Anti Inflammatory's

Options
elainebadknee
elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
edited 3. May 2012, 11:17 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi

I got put on Naproxen by my doctor last week as was having a lot of hip pain..At the time I didnt think much of the advice as anti inflammatries simply dont work for me (have osteochondritis dissecans of left knee)....I have in past tried Diclofenic and Arthrotec which made me as sick as a dog...Other people swear by brufen but not me, if fine for period pains, anything more no...
So not sure whether to keep taking these, but surely if not helping its purely pill popping for no reason?
Had hoped for physio, not naproxen, my dad got physio for his hip pain but not me, apparently I walk funny with a limp so that doesnt help my hips but they have only been sore since new year really...

Elainex

Comments

• sbolam
    sbolam Member Posts: 374
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    hi, have you tried doing a self referral to the phyio, the docter never sent me..so I referred myself and it was a godsend..
    04_pain.jpg
  • marrianne
    marrianne Member Posts: 1,161
    Options
    Dear Elaine,I am r/a .........but have a very bad knee this is osteo need a replacement in the meantime I am rubbing in .....grrr CEPHALON or to you and me...and the doctor its called Capsaicin And I drag Iit takes at least 4 weeks to work............but to be honest we will try anything ,The only thing that has helped my knee is hydro .........because on dry land just like the little mermaid ..... I bleed it hurts it crunches I cant do anything in the lovely hydro pool all things are possible Marrianne :)
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Elaine
    I am on diclos and they dont help much, if you definitely think they are not working I would talk to your GP about stopping them, I do think its so easy for them to shell out meds, and with them come all the side effects.
    I didnt know you could self refer to a pyhsio....you give it a go Elaine, and please let us know how yoy get on x
    Love
    Barbara
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi

I wouldnt know how to do that, can you do that? I think at my surgery you have to be referred....Unknown territory..

Elainex
    sbolam wrote:
    hi, have you tried doing a self referral to the phyio, the docter never sent me..so I referred myself and it was a godsend..
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi Marianne

Is cephalon a cream you rub in, have i read message right? I do hydro exercises twice a week and its not helping...At a loss, dont think doc is taking my hip pain seriously...

Elainex
    marrianne wrote:
    Dear Elaine,I am r/a .........but have a very bad knee this is osteo need a replacement in the meantime I am rubbing in .....grrr CEPHALON or to you and me...and the doctor its called Capsaicin And I drag Iit takes at least 4 weeks to work............but to be honest we will try anything ,The only thing that has helped my knee is hydro .........because on dry land just like the little mermaid ..... I bleed it hurts it crunches I cant do anything in the lovely hydro pool all things are possible Marrianne :)
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi Barbara

No you sound like me, diclos never helped one iota but my sister who had a knee replacement and my dad who has had tkr and thr said brufen worked.....I dont know about self referral either, dont like asking when shouldnt really do that...

Elainex
    barbara12 wrote:
    Hi Elaine
    I am on diclos and they dont help much, if you definitely think they are not working I would talk to your GP about stopping them, I do think its so easy for them to shell out meds, and with them come all the side effects.
    I didnt know you could self refer to a pyhsio....you give it a go Elaine, and please let us know how yoy get on x
  • sbolam
    Options
    easiest way is to give nhs direct a call and they will help you with pointing you in the right direction for doing a self referrel..

have a look here this may help

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Physiotherapy/Pages/Accessing-physiotherapy.aspx

stephen.
    04_pain.jpg
  • sbolam
    Options
    yet for me naproxin.did nowt but diclo works a real treat..
    04_pain.jpg
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Elaine
    I was changed from diclos to naproxen and the naps work better.....not brilliant but as del {I think it was} said it takes the edge off

Love
    Hileena
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    we are all so different but naproxen with other meds does help me physio no idea doc always sends me val
    val
  • Afc
    Afc Member Posts: 15
    Options
    I was recently put on Naproxen (been on it for about 3 weeks now) but haven't noticed a difference at all...worse if anything. I know my GP said it'd take about a week to work but should I be noticing the benefits by now or does it take longer?
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi Stephen

Thanks for the link will look into that...

Elainex
    sbolam wrote:
    easiest way is to give nhs direct a call and they will help you with pointing you in the right direction for doing a self referrel..

have a look here this may help

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Physiotherapy/Pages/Accessing-physiotherapy.aspx

stephen.
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Delboy

Its good it takes the edge off for you...

Elainex
    delboy wrote:
    Diclo didn't work for me either but Naproxen takes the edge off.
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    It must be our make up that makes some drugs work, other dont eh...fascinating..

Elainex
    sbolam wrote:
    yet for me naproxin.did nowt but diclo works a real treat..
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi Hileena

I wish i felt it was taking the edge off but no difference whatsoever...Never mind....Glad they work for you..

elainex
    hileena111 wrote:
    Hi Elaine
    I was changed from diclos to naproxen and the naps work better.....not brilliant but as del {I think it was} said it takes the edge off

Love
    Hileena
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi Val

Yeah of course different things work for different peeps...Doc has always sent me for any sort of treatment, referral also.

Elainex
    valval wrote:
    we are all so different but naproxen with other meds does help me physio no idea doc always sends me val
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi AFC

Well id be thinking it should have kicked in after the week and three weeks on, no difference, surely its just putting something into your body that dont need to be in there...Im no expert mind you..

Elainex
    Afc wrote:
    I was recently put on Naproxen (been on it for about 3 weeks now) but haven't noticed a difference at all...worse if anything. I know my GP said it'd take about a week to work but should I be noticing the benefits by now or does it take longer?
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello EBK, it's nice to see your name again. I took nap for a while and it did little for me inflammation-wise but helped another thing which wasn't nice. I now use diclofenac and that is so effective for me that I ration its use which is my choice. Everyone of us is different and what suits varies from person to person, as I am sure you know. It takes time to find this out and I hope you find an anti-inflammatory that helps you. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Afc
    Options
    Hi AFC

Well id be thinking it should have kicked in after the week and three weeks on, no difference, surely its just putting something into your body that dont need to be in there...Im no expert mind you..

Elainex
    quote]

Yeah i was quite concerned about that especially with the risk of stomach ulcers and whatnot..might just have to try some home remedies/see if the doc can change to something else...
    Naproxen seems to be working for most people, we must just be unlucky in this case...
    Hope you do find something that works for you. x
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi AFC

Well yes there is the thing that it is a big stomach irritant isnt there...Some people actually take drugs but also take stomach protectors too but if the pills i was on wasnt helping me id knock them on the head...
    Me and you its not working then eh...But I guess its swings and roundabouts....
    Hope you get a solution too....

Elainex

Yeah i was quite concerned about that especially with the risk of stomach ulcers and whatnot..might just have to try some home remedies/see if the doc can change to something else...
    Naproxen seems to be working for most people, we must just be unlucky in this case...
    Hope you do find something that works for you. x[/quote]
  • Afc
    Options
    Dohh. I started getting bad heartburn a few days ago and the leaflet with naproxen advises you to stop taking it when this happens...really not working for me whatsoever :(
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    AFC

Oh that hasnt happened to me but ive been taking the 250mg not 500mg at a time..Still neither use nor ornament to me....

<<Hugs>>

Elainex
    Afc wrote:
    Dohh. I started getting bad heartburn a few days ago and the leaflet with naproxen advises you to stop taking it when this happens...really not working for me whatsoever :(