App With Doc Re Hip Pain

Options
elainebadknee
elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
edited 27. Apr 2012, 06:05 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi

Went to see my doctor this morning as been suffering hellish hip pain which she had said was trochanteric bursitis...Already have OCD of left knee which is getting replaced late this year/end of next year so do limp and use a stick.
Told her even though had knocked the hip abductor on head in the gym which was really aggravating the problem but its sore sitting, sleeping, swimming - all the time basically...
She didnt offer me any physio and suggested ibuprofen which has never worked for me, except for period pains...So she prescribed naproxen...She said to lay off my exercise but as Im to get down to as good a target wieght I can before op (have lost 3stone 3llbs so far) need to keep on top of that....Also said its the way I walk but was hoping for a bit more than naproxen...To put boot in too she was an hour late....
Felt a bit fed up when came out of appointment.....

Elainex

Comments

• dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Elaine,

Sending you lots of sympathy as I've had several months of terrible pain with bilateral trochanteric bursitis. The good news-my rheumy nurse arranged steroid injections in both hips followed by 2 days bed rest at home-now I'm pain free in one hips and much improved in the other-finally able to sleep without frequent cocos.

Maybe this would be a possibility for you? Hope you get it sorted soon.
    Deb
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Elaine
    Im sorry the appointment didnt go to well, they do like shelling out meds..Im sure we could all do there job.
    My consultant said to me that physio can irritate the hips more, and if it is bursitis then like she said you would be better staying away from the exercises that involve the hips
    I would still go to the gym but try and just exercise your arms , I know its not ideal, but hopefully it will settle down, if it doesn't I would ask about the injections . .
    Love
    Barbara
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi Deb

That didnt even get mentioned today just naproxen which I really feel will do me no good at all....Ive been in a lot of pain so thought plan of action may have been different...She did say she didnt think I have arfur in hips but has only done one examination on one hip...
    I will go and see about it again if this naproxen dont work and put it on the table..

Elainex
    dibdab wrote:
    Hi Elaine,

Sending you lots of sympathy as I've had several months of terrible pain with bilateral trochanteric bursitis. The good news-my rheumy nurse arranged steroid injections in both hips followed by 2 days bed rest at home-now I'm pain free in one hips and much improved in the other-finally able to sleep without frequent cocos.

Maybe this would be a possibility for you? Hope you get it sorted soon.
    Deb
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi Barbara

It was just frustrating as my dad had physio for his but he is 80....I can go to gym but I still need to do leg exercises otherwise the weight will go on again, I gain it so easily...
    Not hopeful on the naproxen at all..

Elainex
    barbara12 wrote:
    Hi Elaine
    Im sorry the appointment didnt go to well, they do like shelling out meds..Im sure we could all do there job.
    My consultant said to me that physio can irritate the hips more, and if it is bursitis then like she said you would be better staying away from the exercises that involve the hips
    I would still go to the gym but try and just exercise your arms , I know its not ideal, but hopefully it will settle down, if it doesn't I would ask about the injections . .
  • Annah
    Annah Member Posts: 92
    Options
    Ooo, I've had that. Painful. Although my doctor correctly diagnosed it, he was very sniffy "That's not your hip," he said, "that's your trocanter".

Well excuse me for not consulting my copy of Grey's Anatomy! I'd never even heard of a trocanter before (sounds like a horse going at a middling speed). And I think I'm right in saying most of us call that bit a hip?

Don't let anyone tell you that such "soft tissue rheumatism" as its sometimes called, is less painful than the boney stuff. I strongly suspect there's more nerves in the soft tissue, for a start, and healing is always sloooooow.

I found my heat pad helpful - its a thermostatically controlled electrical one, like a little electric blanket. I got it from Boots and it's so wonderful - it doesn't matter if you fall asleep because it automatically cuts out after 90 minutes. You can lie on it or just drape it over your sore side. I also invested in a memory foam mattress topper because I couldn't bear the sensation of a lumpy mattress and couldn't lie on my back.

I hope you're better soon. In the meantime, you have my sympathy and empathy.
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi Annah

Hmm does sound as if your doctor was trying to be very pedantic I mean we dont all know the terms for all the parts of the body do we?
    Thanks for sympathy and empahty...

Elainex
    Annah wrote:
    Ooo, I've had that. Painful. Although my doctor correctly diagnosed it, he was very sniffy "That's not your hip," he said, "that's your trocanter".

Well excuse me for not consulting my copy of Grey's Anatomy! I'd never even heard of a trocanter before (sounds like a horse going at a middling speed). And I think I'm right in saying most of us call that bit a hip?

Don't let anyone tell you that such "soft tissue rheumatism" as its sometimes called, is less painful than the boney stuff. I strongly suspect there's more nerves in the soft tissue, for a start, and healing is always sloooooow.

I found my heat pad helpful - its a thermostatically controlled electrical one, like a little electric blanket. I got it from Boots and it's so wonderful - it doesn't matter if you fall asleep because it automatically cuts out after 90 minutes. You can lie on it or just drape it over your sore side. I also invested in a memory foam mattress topper because I couldn't bear the sensation of a lumpy mattress and couldn't lie on my back.

I hope you're better soon. In the meantime, you have my sympathy and empathy.
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi Delboy

Thanks for congrats just wish I felt as good as everyone says I should feel!
    Im on co-proxamol not the tramadol......

Elainex
    delboy wrote:
    Firstly congrats on the weight loss.

Naproxen in conjunction with slow release Tramadol dulls the pain for me perhaps this combination would work for you.