First rheumy appoinment brought some relief.

Options
Puschinka
Puschinka Member Posts: 176
edited 27. Apr 2012, 17:16 in Living with Arthritis archive
My first rheumy appmnt today was with a very nice consultant who listened, didn’t rush and examined me thoroughly. Result:
Early signs of OA in hands and fingers. Arthur's not content to be confined to my knees only, it seems. :(
Apart from that –there’s some soft tissue tenderness and some muscle weakness here and there, but he said it's nothing to be unduly worried about.( Good :) )
The stabbing pains in my shins and thighs he puts down to referred pain from my knees and as part and parcel of OA.
The pains and feelings of weakness in my arms and legs he couldn't quite explain as yet but thinks it's partly a side effect of my altered walk )aka limp :? )
with my stick or crutch, throwing my whole body out of alignment and partly due to my being simply exhausted from getting little sleep at night.
The reason my sleep is so poor is mostly down to the fact that the pain from my knees and sometimes my hands, wakes me up and keeps me awake, he said.

A tired and aching body doesn't cope well with even small demands on it, hence the feeling that every little effort is a huge effort.( Makes sense to me).
He ruled out RA and never even mentioned Fibro ( Good :) )
But he said it's possible that there's something else going on and bloodtests should show more.
It felt like they took half a pint :o -they tested for 5 or 6 different things.
I should get the results in a fortnight. He said there may just be some defficency that can easily be treated.
'Lets get you onto some proper pain management which should improve your sleep and give you back some strength during the day', he said.
So he prescribed Amitriptyline and said he would look into getting me something to help with my Restless Leg Syndrome which I've suffered from for years and which also drives me mad many a night. :x
My best friend came with me and took notes throughout,bless her, I decided to ask her at 11 pm yesterday and she re arranged her entire day to come with me today and she lives an hours' drive from me!
That's a true friend.
And he was a good consultant.
And I'm happy to share what I think is possibly and hopefully good news with all the lovely people on here who have supported me so nicely so far. :P
You all know who you are.xx
Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans.

Comments

• roses1
    roses1 Member Posts: 1,850
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Pushinka,

Sounds like you had a good appointment and some tests done! The Amitriptyline will help with the sleep and you will feel better for a bit of sleep :D I have heard its good for the restless leg syndrome too :D

A true friend indeed ! :D How kind of her to do all that !

Rose x
  • traluvie
    traluvie Member Posts: 2,579
    Options
    Good appointment, i'm glad..

Your moving forward thats the main thing, onwards and upwards hopefully..
    th_tn_TisFORTIGGER.jpgxxTracyxx
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    Hi Puschinka, I'm glad you had a good appointment, it makes such a difference. It's good you now have some answers.
    I wish you well with your blood results, and hope the new medication gives you some relief!
    All the best,
    Numpty
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    So glad your appointment wentwell,lets hope you are sorted with meds soon.Mig
  • Puschinka
    Options
    Thank you everybody, yes I do feel lucky in that my GP is great (he even phoned me yesterday afternoon to ask how I got on at the rheumy's and was pleased when I told him ) and the consultant I saw yesterday was also very good.
    It must be awful for people who are already in pain and in need of help, if they have to deal with an unhelpful and rude doctor.
    Like ading insult to injury.
    After all - they chose their profession, and caring for their patients ( and the clue is in the word... they should be PATIENT with us, always!) should always be the most important thing, and they do get paid well enough, at the end of the day. :?
    Still - not many would go the extra mile like my GP keeps doing.
    Hope you'r all reasonably okay today :? and that this never ending rain isn't making you too ill. xx
  • JuliaHod12
    JuliaHod12 Member Posts: 456
    Options
    Great news Puschinka :-)

onwards and upwards,hope the amitryptiline works for you :-)

good GPs are like gold dust......hang onto him!

Julia xx
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    so glad it went so well and they looking into everything so well val
    val
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,483
    Options
    Hi Puschinka

Welld done you. I am glad you have that hurdle out of the way and feel so reassured by the appointment.

I take amatriptyline too and find it really does help me.

I can't beleive how lovely your GP is :shock: actually calling YOU to see hwo you got on?

I am really pleased for you.

Love

Toni xxx
  • Puschinka
    Options
    Thanks Val and Toni, yes so am I :)
    I hope it won't be too long before I get the script for the Amitrip, can't wait to get started on it - as it seems like a light at the end of tunnel for me right now!
    My GP is a real gem, he has phoned me before when I couldn't get an appointment to see him get an appoinment to see and he does take a real interest. When I've been sat inn the waiting room before, I've heard some of his other patients talking highly of him.
    He's not a Youngster anymore.... so I just hope he won' bet retiring in the near future :o
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    Hi hun, glad that you have such a great GP and that the rhuemy appointment went so well..

Best of luck with the amytriptoline :D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Puschinka,

Good to see you had a good appointment and isn't it a relief when someone says lets get you some decent pain relief?

The Ampys work well and I really hope you get the script soon.

The sleepless night I so sympathise with.... Mine are often disturbed by pain and getting comfortable can be hard. I wonder though have you tried pillows and such like between your legs to help keep some of the weight off your knees? It also helps to keep you more comfortable.

Hang in there and its so good they are helping you. Cris x
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Hi Puschinka, Glad you had a good positive Rhummy appt, and that you also have a good relationship with your G.P. Hope you find the Amitriptyline a good med that helps along with other meds. So pleased things are coming together for you.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    It does make such a difference when you have a good appointment and the consultant is willing to listen and give you plenty of time.
    Im so glad it went well for you, xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • Puschinka
    Options
    Thanks Tony,Cris,Bubbadog and Barbara :)
    I've tried a cushion between my knees in bed, Cris.
    Various ones, in fact. Different shapes and sizes. Even a soft towel.
    Trouble is, it never stays in place as I toss and turn so much and then I get too warm as well and the cushion ends up getting flung across the room and later trips me up when I'm padding around the bedroom in the dark. (Nearly always wake up with pins and needles in my fingers and so hand can't find fiddly switch on bedside light) :?
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Puschinka,

I wonder if you can talk to an OT and maybe they could help you with something?

You can get some that strap on to your leg... can't say I fancy that one but....

Maybe the gp can help with the sleepless side a bit? A lot take the ampy's and that helps them get better quality sleep. Might be worth asking?

You mind what you trip over in the dark and the pins and needles.... they are looking into that I hope? You may have said but my eyes are not up to much good just now and the brain even less :wink:

Hang in there and I hope you get a good nights sleep. Cris x
  • Puschinka
    Options
    Thanks Cris, I will be starting on the much acclaimed Ampys on Monday, just posted a new thread re this.
    Strap on cushion for between the knees...?? :o
    Oh I say missus.... can't say I fancy that very much either, LoL... sounds a bit... erm weird.
    Warm greetings to you and thinking of you...xx