Prednisolone

Options
ELAINE55555
ELAINE55555 Member Posts: 123
edited 27. Apr 2012, 12:34 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi All,
I,m fairly new to all this, I was dignosed with RA back in October. I am currently on Mxt, hydroxychloroquine and diclofenic. I am also taking prednisolone, 10mg and 7 1/2 mg day about. Is this not a long time to be on steroids? Ive asked to come off them, but I only get cut down bit by bit. Also I feel I have become quite "fatty" around my neck area and this is worrying me.Is this the steroids? I dont see the rhumatologist until mid May. Apart from tiredness and the odd couple of days a week when my wrists are stiff and painful, I seem to be doing ok. Eagerly awaiting your replies!

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    If you were only diagnosed in October, Elaine55555, it's early days yet. And coming off pred slowly is the surest way to do it. I expect they don't want you to rush things until they can be sure the other meds have taken over.

I'm not sure about your neck. I certainly did the classic 'moonface' thing on pred but I can't say I noticed any difference in my neck. (Too busy staring at my face :lol: ) Maybe others will be able to help.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    I think coming off the pred slowly is the way to do it,thats how i had to do it ,lots of others did it that way too.good luck to you.Mig
  • ELAINE55555
    ELAINE55555 Member Posts: 123
    Options
    Thanks for your speedy reply, stickywicket (why did I not think of a cool name lol) It really helps to be able to talk to others in the same boat. I, too have the moon face and hamster cheeks, now its the flipping fat neck! Thats why I'm desperate to get off these steroids, but what your saying about making sure the meds are working does make sense.
  • caroldeeg
    caroldeeg Member Posts: 51
    Options
    Please make sure that u come off the pred as advisedby the doctor as it can be dangerous to stop taking them suddenly
  • PatriciaH
    PatriciaH Member Posts: 77
    Options
    Hi Elaine :)

I am also on steroids 10mg/7.5mg. Was on 30mg for a fair while and have been gradually working my way down. This has taken nearly two years!!! It is really important that you do this gradually. One step at a time. No, it is not ideal to be on these long term but sometimes it is necessary until we get drugs that we can tolerate and start taking the inflammation away. You are on a combination now so you shouldn't need to be on the steroids any longer than you have to be. Most rheumatologists want you to be off them as much as we want to be off them, if that makes sense!!!

I also have the hamster cheeks and moon face - yuk. My neck was definitely effected. Well kind of under my chin and down towards my neck. Not a pretty sight. It is not as bad now I am on a lower dose but very much still there. Won't we feel thin once we are off them though. That is a positive!!!

Hope all goes well with your reduction. It just takes a little time....

Patricia x
  • phoenixoxo
    phoenixoxo Member Posts: 625
    Options
    Hi Elaine,

I'm on pred too, just 10mg daily now, but I started on 30mg daily in February 2011. Things have settled down as I've decreased the dose, but at its highest I looked very puffy in the face and neck area even though I'd just come out of hospital and I was two stone underweight! I'm sure the swelling will ease once you begin to come off this treatment, and I hope your other meds will keep you mobile.

Best wishes,
    Phoebe
    PsA (psoriatic arthritis) and other things since 1990. Happy to help when I can :-)
  • muffy
    muffy Member Posts: 72
    Options
    I am so glad someone has asked about Prednisolone/Steroids. Yesterday the hospital phoned to say they want to start Steroids as well as Leflunomide, nothing so far has done any good, I don't like the idea as when I have been on them previously I gained weight and it irritated the stomach so had to have yet more pills for that, I have been churning it over in my head ever since. I have more or less come to the decision I am going to stop everything and let nature take it's course. Methotrexate damaged my liver, Leflunomide doesn't work, I can't take Sulfasalazine for medical reasons and Steroids have their own problems. I am fed up with the whole thing, I have been going to the hospital for close on a year and feel I am just being experimented on with no end in sight.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    Please don’t do that, muffy. It might seem like a good idea now but it won’t later.

One glance at my posts on this forum is enough to show I don’t believe in taking unnecessary meds and I’m not a bit advocate of steroids. However…..

My guess is that they’re only suggesting steroids in order to buy a bit of time for the lef to work. Sometimes these things do take what seems to be an age. Often they’ll use a steroid jab for this but I’ve a feeling you once said they don’t work for you. The stomach protectors are a very safe pill (according to my GP) so not one that I ever worry about taking.

You are not ‘being experimented with’, muffy: it’s just that it can take a long time to find the right med for each person – one that works but has the fewest possible side effects. We are all different. There’s no ‘one size fits all’ solution. If only :roll:

Have a chat with either your rheumatologist or GP (if you don’t need to see the rheumatologist) and explain how you feel. There are other meds about. This isn’t the end of the line. However, if this is simply envisaged as short term help for the lef, why not go for it?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • cthornley
    cthornley Member Posts: 627
    Options
    I took prednisone for about 2yrs, 30mg, whilst trying to conceive, throughout pregnancy and whilst breastfeeding as I couldn't stay on the mtx.
    I got a classic moon face which I didn't notice at the time but it's clear from the photos.
    I have no lasting damage but did have rather a lot of monitoring (mainly because of the pregnancy) but I would expect this if you are on dmards anyway. The steroids really helped me and i would expect they would give you a chance to get enough DMARDS in your system for it to have a noticeable effect. If you are concerned have a word with your doc, whatever you do don't stop suddenly. You need to taper off your dose and it's best done under medical supervision.
    Chrissie