Dry Mouth

Options
MaryL
MaryL Member Posts: 25
edited 29. Apr 2012, 12:06 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi. Do you have a dry mouth all true time like i do. I now use SALAVEX - hope i have spelt that right, which i get from my DR. I sleep with one in my mouth which can give me up to 4 hrs sleep.

Comments

• Folara
    Folara Member Posts: 568
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oh yes I do but I think it's the Amitryptaline as I have only had the problem since taking that. Mornings are the worst, often waking up with my tongue stuck to the roof of my mouth.
  • MaryL
    Options
    No matter what causes your dry mouth try SALIVIX (right spelling) PASTELS. You can get them on prescription or buy them over the internet. They really work. Just put one in your mouth and let it slowly desolve. Mine stick to the top of my mouth.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,447
    Options
    Thanks for that Mary

l am guessing having to sleep with your mouth open really doesn't help :( . Flora l am the same the morninga fter and blame it on the amatrip. However l do believe the positives of it outweigh the negatives....what's a couple of extra cuppas :wink:

Good to know there is a solution if that doesn't work. thanks Mary

Toni xxx
  • PollySid
    PollySid Member Posts: 343
    Options
    I always take a glass of water to bed and wake up 2-3 times a night, not able to swallow because my mouth and throat are so dry, and take a sip or two of it.
    I put it down to the medications. I have noticed that if I am still awake half an hour after taking the Gabapentin my throat gets really dry.
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    Options
    I have a very dry mouth with resultant mouth problems, including soft tissue damage when eating as well as inflamed gums. The severity of these has increased since being on Amitriptyline and tramadol. My dentist is aware of this and has altered my treatment to try and help out.

In my case I understand that these symptoms (in addition to dry eyes for which I have drops) are partly due to the RA and Fibro, and partly due to the medications I take for these.

I carry water with me all the time and try to have sugar-free sweets with me at all times, which help moisturize without exacerbating my tongue/mouth/gum issues.

When these ceased to be enough I saw my GP. Apparently there is a gel which can be helpful as artificial saliva, but I was given a spray instead, as the gel can apparently react with some toothpastes and mouth washes.

The spray has helped a lot, as has starting Hydroxychloroquine which has reduced the dry mouth as well :D

We all take so much stuff, and have such complicated treatment plans, that it's always best to ask your GP/Rheumatologist or pharmacist what is best for you personally to use.

Wonky
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Mary
    And thankyou for that, I keep buying chewing gum, but the downside is it makes me hungry all the time.. :o and I am trying to get the weight off..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • MaryL
    Options
    Tip Remember these are not sweets. I take 2/3 bits to realise the .... and then just let them melt in my mouth Can take up to 1 1/2 to 2 hrs Let us no how you get on