Anti-TNF Diet Restrictions

lindalegs
lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
edited 1. May 2012, 07:11 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi to all you readers, :wink:

I’ve read the list of diet restriction when taking Enbrel and do stick to them but there is a bit of a grey area where yoghurts are concerned.

(As I love mayonnaise I did ring Hellmans to make sure their mayo is pasteurised and it is okay but I can’t have homemade mayo anymore because of the raw eggs.)

I used to enjoy Activia yoghurts but I’m now unsure whether I can have them or indeed any other yoghurts.

If you’re on Anti-TNF do you still eat yoghurts?

PS I made a cake this morning and I was dying to lick the spoon but that’s another no-no and soooooooooooo hard to resist! Mr Legs is delighted because he can have the spoon and the bowl as well53-1.jpg

Luv,
Love, Legs x
'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I've never stopped eating yoghurt and so far, so good. We only have natural, my favourite being the Onken set-style, but I do miss the proper cheeses (in my view) and paté. I also use commercial mayonnaise. Hey-ho, why can't we have it all just once in a while? :wink: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    This had me thinking hard :o

I was told to avoid pate, soft cheeses (I really miss goat's cheese :( ) and to be very careful with any pre-prepared salads, as these are all potential sources of stomach-upsetting bugs.

I have to say I still have salads, though am very careful to re-wash the ready-washed stuff.

I was also told to be very careful about chicken and making sure that it was fully cooked.

I am having Infliximab infusions. Since also starting the hydroxychloroquine I have had a more sensitive stomach so I am very careful about most things above.

However - no mention was made about yoghurt at all. So to my mind that means just taking the usual precautions agains out of date stuff.
    I do make my own and maybe that is better as it is def pasturised mix which can be made up when I need to use it - it never hangs around for long :wink:

Wonky
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    Hi Linda

I have been given conflicting info. My rheumy nurse said I can eat anything I like and they were thinking of changing the guidelines to say that. However, online and Healthcare at Home says all the above.

I am careful with raw eggs - miss home made ice cream - and soft cheese (though ate a large mouthful of what I thought was herb cheese to discover it was blue with no ill effect.) I eat scads of yoghurt, at least twice a day. Nearly all of them are full of probiotics, which are supposed to be the healthy bacteria, and the calcium is good for you. Have had no stomach problems in over a year I've been on anti tnfs (though I seem to be off them more than I'm on them these days!)
  • lindalegs
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    I've never stopped eating yoghurt and so far, so good. We only have natural, my favourite being the Onken set-style, but I do miss the proper cheeses (in my view) and paté. I also use commercial mayonnaise. Hey-ho, why can't we have it all just once in a while? :wink: DD

You're okay with homemade patés Dreamdaisy. I make a mackerel or smoked salmon paté which is very tasty and simple to do.
      1 pack of vacuum packed smoked mackerel. Scrape the skin from the back of the fish 200g cream cheese (Philadelphia or equivalent) 1-2 teaspoon horseradish sauce, if it's not something you buy in use lemon juice or both. Cut the fish up with scissors and mash them all together or blitz in an electric mixer. Serve on crusty bread or crackers. (You can substitute the mackerel for smoked salmon for a different taste.)

I would think that meat patés are fine too so long as the meat is cooked and there's no raw egg in them.

Hope this helps.

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
  • lindalegs
    That's really interesting. It looks like I could risk the yoghurt and see what happens especially after Sally saying they're looking at reviewing the guidelines.

It would be nice to follow Del's stance but I don't want to risk food poisoning :shock:

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
  • dreamdaisy
    Oh! Thank you Legs, that is so kind of you. I shall make a note of those recipes - I thought that vast quantities of butter would be involved and as I don't like that I've never tried! I promise to and I will offer feedback - I adore fish and this is a lovely way to have it. Hot horseradish is a staple in our larder (grand name for a cupboard on the wall :) ) as we use it for dips. DD
  • phoenixoxo
    phoenixoxo Member Posts: 625
    Hi Linda,

Yes, I'm on anti-TNF medication and I still eat yogurts, pretty much one per day. When I started on Enbrel I was warned about mayo, unripened cheese and paté, but no one has mentioned yogurts during the past six years or so. Activia strawberry's my favourite.

Your homemade paté sounds amazing, by the way!

Best wishes,
    Phoebe
    PsA (psoriatic arthritis) and other things since 1990. Happy to help when I can :-)
  • lindalegs
    phoenixe wrote:

Activia strawberry's my favourite.

Your homemade paté sounds amazing, by the way!

Best wishes,
    Phoebe

Thanks Phoenixe, I shall be trying yoghurt again after what everyone's said. This forum and the people on it are a brilliant sounding board.

Activia strawberry is my favourite too and I've had to watch and drool as Mr Legs devours them on his own. :roll:

Not only is the paté delicious it's so easy to make.

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    Your fish pate recipe sounds delicious Linda, will give it a go. Perhaps we should start a recipe thread.....? :lol:
  • dreamdaisy
    There was an excellent one on chit-chat, begun by delboy many many moons ago, but that went the way of all his posts due to a careless push of a button. :roll: There were some cracking recipes on there from so many people, perhaps it is time to resurrect it. Go on Legs, kick it off with your lovely paté instructions! DD
  • lindalegs
    delboy wrote:

I'm supposed to give up cigarettes, alcohol and the foods mentioned but if did that there would be little point to life and I'm damned sure I would descend into a trough of deep depression if I did so.

I'm inclined to agree Del, I would loathe to give up my weekend wine. :shock:

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
  • lindalegs
    Well, I've started the recipe thread off now so Sally and Dreamdaisy maybe you'd like to add yours?????? :D

...............and others too the more the merrier, we could start a cyber cooking school :D:D

Luv,
    Love, Legs x