Sulphasalazine

Options
tinydancer
tinydancer Member Posts: 74
edited 9. May 2012, 08:00 in Living with Arthritis archive
For those who take this can you tell me if you take all your dosage together or do you spread them throughout the day?

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Sulph should be increased gradually, initially for me it was one tablet in the morning for one week, then one in the morning and one in the evening for one week, then two in the morning/one in the evening etc, until I achieved my full dose which is three a.m. then three p.m. Do not take them all in one go, that causes trouble! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • tinydancer
    Options
    I have been on them for 3 years and take my whole dosage (6) ALL in the morning :o , starting to worry cos I've been informed by someone that I shouldn't do this (and yourself of course)
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Ummmm, I don't think that's a good idea. I was always told to split the dose and I always have, the same with the diclofenac (when I take it). Steroids were always in one go, the same with the tablet meth, but never the sulph. Check what the instruction label says, or ask your pharmacist or rheumatology nurse. DD
  • tinydancer
    Options
    I told my doc that I did it this way and he didn't advice otherwise, Ive got a telephone appointment with him today so I won't be in the slightest bit happy if he says that I shouldn't be doin it this way :x

I take Diclofenic too but just one in the morning and take one late if I need it.
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    When I was on Mtx tablets I took the dose all at once. Your GP should put your mind at rest if you ask directly or give your Rheumy nurse a ring and see what he/she says.

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • tinydancer
    Options
    Well spoke to my Doctor......no harm done thankfully as bloods are checked regulary but advised me to take 2 pills 3 times a day. reason being that apparently Sulpha only really lasts for 6 hours...no wonder I'm not feeling very good in the evening :?
    Downside is I need to get my bloods taken every 2 weeks for next 6-8 weeks just to check all is ok and my nurse is a butcher :x Absolutely hate going to her, I had 2 different nurses before her and never had the problem of my arms in a state with them :roll:
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I am glad you were able to speak to your GP, it must be hard for them to remember everything about every single drug their patients take. To us we're individuals but to them surely we are just one face in a very large crowd! I prefer the 3/3 approach as it that is easier for me to remember (but being inherently lazy that's not surprising!)

As for the blood tests, I was on fortnightly bloods for years and a right pain they were (only in the nuisance stakes). I am lucky enough to live close enough to my hospital which has an open pathology lab, 7.30am to 6pm five days a week. I go there because all the phlebos do all day is take blood, and most of them are pretty good. I think it's like all professions, some have a natural bent for what they do and others don't. Is there another nurse at your practice that you could see? DD
  • tinydancer
    Options
    GP had to get his book out to ckeck :lol:

Must admit I was very worried but thankfully my mind has been put at ease.

If I go back and my arm is in a state again after her taking my blood then I'll ask to see a different one the next time. She isn't very sympathetic either, argh! Maybe with me stressing about it before I go makes it worse, who knows
  • peridotlouise
    peridotlouise Member Posts: 81
    Options
    I take 2 in the morning and 2 in the afternoon... have had no problems so far.
  • tinydancer
    Options
    Well since I changed how I take my meds I am worse!!! Pain in my hands is unbearable :cry:
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    could be flare bought on by stress of it all takes a while so stick with it i take 2 am and 2 pm as well val
    val
  • diamond
    diamond Member Posts: 396
    Options
    Hi my dosage is three after breakfast,lunch and dinner.My appetite has greatly reduced since i started tabs in January.Have had monthly blood tests will be showing Rheumy results next week.xxx
  • diamond
    diamond Member Posts: 396
    Options
    Sorry disregard my last post,take two three times a day.My brain is a bit muddled due to lack of sleep after op.xxx