Memory Foam

Options
desjumeaux
desjumeaux Member Posts: 52
edited 29. May 2012, 08:46 in Living with Arthritis archive
My kids keep telling me to have a memory foam mattress.

I have real problems in the side of my legs at night unless I sleep on my back my legs hurt like h..l.

Do any of my fellow sufferers have a memory foam mattress or pillow?

I would hate to spend the money and then find its no good.

:)

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    This is a topic that crops up regularly and, if you put 'memory foam mattress' into the AC search engine, you'll find previous threads.

My own view is that the full MF was hot and I sunk in so I found it hard to turn over. We now have one that's mostly sprung and the top 2"-3" is memory foam and I'd never go back to any other.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    We have a good pocket sprung mattress but my feet and ankles were hugely sore, then I got sore hips/thighs too so you have my sympathy. We got a memory foam mattress topper-a good quality one that's about 3 inches deep-it's pure bliss, so soft and cushioned for sore joints. The one draw back is it's really hot on these warm nights.
    Hope you find a way of getting comfortable soon. :)
    Deb
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Options
    We also have a 3" memory foam topper ; helps a great deal and is sorely missed whenever we go away ! Got ours by checking out eb#y as the ones in the shops were ridiculous prices . Jillyb
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    i missed mine when away on holiday it is bit warm but worth it i have topper they not to expensive to give a try val
    val
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi I have a mattress topper too and it helps me. I also have a memory foam pillow, which helps my neck. If my back is bad and I can't sleep an ordinary pillow under my knees helps take the weight of my legs.
    Hope you find the right thing for you! Love Suexxx
  • succotash
    succotash Member Posts: 83
    Options
    I LOVE mine

There are different types
    A foam mattress with memory foam top; they are very dense and difficult to move around on. turning over can be a pain.
    A sprung mattress with memory foam top is what we have. They have hundreds of separate springs inside that are fairly small so that they can contour your body. Its easy to turn over on it and extremely comfortable.
    Only downside is the heat. Its lovely in the winter but summer can be very hot. I do think you can get cool fabric on them now though.

I would never go back to a normal matteress ever!
    How come I'm over the hill and rapidly going down it, when I don't even recall reaching the summit?
  • sbolam
    sbolam Member Posts: 374
    Options
    I too have a memory foam and to say its the best thing ever is an understatement, I have oa in my kness and I found it supports me very well, other than getting a little warm..I would not go back.

stephen
    04_pain.jpg
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    I only have a MF topper in the caravan and its good......keep meaning to get one for home.
    Have you tried a thick duvet underneath at first....see how that goes?
    That will be warm on these nights as well but how many of these do we get :lol:

Love
    Hileena
  • 4yannie
    4yannie Member Posts: 2
    Options
    It's a strange one this, memory foam makes a massive difference to the bed, even using a mattress topper.
    Some people say they hate it and some can't live without one.
    I think your best option is to go into a bed store and go lie on one and see what you think. All beds have different types of surfaces and the depth of them and you seriously have to "try it on" before you buy lol :lol:
    Dunelm Mill do really nice toppers and they usually have a display bed around that you could could throw yourself on for a test, if not, ask them if you bought one and didn't like it, could you be refunded - Dunelm are usually good.
    I hope this helps somewhat xx
  • desjumeaux
    Options
    I must say a big thank you so much for all the replies, its lovely to know that people will answer your questions.

After reading them all we decided it was well worth a try, we took advice and went for the 3" deep which we got a Argos. (its close to us, Dunelm is a long way to go). Its currently lying resting and 'breathing' to get its shape right.

Hope its ready for tonight,

ps I remembered to get a deep fitted sheet for the bed, I knew mine wouldn't fit its a struggle now to get it on.

Thanks xxx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Good luck, I hope it helps you have a more comfortable night. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • liesa
    liesa Member Posts: 821
    Options
    we have a 2 inch one and its lovely so soft on my poor sore joints xx
    love and hugs
    8997C823B17A6252CBCA252F4BF2932D.png
  • desjumeaux
    Options
    Thank you all so much for recommending the memory foam. We bought one from Argos and I have now had two decent night sleeps on it.

Thank you hope it continues .............

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    good aren't they
    val
  • JoeB2
    JoeB2 Bots Posts: 31
    Options
    My wife decided to get one of these memory foam matresses (I just obey and agree). I have no idea why - clever marketing perhaps. Anyway my own experience has been rather negative - I find it aggravates my aches and pains. I wish we could get rid of it !