depression

Options
mark2812
mark2812 Member Posts: 4
edited 3. May 2012, 18:10 in Community Chit-chat archive
hi there i`m new to the site so not sure what to expect.
i have had joint problems all my life and like everyone i have good days and bad. i`m 44 and a single parent i have recently started my own business and things have been going well. until the last few weeks when the joint pain has been quite bad my doctor has increased my meds but i`m finding the depression the hardest to deal with the constant pain and not being able to do simple tasks it has been getting me right down and feel tears welling up all the time
is this normal! and any ideas how to get through it

Comments

• mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Yes this can happen with it got me like that from time to time, also strong pain meds can lower your Serotonin levels so your caught between a rock and a hard place but understanding med's and how they work and react inside the body is info and all info is good in this game and it helps you have a plan another good thing to do with OA or RA.
    One way to deal with your work it is to try and break thnigs down into units, you might find you can do all you want but setting goals so you can monitor your work load and this might well help you to understand what effects these's efforts have on you , that said you will have to accept that some days your going to have pain that stops you doing something so if it does switch what your doing to something that's less painful, it will occupy your mind though so you will distract yourself which is good to do.
    You have to be adaptable with this lark otherwise it can get to you but having in depth knoweldge and a cunning plan will give you more control of your life.
    Also coming here is a being proactive, this place is a mine full of information and advice, and there's always a cyber shoulder to cry on from time to time if you need one, so welcome aboard the good ship Arthritis care!!. :mrgreen:
  • RosieGlow
    RosieGlow Member Posts: 175
    Options
    Hello Mark.

Its hard finding the right balance isn`t it? Constant pain is crippling, both emotionally, as well as physically. I wondered if your GP has actually diagnosed depression. If so, then have you been given anti-depressants to help you in the short term? If not, ask for some. They can be very helpful, when used correctly. If, however, you are feeling low because of unremitting pain, I`m afraid it seems to come with the territory. I would see your doctor again, and have another chat, to re-assess your current feeling. Good luck.....Rosie.
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    I've been on cirtilopram for a while now and although I still have of days I am a little better than I was.
    Don't get me wrong, the relentless pain is horid and really pee's me off still..

Mell has given some sound advice (strange for him, did you know he's not of this Earth?? Haha) about sectioning tasks...

Take it easy, now you've found us at least you know you're far from on your own with this crappy disease :D

Be well matey
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    Hello Mark and welcome from me too.

It’s a bit of a vicious circle, isn’t it – pain, depression, pain? I guess starting up your own business – for all things are going well – is a stressful time and arthritis does thrive on stress. Maybe, also, you’re putting more of an effort into it than you’re aware of.

Mellman’s given you some good, practical hints and, as Rosieglow and Tjt say, you could always get some anti-depressants to tide you over a particularly bad patch.

If possible try not to stick at any one thing for too long. Even sitting at a computer. I think they reckon we should get up and stretch everything after 20 mins. Do you do any exercises? They help to keep muscles strong which, in turn, helps to keep pain levels down. AC produce a booklet of them (See ‘Pubs. & Resources’ at top of page).

Have you anyone at hand to help with the ‘simple tasks’ that are not so simple? There is a thread near the top of the Living With Arthritis forum called ‘Simple Ideas…..’. There are often ways and means round doing things that able-bodied people would never think of.

And, don’t forget, you can always talk to us. We do understand.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, it's nice to meet you and I am glad you have found us. Many of us on here are in constant pain and quite a few of us are on anti-depressants. I was put onto them a year ago when I found out that I have OA as well as PsA, I wanted that to be a short-term thing but my consultant has advised that I stay on them to help me cope with the pain. I'm having a rough time at the moment but I guess they are helping me to cope better than I otherwise would.

I too run my own, microscopically small, business and I find that my boss completely understands my health problems. :wink: I have had to cancel one session today but that still leaves two to do and yes, they will be a struggle but as the whole of life is a struggle that's nothing new. Starting a business is a stressful time - I began mine two years before the arthritis started but I can still remember how tough it was. I have no wise words or miracle cures apart from keep up with your meds, rest as muich as you can, delegate whenever possible and come and talk to us. We are an empathetic crowd as we know what this is like. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Options
    Mark

Oh heck your message touched me but I can see positive things in it too...You are still carrying on your business, its your own so you will have lots more to do but you havent given in....The medication youre on probbaly is affecting your mood too by the sounds of it, I mean it can be so frustrating when you go to do something youve done all your life then suddenly you cant do it no more....Awful aint it and not good for morale..
    Do you have someone you can talk to, let it out so to speak?
    But youve done a great thing too logging on here, everyone has given you fabulous advice and suport already...

Good luck Mark,

Elainexx
    mark2812 wrote:
    hi there i`m new to the site so not sure what to expect.
    i have had joint problems all my life and like everyone i have good days and bad. i`m 44 and a single parent i have recently started my own business and things have been going well. until the last few weeks when the joint pain has been quite bad my doctor has increased my meds but i`m finding the depression the hardest to deal with the constant pain and not being able to do simple tasks it has been getting me right down and feel tears welling up all the time
    is this normal! and any ideas how to get through it
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello again Mark - I forgot to say that yes, what you are feeling is entirely normal. Feeling as though one is losing one's life to arthritis is far from fun, its ripples spread to touch all aspects of our lives as well as the lives of those around us. After fifteen years of this (starting with one affected joint and now having considerably more) I still grizzle from time to time and always feel better for doing so. It does help to cry and it's nothing of which to be ashamed. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Mark
    And welcome to the forum, like the others have said this is entirely normal, some take medication others find a way through it themselves, talking is a great help so you have a good rant on here.
    I do wish you well with everything x
    Love
    Barbara
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    hi welcome it so normal to feel like this in part we have to mourn for what we have lost also we do not get out into the sun as often as we did so get less vit d , add that to pain lack of sleep, exhaustion well as the others have said it not easy but there are good days and you are doing so well even if you do not feel that you are if you need to moan or scream we are here glad to have you we do great pocket duties (we cyber hop in each others pockets to give suport when going docs rhummy or what ever) val
    val
  • mark2812
    mark2812 Member Posts: 4
    Options
    thanks everyone its surprising how just posting how i felt made me feel better.
    i have taken on board what mellman has said and can see the logic in setting goals and will certainly try to implement some work plans in order that i can perhaps continue when things are hard.
    Rosieglow no my doctor has not diagnosed depression we discussed it a few years ago but his plan was to get me out getting excersice and feeling motivated. and besides the odd glich it had been sucsessful. i think that i may have been thinking i was doing ok so this last few weeks having the pain as bad as i have has knocked me fo a 6.
    inside i know that as soon as the nice weather returns i will not feel half as bad ( i hope) its just a case off getting through it