headache and neck pain

Options
PollySid
PollySid Member Posts: 343
edited 2. May 2012, 09:39 in Living with Arthritis archive
I keep getting a headache which turns into neck and shoulder pain after a couple of hours. The only thing that helps is my wheat bag.
Do any of you who have OA in your upper spine/neck get it this way.
I took my Co co 30/500 about 2.30 so not due for another yet. I wish I had taken a 8/500 too as it feels atm.
This colder, damp windy weather doesn't see to be helping, I have got worse again the last couple of days. Even my fingers are a bit painful now, which thankfully, I don't get too often. I have come over really exhausted too, and all I did was lean on the shopping trolley as we went round the supermarket.
I hate this OA atm, I want my life back. We always looked forward to retirement, but if this is what it is like, they can keep it.
Sorry about the moan and self pity, just how I feel a nd I don't want to tell Alan and depress him.

Comments

• woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi,
    I've got cervical problems due to OA in the top few disks and it gives me an awful headache and pain in my shoulder. I find that heat around he neck helps me but some people prefer cold.
    Hope it gets a bit better soon
    Love Sue
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Polly,

I get a lot of headaches from the neck as well as the shoulder pain etc. I also get vertigo quite badly from it and the tablets that help with that tend to help with the headaches as well.

I hope you have a easier day and it will be kinder to you. Cris x
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Options
    Yes, I have cervical spondylosis and suffer from neck, shoulder pain and horrid headaches. I use a hot water bottle and a forehead headache strip that contains leventhol which relaxes the muscles, as mine go into spasm.

It is exhausting dealing with pain. Speak to your doc if the meds atrent helping, I take a combination to try and keep things under control, although I still get flare ups. This damp weather is not helping at all.

Take care
  • Heather65
    Heather65 Member Posts: 262
    Options
    :) hi im new on here im a 47 year old woman with cervical spondylosis im off to the hospital next week to see if i can get any answers but not holding out for much :? i have al the usual symptons and have pins and needles as im typing not much fun has anyone had dealings with a orthopaedic practitioner ? are they any better than a phyiso who im already seeing as wel as a chiropractor .
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello Pollysid, I do empathise as my neck and shoulders are rough at the moment but that is entirely due to stress. My fingers are 'fizzing' and I cannot close my fingers to make a fist, I guess that is related to the stress in those upper joints. A shopping trolley gives lovely support but please avoid 'hunching' your shoulders as you trundle it round, I stop every now and again and deliberately drop my shoulders and gently roll my head from side-to-side to ease muscle tension. As for the tiredness, well, that is part-and-parcel of arthritis (no matter what variant one has) and resting is the only answer. Pace yourself with chores, rest in-between, avoid stress as much as possible and I am sure your retirement will turn out to be better than you thnink possible. As for now, curl up with a good book (or Alan) and treat yourself to a lazy Monday. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • kizzy831
    kizzy831 Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Hello Pollysid and Dreamdaisy,

i emphasize with you both as i too have been having problems with my neck and shoulders. i try not to hunch and sit with my back straight against the back of the sofa with my head leaning against it to help me straighten up and take the pressure off. i find a heat bag helps to.

kirsty xx
  • Heather65
    Options
    hi i have cv and take solpadol 30/500 and recently was given naprosyn 500mg which has helped but i find the effect only lasts a few hours ! :(
  • SteveBurns
    SteveBurns Member Posts: 177
    Options
    I recently cut my paracetamol by half due to constant headaches.

My GP suggested they may be Analgesic headaches caused by too much paracetamol.

The headaches have gone so Doc must have been right. :)

More painful knees however :(
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    SteveBurns wrote:
    I recently cut my paracetamol by half due to constant headaches.

My GP suggested they may be Analgesic headaches caused by too much paracetamol.

The headaches have gone so Doc must have been right. :)

More painful knees however :(
    I was beginning to think I was the only one, my GP said that painkillers can caused headaches....I did give it a go dropping them and the headaches eased..Polly I do hope you can get some relief very soon, I use a wheat cushion on my shoulders and neck the ones you put in the microwave, it really does help x
    Love
    Barbara
  • PollySid
    PollySid Member Posts: 343
    Options
    My headache has gone now, not had one for a couple of days. It has shifted into the lower half of my left leg now. I have nerve pain that feels as if someone has kicked me on the shin. At least the Coco's give me some relief from it, but I sure do know when they are wearing off.
    It is strange how this OA moves from one part of the body to another. I'm dreading the day when it decides to hurt everything at the same time :shock:
  • Heather65
    Options
    Hi i find that cold is better for my neck and i also use a cold jel on my neck when its bad as well .