Multiple Pregnancies

Marshmallow
Marshmallow Member Posts: 15
edited 14. May 2012, 13:47 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello.
I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis 2 years ago. I started off on methotrexate in tablet form and i felt no improvement. i was still taking painkillers all the time and didnt see the point of being on it. it took 18months for the doctors to realise my body wasnt absorbing the tablets properly. I was then put onto the injection form and i must say i am much better. However, i am now nearly 28 and wanting to start a family. I am scared about coming off the methotrexate as all i can remember is how much pain i was in before. i know it will be worth it in the end.
I am already starting to think ahead and fingers crossed the first pregnany goes to plan, i am thinking about having my next baby quite quickly afterwards to avoid going back on the drugs to then come off for 6 months before conceiving and having my body get used to them again.
Has anybody been in this situation? Would anyone advise staying off the methotraxate until you have however many children you want? Im guessing you cant take it whilst breast feeding which i would hope to do for the first year.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
M xx

Comments

• tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Welcome to the forum Marshmallow!

The subject of arthritis meds and pregancy comes up quite regularly on the forum and hopefully someone will be along soon who has relevant experience to share with you.

Tillyxxx
  • jenzie06
    jenzie06 Member Posts: 708
    Hiya welcome to the forum.

I had my son two years ago next Sunday. Can't believe where the time has gone. I have had RA for almost 14 years. We have decided to wait until Harry is slightly more independent before trying for another little one. I found the first year physically exhausting (but I did it!!) as he was walking by 10 months.

Now he's getting bigger and more able to do things for himself it is getting easier physically. But friend's children didn't walk until they were 18 months and had to be carried about when outside. There are things which help massively (hippychick for example) but it's still pretty difficult.

I can understand the reason for having a few close together (for one thing you can pass on or throw out all the baby stuff once you are done without having to store it). But for me we think its the right thing to do to wait a bit. Plus your body will need time to get over having a baby.

Hope this helps?

p.s read the book - arthritis, pregnancy and the path to parenthood
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,402
    Hi Marshmallow

Great advice there from Jenzie (Harry was our first forum baby so very special to us oldies :wink: )

I was lucky enough to have my girls before all this started, but can l wish you the very very best of luck.

You are guaranteed support on here :D

Love

Toni xx
  • Marshmallow
    Thank you Jenzie. Do you know where i can buy this book?
    M xx
  • jenzie06
    jenzie06 Member Posts: 708
    The book used to be on amazon but I couldn't find it earlier. The author is Suzie Edward May.

The support on here was fab and I had practically a cheer team for when I was having him. I was even allowed to post a picture of him. It is brilliant being a mummy although I miss having a lie in!! (Even when its my lie in day on a Saturday morning I still get jumped on before he gets whisked off for breakfast)

Other sources which can be helpful -
    Disabled Parents Network - they can help getting the direct payments
    Direct Payments - through your local council. I receive DP to employ someone to help me look after Harry for so many hours a week. For the first year I employed my Mum! Don't be fobbed off by them as they tend to deny all knowledge of it but you can get it through Adult Social Services (nothing to do with child social services - I thought they would show up in a SS van with 'crap parent' on the side!)
    If you don't qualify for the above, Homestart may be able to offer some help.

Hope this helps!
  • L1985
    L1985 Member Posts: 120
    Hi hun

I have two children one nearly 6 and one 19 months. A few months before I fell pregnant with my son I started with the joint pain.It has only recently been given a 'name'. Anyway I know I didnt need to wean off medication but just wanted to say the last few months of pregnancy was the best I have felt in years so im hoping it will be the same for you.

We are wanting one more baby but this time I will have to wean off medication and I am worried about things. I know its too soon to have another at the moment but we are hoping to start trying in the next 18months. Just wanted to add dont worry if you do end up having a bigger age gap then you planned as my daughter was at an ideal age when my son was born where she understood what was happening and really enjoyed helping. They also play lovely together now.

Good luck Ill be interested to hear how you get on.

xxxx
  • millie78
    millie78 Member Posts: 71
    Hi there I've had four children and its not until the last born did I get a diagnosis of the disabling pain is had ever since my first was born. This is because pregnancy hides the ra I have beautifully and each time I've had 9 mths of feeling on top of the world each time. So u have that to look forward to at least! But be warned its common and was the case for me to have massive flare ups once the babies born and I had to rely on a lot of help from family. Thankfully I'm now under a rheumy getting medication and so whilst life is exhausting I can manage all the childcare alone. I wish u the very best of luck.
  • Marshmallow
    Thanks Everyone.
    Yes Millie, ive been told that all will be well during pregnancy and to expect flare ups outside of pregnancy. Like yourself i have family to help out, thanks for the info.

xx