Does the weather really effect arthritis...?????

Options
freesia
freesia Member Posts: 409
edited 3. May 2012, 07:26 in Living with Arthritis archive
Blimey.... :roll:

I'm "REALLY" stiff today - my knees feel like WOOD....!!

Is there really any connection between bad/damp/cold weather and arthritis or am I just imagining it...??

Wish there was a wondercure or like a creaky hinge we could just WD40 our joints... :lol:

Hope you all have a FAB weekend

Hugs
freesia xx
hugs freesia xxx

Comments

• lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Some people believe it does affect them but I'm not so sure.

I just think it's a bad day and blame anything or even anyone in the vicinity ................including Mr Legs. :wink:

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • JuliaHod12
    JuliaHod12 Member Posts: 456
    Options
    Hi Freesia

I dunno................the last 2 days have been particularly difficult for metoo...........the damp seems to make me worse, as does the cold...........i know and feel it when there is a draught under the fire door at work (right next to my desk!)

Julia x
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    I know i have been very stiff and sore with all this bad weather.Mig
  • kellerman
    kellerman Member Posts: 741
    Options
    Hi Freesia
    My joints seem to know when it is going to rain. Cold I can cope with....having said that we've had the sun here today and its still here although its cold.
    I know the weather doesn't effect everybody the same....some don't like the heat but I say roll on summer. Love May
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    they say it the change in pressure that causes it it been wet here for couple of weeks but today i am in total pain and can hardly move the last time i felt like this it was in ibiza and we had an almighty storm in the afternoon did not know it was going to happen but knew something was wrong val
    val
  • suncatcher
    suncatcher Member Posts: 2,174
    Options
    Cold, damp and rainy weather this week has sent me into a flare up. So yes weather plays a part with me
    Joanne
  • Puschinka
    Puschinka Member Posts: 176
    Options
    I agree with Val - it's the change in pressure that affects the joints.
    I've heard that many times too. And some people do get bad headaches that are connected to a change in weather pressure.

My Mum had both her knees replaced over 20 years ago ( she's 82 now and her artificial knees are still doing a good job !) although her knees hardly ever trouble her now, she says the only time they do hurt, even now, is when there's a change in the weather pressure.
    Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans.
  • emsjane
    emsjane Member Posts: 351
    Options
    I agree. The weather definitely affects me!

I think with me, the cold is worse. I was sooo bad over this winter, i was very worried as i thought id got so much worse and was worried i wasn't going to get better again, but since it's not been so cold, ive been so much better! But when the weather is bad, i feel bad!!!
    LOVE EMMA X
  • ruby2
    ruby2 Member Posts: 423
    Options
    Weather pressure is certainly a factor, but I am worse when the weather is good sorry!
    The heat (in this country fills me with dread).

nice gentle warm is ok, but cool weather suits me best apart from having to cope with slippy ice.
    Can't win can we?
    Ruby
  • justinbarrow
    justinbarrow Member Posts: 338
    Options
    Yes the weather effects me also when its cold and damp I have more stiffness and pain than when its nice and warm.

I mentioned this to my consultant as I am always worse during November - May and they said it is common.
  • Marshmallow
    Marshmallow Member Posts: 15
    Options
    Weather really has an affect on my arthritis. I used to be such a winter person until i was diagnosed 2 years ago. Now one sniff of cold weather and i flare up everywhere. Knees and fingers are the worst. Stress too causes flare ups with me which can be hard as i can get quite stressed at work.

Advice from my mam, wrap up warm everywhere you go. You can never have too many scarfs, hats, pairs of gloves!!!!
    :P
  • tanith
    tanith Member Posts: 175
    Options
    I've never seen any change in my stiffness/pain due to the weather, it hurts come rain or sun good days and bad days.. I guess we are all different...
    Our worst times are always our best lessons.
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    I truely do believe the weather effects Arthritis! Since Friday my legs & hips have been cracking and crunching making their own weird music! My hips have been so painful to sleep on that they have woken me up in the night especially last night/early this morning I was awoken and the pain was so bad I couldn't get back to sleep that I ended up reading in bed.
    This morning my hips, left leg and both hands and fingers are very sore. So that's why I believe the Weather effects my Arthritis.
  • freesia
    freesia Member Posts: 409
    Options
    Now I'm really confused.... :?

It's cold & damp today - and as my OA pain goes, I'm relatively pain free today...???

Perhaps it is a pressure thing....

Confused.com
    hugs freesia xxx
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    hi yes we all differ i feel much better today but who knows how long for as tend to over do it when feeling near normal lol.
    val
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    The weather never used to make a difference to the PsA but the past three weeks have been hellish with the OA. The low pressure and rain is not pleasant to say the least then add the bone rubbish and UGH. :( Never mind, I am sure there are athritics in Greece, Italy and Spain but at least their vitamin D levels should be OK! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben