i miss my parents

Options
barking1
barking1 Member Posts: 185
edited 20. May 2012, 02:31 in Community Chit-chat archive
well the title really says it all, today is the anniversary of losing my dad, it will be 12 years, but feels like yesterday still i miss both my parents so much you dont realise until they are gone what you miss, its the little things like telling them my son is a free reader at school and stuff like that more than anything , picking up the phone any time you want and they will listen to you no matter what, mum died 7 years ago to so its not easy talking about them with my 7 year old as he came along late and my other children have great, grandparent memories that he wont have, so all you peeps with parents pick up the phone and enjoy them xx Jane

Comments

• tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I'm sorry to read your post Jane. It is going to be a difficult day for you but try to focus on the lovely memories and allow yourself a smile or two.

Elizabeth x
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • Puschinka
    Puschinka Member Posts: 176
    Options
    Hi Jane, I sympathize with you, as it's 22 years today ( and it doesnt seem that long at all!) that my Dad passed away, after battling an illness for over a year that was finally diagnosed as cancer. By then it was too late...
    But he refused until the end, to accept that he had terminal cancer, having always lived such an active and healthy life.
    He first became ill just weeks into his much looked forward to and well deserved early retirement from a very stressful job.
    My Dad passed away at home, holding my Mum's hand.
    Not a day goes by when I don't think about him and miss him.

My Mum is nearly 83 and since losing my Dad she has been through two knee replacements, various fractures to hips and pelvis, a thyroid OP and only last year, open heart surgery, from which she has also bounced back amazingly well.
    My Dad was her soulmate, they were childhood sweethearts and their marriage was very happy. It has been a long and lonely 22 years for her...
    but she and I are very close and I can't imagine how I will cope when her time comes...She has aways been and still is, my best friend.
    And although we live very far apart and see each other very rarely... we speak on the phone at least twice a week and I still feel as close to her now as I did when I was a girl and still lived at home.

I am sending warm an sincere thoughts and hugs your way on this day, Jane.
    Remember their love and all the good times and never stop talking to your children about them, even your youngest one. That way the memory of your parents will always be in their hearts too. xx
    Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans.
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Hi Jane I understand what your feeling, I don't have a good relationship with my parents but had a very close relationship with mother & father -in -law. So close I called them mom & Dad. We lost mom 8 years ago and that hit us hard & of course Dad, so we made the decision to move closer to Dad. So we brought a nice house 2 streets away from Dad and our relationship got stronger. We lost Dad suddenly 3 yrs ago, and that still feels like yesterday, I believe it feels like that because we found him. But every day it's gets easier to talk about it. We are starting to sell his possesions because they are taking up room in our house and we wouldn't use them or collect them. It is hard still to let go. So Jane I know how hard it can be, it's like a knot in your heart and someone's pulling at the rope. It will never go away.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,463
    Options
    Hope you are ok today Jane :(

Tis right you miss them you know - it means their lives were really worthwhile :) They were loved by you.

Oddly enough l planted a blue moon rose in my garden in memory of my Mum the same day l think as you posted this :shock:

I too am an orphan

Love

Toni xx
  • barking1
    barking1 Member Posts: 185
    Options
    Thankyou everyone for understanding they say it gets better with time and to some extent i suppose it does but the hurt is still there, today i feel good emotionally so onward and upward , keep smiling xx Jane
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    Hello Jane Its so sad to hear you, i feel so much for you. grief can be so hard to deal with. I still have my dad and i'm 65 i'm so lucky most others dear to me have past and its so hard to deal with. Sometimes i just cry. Yes time helps but it doesent fix it i dont believe its ever fixed we just start coping better. Love to you and yours your boy sounds so nice.
    Colin
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Jane
    I just want to send you some hugs, I lost my parents a long time ago now, but I still miss them so much ,tomorrow is the 18th anniversary of my father death...I will take some flowers and have a chat with him and my mum...must say I come away feeling much better.
    My mum used to say dont make it a burden going to the cemetery, only come when you feel like it...
    Here your hugs ((((((()))))) xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    Options
    HI jane,

what a thought-provoking post. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us.
    It's not easy at all, I know, missing a parent at those specific moments in time when you'd love them to be a part of special occasions.

This year I have the dubious 'milestone' of having lived for twice as long without my mum as I did with her. :shock: It seems such a long time, but I think about her often, and I do like to think that somehow, and somewhere, she's aware of how things have gone for me. Just writing it down sometimes helps, and I do hope that is the case with you.

thinking of you and sending hugs (((())))
    Wonky xxxx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,463
    Options
    Oh Gosh

Still bawling over everyone's experiences :(

Take care everyone

Love

Toni xxx
  • ichabod6
    ichabod6 Member Posts: 843
    Options
    Hello Jane,

I lost my dad many years ago and the single biggest regret
    I have in my life is that my son never met my dad.
    I very much endorse the admonition at the end of your post
    and would only add to phone grand parents too.
    One of the nicest if not the nicest word in my vocabulary is
    "Grandad."
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    ill have some of that ichabod best thing i was ever called
    Colin
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • suncatcher
    suncatcher Member Posts: 2,174
    Options
    I know what you mean. I miss my mom she died about 7 years ago and never got to meet her grand son. Mom died in the September my son was born in the jan.
    My son now Severn has missed out i think . My dad his mental health has gone down a lot since mom died. My dad has gone back in time but i am listening intently as i am eager to learn about his life. My dad never talked about it while growing up. These are memories i will treasure. It is right pick up that phone tell em you love em. Thankyou for sharing what is for you a painful time. Hugs your way i think from Joanne
    Joanne