Experience with prednisalone

Options
theresa4
theresa4 Member Posts: 696
edited 29. Apr 2012, 17:57 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi just a Quicky not very well at mo since infusion.
They put me on for 5 days to counter the side effects of the biologic which has stopped the itching and rash but my head hasn't stopped buzzing. I feel like I have an angry swarm of bees in my head and they are pushing at the back of my eyeballs too. I am a little concerned is this normal?
My RA is sore but manageable but in housebound due to this pred thing I know it's the pred as it wears off in the evening then starts an hour after I take it in morning.

Help please
Theresa
There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those. --Michael Nolan

Theresa xxx

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    What dose of pred are you on Theresa4? If it is a high one (to me that is 30mgs + per day) then this sensation is 'normal'. I never took above 20mgs per day and thus never had it. I hope you feel better soon. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • theresa4
    Options
    Hi dd
    Thanks for the reply I'm only on 10mg per day but I tend to be sensitive to drugs generally.
    It's only for 5 days but this will be every month I'm not sure what to do. The biologic isn't working great at the minute but I'm now on half dose due to reaction. Just when things started looking up.

Theresa

Ps how is your mum doing now DD I hope your not too exhausted too x
    There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those. --Michael Nolan

Theresa xxx
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    Hi Theresa,
    I am just reducing Preds after a flare over Easter. I started on 30mg a day for 5 days then reducing by 5mg every 5 days. They did reduce the swelling but I had background headache and the feeling of tightness across my face, bit like sinus problems. I spent the first few days very tired too, so I don’t know if I am unusual with that or my body just needed to recover. The muzzy headedness still strikes but my hands are wonderfully pain free. ( I was on the soluble ones but I don’t know if that makes a difference).
    Glad that the rash has been controlled, but if you are worried could you ring NHS direct or hospital Rheumy registrar. We all seem to react differently to meds, maybe asking about taking a lower dose?
    I x
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Options
    Hello Theresa

Sorry things are not good for you again after your infusion. My pred information leaflet mentions a side effect of "increased pressure in the skull (causing painful eyes, changes in vision or a bad headache, especially behind your eyes)." I have never had that problem at lower doses but I know that at doses of 20mg or above I have felt that my eyes are bulging and almost popping out of my head. If I were you I would be inclined to mention this to a doc or pharmacist (by phone if you aren't able to go out) just to see what they think.

Thinking of you.

Love Tillyxxx
  • theresa4
    Options
    Thanks Ironic and Tilly
    I'm a bit concerned as although not itchy the rash is very faint on the skin surface do lowering the dose might not be enough and after Tuesday I'm off the pred and I wonder if the rash will pick up again????
    I'm going to ring the rheumy nurse tomorrow to discuss side effect although since last dose is Tuesday I could prob stick it out.
    My joints are sore not as bad as usual but when I push myself I still have alot of discomfort following rest periods.
    Why can't things be simPle. The biologic worked on full dose or at least it felt like it was working I just needed not react to it. Now I'm on half dose not much better and suffering side effects from drugs to reduce other side effects.

Theresa

Theresa xxx
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    Hi Theresa,
    Glad you are ringing the nurse tomorrow, there may be a way round it. It all must feel very daunting for you, the stress of it all will not be helping either. :(
    I hope you manage a decent nights sleep tonight and tomorrow a better day.

I x