Just saying hi....with my burning feet!!!!

Options
blushy
blushy Member Posts: 16
edited 29. Apr 2012, 20:53 in Living with Arthritis archive
Not been in for a while, been trying to pretend I have not got arthritis lol...... :cry:

The GP sent me to see a Physio therapist for my back and hip......amusing if i do say....

After 4 months of following everthing the Physi asked of me, the pain remains and I am not better, although it did push me to stay fitter...if you get my gist?

Lately though my feet have been burning across my toe area, and I know that I have arthritic feet....boy they are looking ugs now too...curled toes...absolutely hate it.

But wondering if this is a common symptom of burning across the toes?

The other thing i hate about having arthritic feet...is...no more trendy shoes :cry::cry:

Oh well, at least i am still smiling!

You all have a lovely if not wet rainy day.

:D xx

Comments

• marrianne
    marrianne Member Posts: 1,161
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Blushy,Sorry about your burning feet ,Hope they improve with care and those sensible shoes .......which can be fashionable this weather is terrible slippers and a good book for me today .Marrianne :)
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello Blushy, it's nice to hear from you again. I am sorry about the feet, mine hurt all the time too but even so it still takes me by surprise every now and again. :)

One of the biggest nuisances about arthritis is that despite everything we try to do to help ourselves the pain does not necessarily lessen. The physio is good to help keep the muscles surrounding joints 'stronger' and thus better able to support the joint but it does not address the root cause of pain - the arthritis. Pain relief also has a role to play: OK, it won't shift all of the pain but it does blunt the sharper edges and that helps to make life a little more comfortable. Keep up with the exercises, they do help your over-all health and fitness and I hope the feet ease up soon. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Annah
    Annah Member Posts: 92
    Options
    Not saying this is accurate, but I've heard burning and 'pins and needles' type pains are most likely due to trapped nerves and other nerve problems (neuropathy).

My worst pain is not in fact arthritis, but "Complex Regional Pain Syndrome", caused by damage to the nerves of my feet. It feels like intense burning.

Thankfully, it is significantly helped by the medication I'm on (gabapentin) which is often used for nerve pain.

I've never found any pain relief through physiotherapy. In fact, sometimes I've had the opposite: physio that actually causes pain. But then at least it stops the pain damaging me further by weakening muscles, stiffening tendons and immobilising joints. Even if I'm in pain, I'd rather be mobile and in pain than stuck.
  • blushy
    blushy Member Posts: 16
    Options
    Thank you Annah for you reply.......I don't get pins and needles...just intense burning on top of the red swollen feet and toes. Pian relief does help but like you said...never quite takes it all away.

The Physio never helped me with pain relief but has kept me mobile and strengthened the muscles...especially for my hip, even if the burning in my joints after are troublesome, I am thankful i can still move :) .

DreamDaisy...hello there.......my feet all the time too...glad the summer is coming...for the sandals we can wear.....I love well cushioned flip flops ....my feet swell but the freedom is bliss. At least we can laugh our ailments off to keep us going, we can cope that way...well most of the time.

Thank you for the support Marriane......I hope you had a chill day with your feet up reading your book :)

Nice to here from you all and thanks for your replies xxxxxx
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    hi Blushy,
    Sorry that you are having problems with your feet. Have you been given insoles? I have burning where the toes join the foot, I use gel to help cool them off. Sometimes that helps.

I x
  • Annah
    Annah Member Posts: 92
    Options
    ironic wrote:
    hi Blushy,
    Sorry that you are having problems with your feet. Have you been given insoles? I have burning where the toes join the foot, I use gel to help cool them off. Sometimes that helps.

I x

It's interesting how cool helps some pain, and heat helps others. I tried cool and it made my feet worse, despite the inflammation, but heat really helped. My physio suggested I try various methods to see what worked for me, so do have a chat with yours to see what they recommend for you. But it may be a case of try it and see.

I also second the idea about insoles (orthotics). My podiatrist has been an absolute saviour fitting me with appropriate insoles. I'm just annoyed I had to go private because the NHS didn't get their act together. Still, best 100 quid I've ever spent.