Rant Alert!

Options
lindalegs
lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
edited 15. May 2012, 06:27 in Community Chit-chat archive
Mr Legs and I had a trip out the other day to my favourite shopping centre at Milton Keynes. I wanted a new dress so we headed straight for M&S. We chose six dresses for me to try and as I need help with dressing and undressing we asked if Mr Legs could come into the changing room to help me with the clothes. We were told that this was not possible but we could use their ‘exchange policy’, purchase all six dresses and return them if they were unsuitable!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock:

The other suggestion made was for an assistant to help me try the clothes on. This also wasn’t viable as an assistant wouldn’t know how to help me as my joint mobility is very limited and my joints are also painful as you fellow sufferers would empathise with. Extremely disappointed we decided to take our custom elsewhere, when they made a phone call and we were asked to wait whilst a suitable area was made available for our use. :|

We were then taken to changing rooms which had been ‘roped off’ in the Per Una section and watched as rails of clothes were wheeled out into another section. We were stunned to find that the area made available ‘especially for us’ was the disabled changing room! It was well equipped with grab rails, mirror and a seat!

I was incensed as life is difficult enough when you have a disability without having to climb through hoops for a basic right.

I’ve today written to their CEO as this should not be happening!

Rant over!

Luv,
Love, Legs x
'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'

Comments

• mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I would have had a go too,hope they have the courtsey to reply. Did you get a dress.Mig
  • coco67
    coco67 Member Posts: 2,374
    Options
    that is disgusting, i hope who ever desided to use the changing room as a storage place gets a rollaking. what is wrong with people why do they have such disregard for the disabled.

i hope you found a dress after all that palava
  • lindalegs
    Options
    Actually I bought two of them because I could decide, but I haven't admitted this in the letter :wink:

Dresses below and please imagine I look like the model in them :lol::lol:

41pJQMD4pfL_SX85_SH35_.jpg

31pIgWaZCL_SX85_SH35_.jpg

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    you look lovely and dyed your hair so quick val
    val
  • sugarbuttie
    sugarbuttie Member Posts: 225
    Options
    I am fuming on your behalf! Fancy using the disabled changing room as a storage area. I expected more from M&S. Good on you for writing to the CEO.

PS I love the patterned dress
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Good for you legs, its awful how we can some times be ignored has though the disabled dont exist.....must say I love the dresses
    Tell you what its good to know that we can ask for these changing rooms, I didnt have a clue...so thanks for that x
    Love
    Barbara
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Linda I too have had this problem with both m&s and debenhams :(
    and it does make you feel like crying.
    They also always seem to put the disabled cubical right at the very end. NOW wouldn't it be better to put it first so that our OHs wouldn't have to walk past them all :roll:

I hope you get a reply of an apology and hopefully a complimentary voucher too. :)

juliepf x
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    How awful Linda and so pleased you complained.
    I tend to take clothes away, try them on at home then return them, mainly because the rooms are so cramped. It is a long, tedious business I'd rather attempt in the privacy of my home.

Both dresses look lovely by the way.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    that deserves a good rant legs..
    As a bloke I never try owt on in the shops so I'm ok, but to have disabled changing rooms but use them as storage and only admit they're there after you said you would go elsewhere is horrid. They obviously know the room was there but weren't going to admit it..
    We are obviously too much trouble for these insensitive @#$#%%()!!!

By the way, you look much better in the first dress lol

Let us all know if and what reply you get?

X
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    I can just about accept that a disabled changing room might be pressed into use for temporary storage if it wasn't used much but to then prioritise the storage over a disabled person begs belief.

Mind you, if they advertised it well, I can't believe that it wouldn't be in constant use. I usually find that disabled loos that don't require a key are much favoured by those who are perfectly capable of using the normal ones.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Legs, that is awful, I'm disgusted. In our M&S there are two sets of changing rooms, on the ground floor the disabled part is at the far end but on the first floor it's the first one on the left. M&S should take a leaf out of Primark's book - I note they have dedicated disabled till points. It's not rocket science is it? It's outrageous - I would expect better from a firm like M&S. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • lindalegs
    Options
    I think I would have been more understanding if it was a small store but it is one of their largest!

I'm waiting for an apology and will keep you all posted.

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    You want to threaten them with the local radio network if they ignore you legs, kick up a stink I would, the stupid buggers deserves it and more.
  • lindalegs
    Options
    That's a good idea Mel, I shall wait and see what happens with the letter I sent first but that will be the next plan of action. I reckon they'll think of a good excuse though. :roll:

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
  • suncatcher
    suncatcher Member Posts: 2,174
    Options
    I'm sorry you have been treated this way. I hope they have a good rollicking.
    I am sure you look better than the model legs. :D Nice dress,s

hope you get an apology from CEO.
    joanne
    Joanne
  • lindalegs
    Options
    I have, today, received 18 pink roses, 14 scented stocks and lavender from M & S. Along with a letter of deepest apology and reassurance it will never happen again. They have a changing room for the disabled always available in their Milton Keynes store are checking that will have suitable changing space on all floors of their store at all times.

I'm cheap, I've been bought off with a bouquet of flowers and an apology. :lol:

Photo below:

MandSBouquet.jpg

Sometimes it's worth taking the time to complain. :D

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    Well done, Legs. You got a result and lots of disabled people have, consequently, got a changing room.

(I was a bit puzzled when I read it as 14 scented socks I wondered if it was a covert message :lol:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • diamond
    diamond Member Posts: 396
    Options
    Well Done Linda in complaining flowers and apology i should think so,firm like that should know better.xx
  • ichabod6
    ichabod6 Member Posts: 843
    Options
    Hello Linda with the legs,

Nice flowers. Is that one of your paintings in the
    background?
  • lindalegs
    Options
    The flowers are beautiful ........................though I did wonder about claiming I was allergic to flowers and asking for vouchers instead :shock: :oops: ........................it was just a thought :lol::lol::lol::lol:

..............and, yes, Ichabod that is one of mine, but don't tell anyone :wink:

Love,
    Love, Legs x
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    That was a nice surprise Linda. Better take their letter with you next time you go to MK-just in case.

E x
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Well done Legs, at least you have had an apology but it would have been nice if they had also refunded the cost of the frocks! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • lindalegs
    Options
    I quite fancied Sticky's scented socks myself! :lol::lol:

Luv,
    Love, Legs x