Arthritis Care - charity badges or pins or donations

Options
freesia
freesia Member Posts: 409
edited 4. May 2012, 08:16 in Living with Arthritis archive
Does anyone know where I can buy some Arthritis care charity badges or pins.... or other items maybe pens/keyrings - obviously in aid of A/C....

Thought if I wore a descreet badge at first to work, then people might slowly find out, cause I don't want to blurt it out to them...

I Know loads of charities offer things to buy, but can't see anything for ARTHUR...??

Hugs
freesia
x
hugs freesia xxx

Comments

• mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Cant help but i would be willing to buy and wear,good qyestion.Mig
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    I'd love a key ring. Hey, could be a good market for raising awareness and money!
  • freesia
    Options
    I hope one of the forum "bosses" read this then, and passes the suggestion on, maybe something could be done to raise money for A/C...

I'm always seeing boxes & charity pins ect for other conditions....

Hope you all have a good & "Painfree" weekend

hugs
    freesia x
    hugs freesia xxx
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    i would like one .had some one come around for cancer other day and they asked which charitys i was interested in i told them arthritis care and they had never heard of it val
    val
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I have an ARC coin thingy for shopping trollies, I bought in one of their shops years ago. The daft thing is I don't use it for fear of it getting jammed in the lock thing! :) I keep it on my key ring. I suppose these things cost money to the charity to buy but they could raise extra money by selling them at a small profit. I would use an AC pen - I'd have one in every handbag - and an AC pill pot would also be a winner. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Annah
    Annah Member Posts: 92
    Options
    Arthritis Care is a relatively small charity (I'm a volunteer) and the recession has been really, really hard on small charities like ours.

Have any of you looked into how expensive these charity items are, for the charity? You don't make much profit at all, although I agree they can increase awareness. The problem comes if you end up saddled with a load of merchandise you can't sell.

So maybe, with the permission of AC HQ, some of us could think about doing some awareness-raising ourselves, in our local areas? For instance, I'm doing a local May Fair on 7th and I have a stall. I'm doing a "Name the Bear for Arthritis Care" and a Castle Beer Pong game.

In the autumn, I'm doing an Arthritis Care gift shopping party, in a local gift shop in the evening. I'll be charging for tickets and then me and the owner will split the profits of everything sold. I'm going to be doing cakes so I've got to 'con' someone into helping me make some AC logos to go on top of them. And I'll be trying to drum up interest in new members in the area (we hope to start a branch).

However, between then and now, I'm looking for more ideas to raise money and awareness in this fabulous charity. So if you have ideas, pass them on to me and why not have a go yourself?
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    I'm a volunteer as well and there are always things like that for sale at our branch meetings
    We have an arthritis info stand on Wed and Thur during arthritis week and usually have things likle that.
    I'm having an info stand at our local surgery and hope to have some of those to sell although it is mainly for info for people with arthritis
    Love
    Hileena
  • freesia
    Options
    hileena111 wrote:
    Hi
    I'm a volunteer as well and there are always things like that for sale at our branch meetings
    We have an arthritis info stand on Wed and Thur during arthritis week and usually have things likle that.
    I'm having an info stand at our local surgery and hope to have some of those to sell although it is mainly for info for people with arthritis
    Love
    Hileena

There is only one meeting where I live during the week which unfortunately due to work I cannot attend :( which is why this forum is great therapy for me....

So you say you have "things like that for sale at your meetings" where do they originally come from...??

It's a great shame that "ALL" GP surgeries don't readily make an arthritis awareness section for patients.... there must be millions of patients accross the country affected with ARTHUR in all different degrees....

Hugs
    freesia x
    hugs freesia xxx
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    there must be a way we can get our hands on them not a meeting near me from what i can tell have looked but never found so no chance of picking one up here i also work so can not get accross to sheffield or mansfield even if they have them val
    val
  • freesia
    Options
    Yes - there must be a way to get charity items somehow...

Any suggestions, anyone...??
    hugs freesia xxx
  • Annah
    Annah Member Posts: 92
    Options
    I'm trying to arrange to get some cake toppers printed, but I need to check with AC HQ to get the artwork for the logo, and permission to use it (the printers require documentation). They're about £5 for 30 and then I plan to make cupcakes and have a coffee morning, if I can drum up enough support.

Do you think people would come to a strangers house to drink coffee and raise money for AC? We don't have a branch in this area but I'm sure there's plenty of people with arthritis.

Failing that, I might try to have a bake sale, if I can find a venue. I'm considering asking the local elderly care centre - they've got a proper 'conference' facility which our disabled person's forum has used.

My other idea involves getting some mini t-shirts for bears and printing them ourselves (I have the kit). I thought I could have the name "Arthur" on the front, and the AC logo on the back.

All of this hinges on me getting permission to use the AC logo and artwork on things, of course, so I'll tell you how I get on in case anyone wants to copy me (imitation being the sincerest form of flattery).
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi,
    Thats the thing.....permission to use their logo....I thought about that the other day but havent tried anything yet....I'm an Avon Sales Leader and have a magnetic poster thingey on the bak of my car....got a few customers from that...especially when the car has been parked at the shops. I had wondered about the same sort of thing only for arthritis??

To answer the other question....I live in the North East and Gateshead is my nearest branch. I cant remember seeing badges when I think about it but an arthritis bear {tiny} which sits in my car, arthritis pens, arthritis bracelets...and of course diaries.....must look more closely next meeting. I have never queried where they come from but I assume that the chairperson orders them from head office the same way as I order the pink booklets and magazines.

If you have a meeting why dont you get in touch with them and ask them how to get hold of them although if you are nota member they might not get you any???? They might be able to tell you how to go about it.

The other thing is just word of mouth.......when I was at the hospital for an appt last week I talked to 3 different people that had arthritis, showed them where the stand was, made sure they had a magazine etc. Answered any questions I could.......this wasnt on an official capacity.
    Just pm me if I can help at all
    Love Hileena
  • ichabod6
    ichabod6 Member Posts: 843
    Options
    Hello Annah,

I like your ideas and enthusiasm and feel sure we could work
    together if distance was not a problem.
    I live in north west Lancashire. Is that anywhere near you?
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    Options
    whilst not having any info to give you about the items mentioned above, there are other ways of raising funds for AC that anyone can get invoved with:

http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/GetInvolved/Donations/Otherwaystodonate

You could also raise awareness by buying and sending AC Christmas cards when the time arrives :wink:

Wonky
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    ....... the NRAS sell a badge on ebay.......

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.