Operation on feet

Options
Aprilann
Aprilann Member Posts: 49
edited 26. Apr 2012, 20:12 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi

Very shortly I am to have both my feet operated on.

Approximately 24 years ago I was advised to have my toes off on my left foot - it was the done thing then (the surgeon said he preferred to do this because it was easy for him) - but I stuck to my guns and just had the bunion straightened (being only 36 I didn't fancy the idea of going bare foot on the beach).

Now after having RA for nearly 32 years I am to have them both operated on.

Twenty-four years on I would like the big toe taken off down to the first joint. With having just this part of my toe off the length of my right foot will not be shorter than my right as it happens. The other toes will be straightened and the metatarsal heads shaved (whatever). The joint on the right foot will be fused.

I have a fantastic surgeon and anaesthetist. I will be having a spinal block - this I do not like.

Has anyone else had part of their big toe off or had a toe fused?

Comments

• skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Aprilann,

It was the done thing back then wasn't it? I was told they would take mine off at 24 but didn't like it either... I did have to have one removed but the other 4 had the joints taken out and were fused and have never caused me too much bother even though one didn't fuse up at all....

The big toes I have only had them fused and the toe to foot joint half removed but it really did help with getting the movement back in my foot.. obviously the toe can't move them selves cus of the fusing.

That made the big toes half and inch shorter than the ones next to it but didn't change the shoe size as the toes are also long.

With the spinal block you are sedated so its not too bad they say... I have always been knocked out for my ops partly cus the back is so bad and partly cus I like it that way but really hope t goes well and the fusing side if you have any questions I will try and help. Nice to meet you Cris x