Mother & Ducklings Oh No!

Options
elainebadknee
elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
edited 8. May 2012, 10:13 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi There

I live in LKendal and had to take my mum and dad to lancaster train station today for a weekend away...So duly dropped them off and on the way back on the M6 was driving in the middle lane just past Carnforth junction...A little red polo pulled out in front of me and I thought "why, cos she isnt going fast and wasnt overtaking anything"....To my horror I saw a mother duck and her little babies in the slow lane...Now I instantly felt sick as they wouldnt stand a chance of living...Some cars were avoiding them and being considerate but on a busy motorway other will run them over rather than avoid them...
Bless them, makes me wonder why she took them on that route...Cant they sense danger?

Elainex

Comments

• tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    Animals don’t seem to equate cars with danger, our dogs are the same if you ran at them they’d jump out the way before you run into them but cars they have concept of the danger, not sure if it’s because they don’t see them as animals or what but our dogs would happily run in front of them.
    I also tried to save a woodcock that had got onto the busy road from the A34 down to the Didcot power station, I’d driven by it went round the far round about came back up the road pulled over but before I could get to it some feckwit ran it over although they could have easily have gone round it, really pissed me off, some people are flippin blind and or don’t give a two s***s.
    A good hintis if you see animals on roads at night dip your dammed lights and the animal will have more of a chance to get out the way, they have very good night vision and full head lights totally blind them so they either freeze or panic and run the wrong way.
    More importantly if you see deer run across the road slow down as they move in big groups so there are always a few stragglers who will catch you out by coming up the rear.
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Elizabeth

The cars werent going that slow on friday..I saw a drake dead on sunday so fear the mum n little ones never made it!!

Elainex
    tkachev wrote:
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi Mellman

Its off isnt it if you clap hands, make a noise they would run off but think nothing of a busy motorway...Surely their vision would tell them its not a good place to go?
    I hate it when people just kill animals cos they are too busy or cant be bothered.....

Elainex
    mellman01 wrote:
    Animals don’t seem to equate cars with danger, our dogs are the same if you ran at them they’d jump out the way before you run into them but cars they have concept of the danger, not sure if it’s because they don’t see them as animals or what but our dogs would happily run in front of them.
    I also tried to save a woodcock that had got onto the busy road from the A34 down to the Didcot power station, I’d driven by it went round the far round about came back up the road pulled over but before I could get to it some feckwit ran it over although they could have easily have gone round it, really pissed me off, some people are flippin blind and or don’t give a two s***s.
    A good hintis if you see animals on roads at night dip your dammed lights and the animal will have more of a chance to get out the way, they have very good night vision and full head lights totally blind them so they either freeze or panic and run the wrong way.
    More importantly if you see deer run across the road slow down as they move in big groups so there are always a few stragglers who will catch you out by coming up the rear.
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    at least they weren't on the football pitch! Poor old Blackburn.

e x
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Elaine its so sad to see animals on or heading for the motorway....I go home and worry if I have seen anything like this.
    We did see a pony on the M62 the police were brilliant...and with the help of the drivers managed to catch it.
    Suppose there are so many fields overlooking the motorways , there's not much they can do.
    Love
    Barbara
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    Blackburn Liz?, why did they go out for, (yes you've guessed what's coming!) a duck?, boom boom!.
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Elizabeth

That was sick putting that chicken on the pitch an aim at Venky's....

Elainex
    tkachev wrote:
    at least they weren't on the football pitch! Poor old Blackburn.

e x
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi Barbara

Yeah I accept that animals will wander and thats a fact of life..But these poor ducklings and mum my blood ran cold....

Elainex
    barbara12 wrote:
    Elaine its so sad to see animals on or heading for the motorway....I go home and worry if I have seen anything like this.
    We did see a pony on the M62 the police were brilliant...and with the help of the drivers managed to catch it.
    Suppose there are so many fields overlooking the motorways , there's not much they can do.