Appointment to start Methx.

Options
ruby2
ruby2 Member Posts: 423
edited 30. Apr 2012, 20:51 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all
Due to recent blood results and xray results showing more damage, my consultant has pushed for me to try Methx.
My appt is 10th May.
Following a call from a lovely lady giving me the positives I have agreed to go ahead.

Any advice welcome.
As I am getting more joints feeling pain ..I feel I need to try it.
Ruby

Comments

• 7worlds
    7worlds Member Posts: 302
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I was on methx for six months when i was first diagnosed but unfortunately i suffered with bad mouth ulcers so my rhumy took me off it. I did feel that it really helped me with the joint pain and i was a bit dissapointed that i had to stop taking it. Also, i really liked the fact that i only had to take it once a week instead of every day like the drug im now. I know of a few people who swear by it so hopefully you will have the same experience.
  • resusjan
    resusjan Member Posts: 290
    Options
    Hi,

I have been on methotrexate since July/August. I've been ok on it, monthly blood tests for a while and now every three months. I was diagnosed with pernicious anaemia a couple of months after starting but don't know if thats something I already had and didnt know about until the regular blood tests started or if it was a side effect of the meth - I'm also on sulfasalazine so it could have been due to that as well.

Anyway, we're all different and some have had side effects whilst others haven't. I suppose the only way we'll know is to try it - Good Luck, I really hope it works for you

Jan xx
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    Hi Ruby,
    I have been on MTX for a while now and I started on 10mg combined with Hydroxy. I found taking in the evening best as I could sleep through any side effects. Now most people do not have any side affects whatsoever so please don’t think that you will automatically have any problems.
    I am on 17.5mg now but I take the first three at tea time and the last four last thing which the rheumy nurse approved of so there are ways and means to get round things if needs be.
    It did make a difference for me, and I am sure it was the right way to go as I was having problems. The thing is to remember is that it does take time to get into your system. I know taking any new med is scary but if you have any questions, please just ask away.
    I x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello Ruby2, I've been on injected meth for years now, I do the injections myself and I have very little trouble with side-effects. I do, however, feel a great deal better in myself when I stop it, which I do when I have an infection. It hasn't helped my joint pain in the slightest but as I have OA in my knees and ankles (thanks to the damage caused by my PsA) then that is not surprising. It does help to keep the PsA subdued (together with the humira and sulph) and that's a good thing. Good luck with it, I hope it helps you. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Ruby
    I really wish I could help, but I do wish you well with the treatment, please let us know how you get on...and I will be in your pocket with the rest of um xxxx
    Love
    Barbara
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Hi Ruby. I've been on MTX for about 6-7 years. Although it worked at first I had to keep upping the dose when the pain and swelling returned. It works differently for different people.

I'd certainly give it a go and see how you personally cope with it. Nausea, hair loss and fatigue are all possible side effects but again not for everyone.

All the best

Elizabeth x
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • ruby2
    ruby2 Member Posts: 423
    Options
    Thank you for taking time to reply everyone.
    The replies are going to help me put my list of questions together, at the point where it has to be given a go.
    Ruby
  • petals
    petals Member Posts: 217
    Options
    Hello Ruby

I have been taking Methotrexate for 2 yrs.

In my experience it has made a huge difference to the way I feel and how I cope with RA.

I have found that the level of pain has been reduced immensly. I used to cry myslf to sleep with the pain and then cry again in the morning as it was still there. I feel very lucky that I am able to tolerate MTX. I do suffer a few side affects but IMO it is worth the benefits.

Side affects I have noticed are as follows:- heart burn for a day or two after taking it. Tiredness immediate and for a couple of days after. I am more prone to picking up infections and suffer more colds/coughs etc as immune system is lowered. I have reccuring atheletes foot again due to weak immune system. i have gained more than a stone in weight as I seem to be hungry all the time.

I know that that list may sound alarming but the benefits in pain reduction are so worth it. I am pleased to report no nausia and no hair loss.

Good luck, I hope you benefit from this drug
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Ruby,

Will be in your pocket that day and so hope it will work well for you.

been on it for 3 years now.... it wasn't always kind to me and so i went on the injections and they are much better. I have had a bit of trouble with sickness but I do have this alien and that makes me sick in its self.

that's the only side effect I have had and they can give you anti-emetics for that one flower and don;t be scared to ask for some if you need.

I do find I am very tired the 2nd day after the jab but that's about all.

Does it help, in my case only slightly but the slightly is worth holding on to and it does keep the crohn's down so with luck you will find it does really help you.

It will be fine flower and well worth ago. Got everything crossed for you. ((((( ))))) and make it work draft. Cris xx
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    just wanted to wish you the very best Ruby. I think meth could be the way I'll be going at some stage soon, I'm losing too much weight on the sulfa as I did with the hydroxy.. Yet the sulfa is definitely making a difference, not huge pain wise but enough, and the IBS/IBD has been so much better..

Let us know how you go on please?
    :D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP