Swelling but no (extra) pain

Options
Starburst
Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
edited 28. Apr 2012, 05:05 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello all! It's been almost a month since I've popped my head around the corner thanks to being snowed under with uni work. I've done 10,000 words and have another 5,000 to go with the end in sight on 10th May. :D

I don't know if it's because I'm spending a lot of time at the computer or if it's the damp weather but my joints are very swollen. The pain is no worse than usual but I have fat wrists, elbow squish and proper sausage fingers and toes. I usually suffer with pain and swelling or just pain but never just swelling. Is it a common symptom for other people? Oh the weird and wonderful world of RA, eh?

As per OT's recommendation, I'm using cold water baths which takes some getting used to! I desperately need to make the stiffness disappear. Don't give up on me yet, joints 'cause we've only got a couple of weeks to go!

Comments

• mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Wonder where you were,glad the work is going well.Mig
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    I'm glad the work's going well, too, Starburst. I'm not sure about the swelling though. I could understand it if it was just your fingers (and wrists/elbows/shoulders :roll: ) with all the extra typing but I don't see why the lower limbs should kick in and it does seem odd for there to be no extra pain.

I can only suggest you don't sit at the keyboard for too long - I think they reckon we should take a break every 20-30 minutes, walk around, brew up, anything to give some muscles a break and get others moving.

You know what I'm going to say next, don't you :roll: If in doubt, get it checked out.

Good luck with the uni stuff.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi starburst
    I did wondered how you were getting on, you poor thing , you must rest up after you have done your uni work, and if any one can do it...its you
    And don't forget we are all behind you.
    Good Luck with it all...and I do hope the swelling eases up for you very soon xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Hi Strburst, it could be a mix of the 2, you really need to take breaks while on a computer for long periods of time. Split your time, say every 1/2hr on computer have a 10-15min break. I know it sounds a long time but it isn't you can have a toilet break and something to eat and drink. And you don't want to over load your brain with 2 much.
    And the recent damp cold weather can play havock with your joints, mine are more painful and swollen than usual.
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Thank you for the replies and sorry for not responding back.

A massive, evil flare up has entered my life. The swelling has been joined by stiffness, pain and I feel pretty darn poorly. I should have seen it coming, my hair has been coming out in clumps for the last week or so. :( I've been making a note of how often I'm getting bad flare ups which hopefully will help rheumy see the bigger picture.

I promise I'll be back on here, posting and replying again after my work has finished. For now, I'm in la la land....my head is filled with sociological theories, the national occupation standards for social work and reflective accounts!

Sending love to all of you very special people.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,483
    Options
    Oh Starbusrt!

I am so sorry about the flare and hope it's a short-lived one :(

Also all the social-work theory you just quoted :shock: brought back some memories for me!

Take care plough on and my fingers are crossed for you

Love

Toni xxx