Hello

Options
Dormouse
Dormouse Member Posts: 3
edited 12. Apr 2012, 13:16 in Say Hello Archive
Hi to everyone,
I'm new to the messageboard here. I was diagnosed with RA in May 1989, at the age of 25. I was secretary of a local branch of Arthritis Care for several years but that group was disbanded.
I have a couple of friends with chronic illnesses and an excellent GP and Rheumatologist but sometimes it would just be nice to chat to someone else who understands what's it's like when your fingers can't open that tin of beans or do up that button or when you just feel too tired to think.............!!!! :D

Comments

• applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Dormouse. I've not been on here very long but have found everyone to be friendly and helpful. They are always willing to listen and support.
    Christine
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    Hi Dormouse. Welcome from me too. Mine's also RA.

It's good that you have a good GP and rheumatologist. You will gather, as you read comments on here, that they are worth their weight in gold.

Now then, opening tins - that's the electric can opener and jars is the electric jar opener. If there's a power cut I'm limited :) However, my button fastener works without electricity but my husband is a lot quicker if he's around.

Please join in anywhere you like. We certainly know more than we'd wish about arthritis :lol:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello Dormouse, it's lovely to meet you and I am glad you have found us! Many of us on here are arthritic veterans and we know how difficult life can be from time to time, there is always someone around on here to listen to any moans or grumbles as well as the odd bit of good news. I hope to see your name here and there around the forum and I hope you like being here with us. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Dormouse
    Dormouse Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Thank you for the welcoming comments :)
    I'm panicking ever so slightly at the mo because I've got the fit for work assessment coming up and apparently it's not geared to assess people with variable conditions. :( So I'm a bit worried about that as I've not been well enough to work lately although I do help out at a local charity shop on a volunteer basis. My background is in teaching (adult education - English, Maths, Computer Skills).
    Methotrexate has been my sanity lifeline - I was introduced to this wonder drug in 1998, after years of various other medications that worked for a while and then simply couldn't be bothered to put in the healing effort anymore! :D Meth worked a treat and thankfully still does.
    I'm currently awaiting replacement knees. My previous much-loved consultant said mine were useless so I could have them done as soon as I said the word - but then he toddled off to a better-paid job in Wolverhampton and my new consultant said he doesn't agree with replacement knees before the age of 50 regardless of how painful they are. This was two years ago and I've trained him up a bit now and he's finally agreed to refer me to a surgeon to see what he thinks.
    I also have asthma and blood that clots if you take your eye off it for a second so my handbag fair rattles with all the pills n potions I have to cart around with me! So I'm just going to find a nice spot on this forum and make myself comfy! :D
  • barking1
    barking1 Member Posts: 185
    Options
    Hello Dormouse
    i am a recent member of the forum but welcome from me to and i hope you get the knees sorted out soon x Jane
  • mummy2LeoandRiley
    mummy2LeoandRiley Member Posts: 7
    Options
    Hi!!

I would love to meet your new doctor and see what he says about a girl who had a total hip replacement aged 23! Hopefully now you are seeing the surgeon they will get it sorted! After having my hip done it was amazing, a whole new lease of life....well to a point as other joints still like to pitch in every now and again!
    I hope your assessment goes well. I find things like that scary -DLA etc as they don't account for variable conditions like ours at all!

Hope you are sitting comfortably...! :D
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Ah Dormouse, I too am waiting for new knees. I have another two years or so to go (the ortho I saw wants me to be 55 and at least two more stones lighter) but by the time I get there well, I don't know. I strongly think that these joints need to be given to younger people so that they gain the greatest benefit. I know the old chestnut of revision is trotted out but honestly. :roll: I needed the benefit last year, the year before that but now? My ankles are crumbling, my toes are painful, and as for the sacro-iliacs . . . . . . Grrrr. :) I bet ortho surgeons would change their tunes if they were living as we do. My original ortho spends his time doing triathlons so it may not be long before he is. Hah! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben