Hi, Welcome!

The community is a safe space for people living with and connected to arthritis to ask questions and share experiences. Get started by registering here and posting your first comment or question!

Sign In with a Versus Arthritis account

limb hair loss

chrissyclchrissycl Posts: 27
hi wonder if you can offer any advice ,
I have R A and have been taking Salazopyrin EN-Tabs 500mg for since diagnosed (2 years) and Enbrel injections for 14 months and have just noticed the I am losing hair from my arms and legs,not my head although this is a little thin from taking luefonamide over 18 months ago. I wondered whether these drugs may be the cause . has anyone else suffered from anything similar.
thank you

Comments

• MrDJMrDJ Posts: 200
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Chrissy
    ive been on Salazopyrin otherwise known as salfasalazine for 27 years. i used to be on a hefty dose of 6 a day until i started methotrexate and infliximab 7 years ago and have now cut down to 2 a day.
    i must admit ive never noticed any hair loss with said drug.

i wouldnt worry at the moment but if you get a chance maybe ring the rhumy nurse on the hospital help desk if yours has one just for piece of mind.
  • chrissyclchrissycl Posts: 27
    Thanks will be seeing nurse in a couple weeks so will save any worring till then
  • helpline_teamhelpline_team Posts: 2,009
    Hi Chrissy

Thanks for your posting.

For information on the side effects of Salazopyrin EN-Tabs ( contains Sulfasalazine) see http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/drugs/sulfasalazine/possible-side-effects.aspx and on Enbrel (Etanercept) see http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/drugs/etanercept/possible-side-effects.aspx.

Neither specifically mentions hair loss, so as MrDJ mentioned it would be a good idea to speak to your rheumatology nurse about this.

You are welcome to ring our helplines on 0808 800 4050 if you would like to have a chat about this.

Regards

Nick
    Helplines Team
  • chrissyclchrissycl Posts: 27
    thank you for the info, I will be speaking to my rhummy nurse soon so will raise this with her . although iI have since found out that this happened to my mum after the menopause so maybe its a family thing.