Hi, Welcome!

The community is a safe space for people living with and connected to arthritis to ask questions and share experiences. Get started by registering here and posting your first comment or question!

Sign In with a Versus Arthritis account

Voice recognition software

julie47julie47 Posts: 6,142
edited 26. May 2012, 04:04 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hello every one

I am having lots of trouble typing not only because I use only one finger due to mis shaped hands but looking down at the keyboard gives me a real headache due to a bad neck. I have to lift my head back up by pushing my chin up with the back of my hand and I am then left with a splitting headache.

My question.....can anyone recommend a voice recognition software? :)

Thank you
Love Juliepf x

Comments

• AnnahAnnah Posts: 92
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    The only one I'd recommend is Dragon, by Nuance Systems. Their latest is Dragon 11. It's a little tricky to learn to use, but well worth it if you have painful hands.
  • julie47julie47 Posts: 6,142
    Thank you Annah and Delboy

I have seen that product on the net but wanted reassurance from some one first who had actually used it.

I will now really consider purchasing one

Thank you again for your help.

Love juliepf x
  • WonkylegsWonkylegs Posts: 3,504
    a few people on the forum have tried out Dragon - i'll be using it just as soon as I have sorted our wifi system out and installed the dragon onto our laptop. i wish I'd already done it, but there's been so much new to learn!

One word of warning - the latest editions of dragon are all singing and all dancing, but because of this they require a lot of memory (RAM) depending on your operating system it could be up to 2GB :shock: hence why I waited until we got the new laptop.

if your computer or operating system is older, it was suggested before that a good way of still being able to use dragon would be to buy an older version which requires much less of your system.

I found the manufacturer's helpline particularly good in helping me decide which version was for me. (and which were suitalbe for my machine)

good luck with whatever you decide!

WOnky xxx
  • Colin1Colin1 Posts: 1,769
    I tried this a few years ago dont know what make it was, kept me busy for a while but could bnot grasp the scouse lingo.
    Colin
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • barbara12barbara12 Posts: 20,942 ✭✭
    Oh Colin I was just going to say the same, my son has it and I had a go, you have to spend around half hour getting it used to your voice...but I got there in the end :lol: ...it is brilliant , but like Wonky says its takes a lot of memory up , but the price now is very good...its was around £100 when it cam out.
    Julie if you ever see it on one of the shopping channels give it a try, if it doesn't suit you can send it back.
    Love
    Barbara
  • julie47julie47 Posts: 6,142
    Thankyou Wonky, Colin and barbara.

I will take note of all this advice.

I can't remember how much memory this laptop has but I will make sure I have enough space for the programme. Thank you for pointing that out before I chose one. I have other programmes on here so may have to get rid of some.

As for understanding ME , my poor computer, even I have trouble understanding me :lol:

Thanks again
    Julie x
  • StarburstStarburst Posts: 2,546
    I agree that Dragon takes up a lot of memory and if you don't have enough, it makes your machine run so slowly that it cannot function. I was given the prog. by the disability people at uni and it's never understood my voice, so I gave up. However, everyone I've spoken to raves about it and I think it's just me and my lack of patience rather than the actual programme. :D

Shop around online for some cheap deals. It's come down in price a lot. x
  • stickywicketstickywicket Posts: 25,998 ✭✭✭
    julie47 wrote:
    As for understanding ME , my poor computer, even I have trouble understanding me :lol:

I have no problem at all understanding you, Julie. You just need a machine that speaks proper Yorkshire. :wink:
    “There is always a well-known solution to every human problem - neat, plausible, and wrong.” H.L. Mencken
  • frogmortonfrogmorton Posts: 26,324 ✭✭✭✭
    Julie

if you give it a go (I think patience is what is needed until it learns your accent!) please would you let us know how you get on.

Love

Toni xxx
    Love

Toni xxx