf xx
  • waddle
    waddle Member Posts: 116
    Options
    AC is arthritis care, often used in the context of........ here on AC everyone is helpful etc etc

please dont feel daft , ive had to work it out and still dont know all the abreviations so please just ask away. some one will answer you.

pocket duties are comforting for the person on the recieving end, away of showing support etc.

i hope you are well and this helps. :D
    Waddle :)
  • Puschinka
    Puschinka Member Posts: 176
    Options
    Hi Freesia, first of all, they are my favourite flowers and their scent is sooo wonderful! I've read all your posts and been meaning to say 'hi and welcome' for ages but kept getting side tracked... so consider it done now :)
    I too am still in denial about my OA I think, but the more aches and pains I get( in my feet,thighs,hips and wrists and fingers ) :roll: the more I'm starting to accept it and and try to live with it all as best I can and not delude myself that this is just a 'passing phase'... and I'll be jumping around on my trampoline again before long. ( AS IF :o)
    Anyway - regarding your thread here and 'daft questions', I have one too:
    what's with the chinese ( or whatever ) writing post, that's had no views and no replies?
    Is it some sort of spammer or something?
    I've noticed one before a few weeks ago.
    Best wishes to you Freesia and have a Happy Chocolatey Easter! :D x
    Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hmmm, abbreviations. There are quite a few: these are off the top of my head.

OH = other half or occupational health (context usually tells you which)
    RA = rheumatoid arthritis or reactive arthritis (I used RcT for that one)
    PA or PsA = psoriatic arthritis
    PA = palindromic arthrits
    OT = occuaptional therapy
    OA = osteo-arthritis
    meds = medicines
    BP or b/p = blood pressure
    FA = folic acid
    ARC = Arthritis Research Council
    NRAS = National Rheumatoid Arthritis Society

There are loads more (there was a good thread on this on LWA a long time ago) but my brain has run dry. :roll:

It's just occurred to me that we need one for osteoporosis, I don't think I've ever seen an abbreviation for that! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Right, Puschinka, threads in foreign are always spammers and you can report them: click on the red exclamation mark that is at the bottom right-hand of every post, a drop down menu will appear and you can choose the spam option, then click on submit and the mods will take care of it. DD
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    hi welcome there are no daft questions on here a lot of us have painfull hands and typing a problem so if we can shorten it we can if there is ever any thing that does not make sence some one will tell you i still get all the operations muddles but so long as we care and suport each other it does not matter to much pocket duties have got me to more rhumatolagy appointments than you would belive it still scares me to death and the thought of this lot in my pocket with egg sandwiches flasks of tea keep my mind off it. val
    val
  • Puschinka
    Puschinka Member Posts: 176
    Options
    Thanks for that DD - and I've figured out what LWA means, lol. :wink:
    Have a Happy Easter and do save some chocs for that little mouse of yours!x
    Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi freesia
    Our lovely Cris started pocket duties, it really does make a difference when going for appointments or going into hospital...people jump into your pocket and come with you..nice to know they are thinking about you :D:D
    But there are a few mischievous one so be aware.. :lol:
    Love
    Barbara
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Hi Freesia,

A daft question doesn't exist on these forums. Anything you don't know please feel free to ask.

One member wondered if we were all related to someone called arthur till she realised that it was short for arthritis ............so she confessed, that still makes me laugh now! :lol::lol:

Have a good Eater too?

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    I managed to work some abbreviations out but not others. I think pocket duties is a brilliant idea. Quite funny to imagine people in my pocket with picnics to keep them going. :lol:
    Christine
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    Welcome to the forum, freesia. It can all seem a little puzzling to begin with, but you will soon get the hang of things. Re, pocket duties, sometimes the pockets get very crowded when everyone squeezes in, but we're used to that. Also, the picnics turn into feasts as everyone brings lovely food and drink. It does help a lot to know that people are so kind and supportive though, as I'm sure you will discover.

Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • freesia
    freesia Member Posts: 409
    Options
    WOW

What a funny & daft lot you all are.... hahahahaha

I'm SO very glad i've found you all, some of those comments have made me really chuckle...

Thanks for the tips..xx

HAPPY EASTER xx :lol:
    hugs freesia xxx
  • Turbogran
    Turbogran Member Posts: 2,023
    Options
    Hi Freesia
    Welcome from me too, Funny and daft that we are for sure but all the lovely folk on here are great at making life with good old arthur feel a lot better. although sometimes i go for periods without posting on here when i do i always get a good response and it's great to be able to get feedback from people who really do know how you are feeling, finding this forum was one of the best things i ever did since i found myself being affected by Arthur. :D
    Stay positive always👍xx
  • coco67
    coco67 Member Posts: 2,374
    Options
    hi fresia

there are no daft questions hun, you will be surprised how many peeps have read this and learned what some of the abrieviations mean also, you were just brave enough to ask, i hope you have found the relys helpful and any other questions just ask,

it took me a few days to work out who arthur was when i first joined, i wasnt sure if everyone was refering to another member at first :oops: :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: so weve all done it x
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    The first time I saw Arthur mentioned, I went scrolling through the thread to find out what he had posted. :lol:
    Christine
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Personally, I LOATHE that abbreviation. My late and belovéd Pa was christened Arthur, an historic and honourable name. Why people anthropomorphise this rubbish disease is incomprehensible but it is their right so to do. DD
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    i thinl arther my fault as the dogs at work have a toy animal with the lable arther on and i just love the thought of arther being chewed by the dogs val
    val
  • coco67
    coco67 Member Posts: 2,374
    Options
    nice thought, if only it was that easy to get rid of this horrid cruel disease. the name arthur for it is ok with me, not quiet so depressing as arthritis or clinincal. i look on it as my unwelcome lodger but each to there own were all different. some people hate being called, pet, hun chick etc and some dont mind so i think its a personal thing. and arthritis will always be arthur to me now.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    It's no-one's fault Val, I did not mean that at all. :oops: I didn't know about the hounds at your work but I can grasp why the abbreviation occurs. The full word is not that easy to spell or type - I don't like the disease but I will always use its proper name, that's all. I feel that there is something pleasing about it (I have a love for words even though I appreciate that for some they hold nothing but fear - after all, English is a magpie language). DD