advice please...Pregabalin/Gabapentin??

Options
nearlybionic
nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
edited 27. Apr 2012, 05:32 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi
Sorry that I have not been around recently but my laptop has died!! I am sneaking on Mr NB`s computer whilst he`s at work. I hope you are all ok xx
Since my fall in February I have been suffering with sciatica due to bulging disc`s at L5 area. I am having lossof/ altered sensation in my legs and feet as a result. My back and hips are very painful also. I am takin Naproxen, Coco`s 30/500, Omeprazole and Amitriptylline at night. The Amitrip is helping with getting some sleep and relieving symptoms at night, but i am really strugging during the day. My physio suggested Pregabalin or Gababpentin , but I have read up on them and it still says drowsiness and I need to be able to drive/work in the day.
Any advice??
Thanks xx
NB

Comments

• CJHunter
    CJHunter Member Posts: 1,038
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi NB, dont think i have posed on one of yrs before, well hi anyhow:smile: (havent been on here much lately)

Ok Pregab, I know for some it knocks them sideways but for me it is great , im not sure I would drive to work though but I have mnaged to get Access to Work Taxi, (DWP website) Dunno if you've looked into this, it may benefit you and you could take the meds witout worrying too much then about the drowsiness. Personally the co co's made me far worse.

Do let me know how you get on.
    Take care
    Clare xxeyeore-1.jpg
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    HI NB,Glad to see you posting even though its a sneaky one,i had to sneak on my daughters laptop a few weeks ago when my pc had a hissy fit.Cant help with the meds question but its good to see you back.Mig
  • nearlybionic
    Options
    Hi Clare
    Thanks for your reply. I am waiting for a call from the GP tomorrow to discuss meds. I have had Access to Work for equipment etc at work but don`t think a taxi would be suitable for me as I work as a community nurse and drive most of the day. I don`t think I would get a chauffeur!! (although it might be worth a try! :wink: )
    I am ok with the coco`s and had Amitriptylline on a much higher dose than I am now, i the past and it didn`t knock me out then. Wierd how these meds affect us differently.
    I will let you know how I get on
    Thanks
    NB x
  • nearlybionic
    Options
    Hi Mig
    I have used my daughters laptop when she is out, but when she is home it is physically attached to her!!
    I am hoping my new one is coming tomorrow than I will br independent again!
    Good to hear from you x
    NB
  • Folara
    Folara Member Posts: 568
    Options
    Hi NB

Sorry I can't help with the meds question but would also be interested in what others say as I am supposed to be starting pregabolin soon.

Fols x
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi NB
    I have gabapentin, I think that pregablin is the newer drug, anyhow it didnt really leave me drowsy..well no more than I am normally.. :lol: but I did find my concentration was bad...but then again I take amys...and they can do that...sorry Im not being much help here, but my goodness did it work on the sciatic pain I had, even now I get the twinges but the pain isnt half has bad
    Good luck with whatever you decide xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • roses1
    roses1 Member Posts: 1,850
    Options
    Hi NB,

I have recently been put on Gabapentin, i have had a couple days where i have been a bit dizzy and shivery and felt yuk then been ok and then a couple days again the same but persevered as we got to try and they have helped me feel 'lighter' in the muscle department of my arms, and a few less muscle spasms. Not felt drowsy at all.

Hope you do well on it if you choose it.

Rose x
  • madwestie
    madwestie Member Posts: 383
    Options
    NB i have been on Gabapentin 600mg 3x's day for about a year now and although someday i do feel tired i think that is more to do with the Rheumatoid than the Gabapentin. i do find it very good for helping with the pain it doesn't get rid of all of it but at least i can walk albeit very slowly which i couldn't do without them. i work fulltime in a very technical job and it hasn't had any effect on my ability to do my job.

I hope you get something sorted out

Tracey
  • traluvie
    traluvie Member Posts: 2,579
    Options
    Hi NB,

I take gabapentin, i find it has helped alot with my nerve pain. Cant say i am more drowsy than usual, might be worth talking it through with GP regarding dose and wether you would be safe to drive,it might take time for it to get in your system and then settle down.. Hope you sort things out..
    th_tn_TisFORTIGGER.jpgxxTracyxx
  • desjumeaux
    desjumeaux Member Posts: 52
    Options
    I have just started taking gabapentin, I have been on it about three weeks now. At first I was drowsy, so didn't drive much for a week or so. I think I must be getting used to it now and feel able to drive.

I was started on a low dose and gradually increasing over the weeks so 100 grm three times a day is now 200g four times a day.

However I take codine as well and when the pain is bad, and when I take that with the gabapentin I do tend to feel tired and can often be found asleep in the armchair which is not normal for me.

All that said, I am starting to feel a difference in the pain first thing in the morning so it must be working.

Good luck,
  • nearlybionic
    Options
    Hi
    Wow! Thankyou all for your replies. It is brilliant to get first hand advice and experience.
    It is reassuring that you all seem to say these meds do help with the nerve pain, and that if there has been some drowsiness it seems to ease off.
    tracey, I am glad you say you are able to do your job whilst on it too. I think I will talk to the GP about trying it.
    I will let you all know how I get on.
    Thanks again
    NB
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,482
    Options
    Hi there Nearly

Good to see you :D

I tried gabapentin, but Cris skezier is on pregablin and swears by them.

I guess trial and error same as most meds.

Do let us know how you get on

Love

Toni xxx
  • desjumeaux
    Options
    One thing that you should be aware of with Gabapentin, it does give you wind, or it does me anyway.

My husband and grandchildren think its hilarious as I never did it before. (Well they didn't hear me anyway). :oops:
  • nearlybionic
    Options
    Hi Toni
    Good to see you x i will let you know how I get on

Hi Desjumeaux,
    Ha ha that made me laugh!! I hope it doesn`t have that effect on me, I am bad enough already!! :oops:

NB
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Nearly,

So good to see you :D

Flower I have been on the pregabs for years now... took me a long time to get to the full 600 but hell have they worked!

For me the nerve pain is huge and I actually felt them work the first time I took them. i have had some side effects... mostly ok but ....

They have reacted with the iloprost somehow and I spent the night with a singing tree..... I have only hallucinated 3x and 2 of them were the trees..... I have no idea why but the 1st one (again with the iloprost) was fairly unpleasant.....

They have never made me drowsy... they go the other way and can sometimes make me feel a bit wired.....

I honestly forgive them anything as they work so well with the nerve pain but its only relief .... sadly ..... but the first one... I almost had a pain free day but as you adjust to them they don't work quite as well....

They do still help me even after this length of time and well flower I so hope you get some relief from which ever you go for.

The rumo stuck me on the pregabs as he said they are better and have less resistance than the gabs. they are second generation and they gave me so much of my life back I will forgive them anything.

Hey I only ever have the hallucination thing with the iloprost so now we knock it back to 50 4x a day with the drip.

Lets us know how you get on and I so hope they will work well which ever they put you on. A ((((( ))))) and so many hopes. Cris xx

Sorry the eyes are shot.... had to edit some of the spelling and the rest.... I just say sorry :roll:
  • Annah
    Annah Member Posts: 92
    Options
    I'm on gabapentin. It has never made me drowsy, but at first, it made me feel kind of spaced out, like nothing bad could ever happen in the world. This was helpful for my driving (I'm an overly nervous driver), but a bit scary when I decided to try cooking a recipe I'd never attempted before - over confidence did not help!

It also made me light-headed and gave me a bit of vertigo, but as I increased the dose slowly, it wasn't too bad.

Gabapentin makes a huge difference to my foot pain, which is partly due to nerve damage. It stops the horrible burning feelings. It's also helped my restless leg syndrome, even though it wasn't to treat that and I didn't know I had RLS until after the gabapentin (it was normal to me, you see). However, gaba does nothing at all for my hip pain, which is probably osteo (awaiting results).

Now I've been on gaba about 3 years, I can't say I notice any side-effects. And I only realised it was doing anything when I had to come off it for a while, prior to some medical tests.
  • desjumeaux
    Options
    Hi, it was interesting to read your post Annah, I have been on gabapentin for about 6 weeks and I find it seems to help some areas of pain and not others. I found that a little odd.

I am still increasing the dose so hope it improves with time.
  • mates
    mates Member Posts: 24
    Options
    Hi,

I have been on Pregabalin for around 6 weeks and it has been fantastic. I had really disabling nerve pain down my arm (from neck arthritis) and it has really got on top of this and I am to live life again.
    It doesn't seem to help muscle pain or aching within the joint much or it doesn't for me anyway. They do seem to have triggered some double vision which I know can be a side affect but I have a residual squint anyway so I'm not surprised.
    They really have been a miracle drug for me!