question... can they....??

Options
freesia
freesia Member Posts: 409
edited 28. May 2012, 04:10 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi there.. hope someone can help me... :?:

MY MAIN QUESTION IS.....

When seeing an occupational health person through a work referral, CAN "THEY" PHYSICALLY touch or examinate you (is this legal)
... or... is it all verbal questions...??

I just need to know what to expect from this appointment... I'm very anxious & worried about what they will do or say...

hugs, freesia x
hugs freesia xxx

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I'm sorry Freesia, I don't know. :( When OH came to my house years ago to assess me for banister rails, a raised loo seat and some other bits no hands were involved at all, either hers or mine but questions were asked a-plenty, all along the lines of 'How do you . . . ?' or 'How do cope with . . . ?' One thought that strikes me is that OH are not physios, or medics so my best guess is it will be verbal only. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    I wouldnt think they are medically trained so my answer would be no,but i dont know for sure.Interesting one.Mig
  • kellerman
    kellerman Member Posts: 741
    Options
    Hi,When I've seen Occy Health its usually been a doc. Even so he never touched me....just loads of questions.
    I saw him at work.It would I think be an OT who comes out to the house to see what you may need.
    I have personally found OH approachable and understanding. May
  • PollySid
    PollySid Member Posts: 343
    Options
    I saw an OH doctor from a work referral. He asked lots of questions and wrote a lot down on his bits of paper. The only way he examined me was to have me sit on the edge of the bed and lift my legs and bend my knees etc. to find what movement I had. He was an very pleasant doctor who listened to me and his report was very accurate.
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Freesia,

My ot has looked but not examined my movement and they on;t pull you about at all more look at how you cope and what bits they can offer you to make life easier.

Mine came up with wrists splints, a bed turner and a perch stool she also suggested a contraption to help get the weight off bits of the back but the rumo pulled the plug in that bit... bless him :roll:

The ot is there to help with everyday things and make things easier for you so well sort seeing. Cris x
  • freesia
    Options
    Still not too sure what to expect...

Been hearing different opinions from different sources... :?

I Just don't want to be "man handled" by some-one I don't know...

Do they also have access to your "PRIVATE GP & hospital notes" before appt...??
    And can these be shown to your employeer....???

ALSO - will I get a copy of the OCC/HEALTH report once it has been sent to my employer to see what they say... :?:

HELP :?:
    hugs freesia xxx
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Hi Freesia,
    I saw the Occ Health via a work referral a month or so ago. A very pleasant and sympathetic lady came to my home (Head teacher gave me the morning off to meet her) so that I would be comfortable, she stayed around and hour and a half and asked lots of questions about how the RA affects me, what is difficult to do at work, what might make it easier etc.
    Afterwards she sent me a copy of the report to my school, and a questionnaire about how I had felt the interview went. She also gave me contact numbers for organisations that might help to fund additional equipment for the workplace. At no time did she touch me other than to shake hands (she was a qualified nurse).
    I have to say it was a positive experience, and school have made several adjustments to meet recommendations she made.

Hope it goes well for you.

Deb x
  • tanith
    tanith Member Posts: 175
    Options
    freesia you won't be 'manhandled' OH is on your side, the most they will do is ask questions and ask you to perform certain things , like bending, lifting legs etc.
    They have to ask your permission to access your GP/Hosp info but its all helpful to your cause if you do so .

I found OH staff all very helpful and was the OH doctor who suggested that I apply for Ill-health retirement upon his findings about my state of health.

There really is no need to be anxious they are there to help you.
    Our worst times are always our best lessons.
  • freesia
    Options
    I can now answer my own question & maybe help for others...

NO they did not phyically examine me - just lots of questions... they were VERY helpful...

A report has now been sent to my boss (I have seen a copy) but I have not heard a single word from them.... maybe they realise I'm not lying and DO actually have ARTHUR and in pain every day...!!
    hugs freesia xxx
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi freesia,

Glad they were so helpful. i think they normally are and nice with it as well. Really hope that work will help make things easier for you and you get some kind of improvement in their attitude at the very least. Cris x
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    hi freesia
    I am glad your appointment went well, and that now your anxiety is over :D

and thank you for reassuring anyone else who may be going to the same appointment. :)

love Julie PF x