Are you aged 40-74?

Options
stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
edited 11. May 2012, 16:15 in Community Chit-chat archive
Routine blood test this morning. The nurse flagged up that I’d never had a diabetes or cholesterol test. It turned out that she’d been ‘on a course’ yesterday which was pushing routine Health Checks for 40-74 year olds, at their GP's practice, in an effort to prevent heart disease, stroke, diabetes and kidney disease. (Presumably, once you hit 75 you’re on your own :) ) Anyway, I’ve to ask for one when I next book in for bloods. Some of you might already be aware of these but I wasn’t so I thought I’d let you know..

So………in the competitive SW household, so far he is ahead on mobility :roll: and diabetes in that he knows he hasn’t got it whereas I’ve never been checked. But, using the same yardstick, I consider I’m in the lead on cholesterol as mine's never been checked and his is borderline. Plus, I reckon I’m one up on him re BP as his is only lower than mine because he takes pills for it, Of course, in 2 month’s time, I could be eating humble pie. (I'll never have prostate problems though :lol: )
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Sticky
    Thanks for the tip
    I didnt know that....its worth remembering. I will have a BP test in about 2 months so will check then about having an MOT :lol::lol:
    Love
    Hileena
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi sticky
    Yeah had mine...its called something like find and treat...my cholesterol was raised..so I am trying to lower it naturally before they put me on statins :roll:
    Love
    Barbara
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    they call us in 40th 50th birthdays etc to get all these done apart from arther which has given me high blood pressure i doing ok lol
    val
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    Not heard of it Sticky :?
    I am already on statins, so hoping the cholesterol is ok, checked my blood sugar with mi neighbours machine not too long ago and that was fine too :D
    Prostate is fine too according to Doctor Coldfinger I saw last year :shock: :lol:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • JuliaHod12
    JuliaHod12 Member Posts: 456
    Options
    hehehehe.......... :-)

only ever had my cholesterol checked when i worked for the Police ....it was fine then, but that was nearly 10yrs ago now! ;-)

OH never has any issues with anything........other than having his lump removed the other week......he referred to it as his little voice which said all the right things! ;-)

I've got numerous ailments yet his BP stayed normal even when in hospital.....make me sick!
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    rehab44 wrote:
    tjt6768 wrote:
    I am already on statins, so hoping the cholesterol is ok, checked my blood sugar with mi neighbours machine not too long ago and that was fine too :D
    Prostate is fine too according to Doctor Coldfinger I saw last year :shock: :lol:
    I had one of those prostate thingies done, it was all a bit strange though. I was not quite sure what to do when he started kissing the back of my neck and called me ' big boy'. Those immigrant doctors are a bit odd

In your dreams :lol:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • tjt6768
    Options
    i think we may have had the same doctor... Wouldn't mind, he never even bought me a drink first :shock:
    rehab44 wrote:
    tjt6768 wrote:
    I had one of those prostate thingies done, it was all a bit strange though. I was not quite sure what to do when he started kissing the back of my neck and called me ' big boy'. Those immigrant doctors are a bit odd
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,485
    Options
    Far too young to read this thread :?

...eyes look shiftily from side to side......
  • tjt6768
    Options
    frogmorton wrote:
    Far too young to read this thread :?

...eyes look shiftily from side to side......
    :lol::lol:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • rubyjay
    rubyjay Member Posts: 13
    Options
    Yes I had mine done last week and been to doctors today for results.....Kidney function has reduced to 54% and cholesterol is 6.5....He has advised me to reduce pregabalin until i am off them completely, he is also wanting a water test, and asked me to make an appointment with the nurse to discuss lifestyle changes.....I am disappointed as i struggle with medication and pregabalin seemed to be fine..
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,485
    Options
    Wodner why Tony is laughing at me :shock:

Rubyjay l am SO pleased they have found out and will put you right. Bet you were tired with that low kidney function.

Love

Toni xx
  • rubyjay
    rubyjay Member Posts: 13
    Options
    Thanks Toni,,Yes maybe that could be causing some of the tiredness..It is just above borderline for age etc.but the doctor says that he would like to do the water tests..I am glad I had the tests done...rubyjay xx
  • lupin15
    lupin15 Member Posts: 2,182
    Options
    If god meant me to give blood he would have put a tap on my.... (you can pick for the fun of it..) Haven't got a prostrate so should be fine and i enjoy eating butter and sweets so i think i will give it a miss... :D:D
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I didn't know about that. I did have a lot of tests done a few weeks ago and everything was fine.
    Christine