Waking up during the night.

Options
moonheid
moonheid Member Posts: 8
edited 27. May 2012, 17:55 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hey all, any tips for staying asleep? The arthritis in my knee and hip wake me every single night. Been like this for months and months. Drugs don't work, i still wake. Nothing can give me 6 hours solid sleep. Not much to ask.....

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I know you said drugs don't work, moonheid, but have you seen sbolam's thread below (Finally got something to help me sleep ). It seems this has worked for him where others didn't.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • sbolam
    sbolam Member Posts: 374
    Options
    I have tried various types of sleeping pills over the years and none of them did anything..

Yesterday I saw my GP and he gave me Amitriptyline and I have to say Its the best Drug ever..had the best nights sleep I have had in what seems like forever.

stephen.
    04_pain.jpg
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    Amitryptiline is supposed to be excellent....according to most people on here that take it.
    My GP was going to put me on it {lack of sleep} then discovered I couldnt take it because of some other meds I'm taking.
    I was so disappointed because of all the results I'd heard.
    Hileena
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I wake every 90 minutes or so thanks to pain but I prefer that as it makes me move. If I sleep too long in one position (I can no longer turn over in my sleep) then I am well and truly in trouble the next morning. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Options
    Hello Moonheid

I don't know what drugs you have tried to help you sleep, but Oromorph does it for me, where sleeping pills/tranquilisers never did. I hadn't slept for more than a couple of hours at a time for several years and recently I was prescribed Oromorph for another condition and I am now getting at least 6 hours uninterrupted sleep each night.

Last night I was aware of things hurting while I was asleep, but it didn't wake me up. Although I am uncomfortable rather than in real pain at the moment, the GP has told me that I can pretty much take as much Oromorph as I need, as often as I need it, so I feel much more in control of things. The doc tells me that Oromorph doesn't have a great sedative effect so it must just be that it keeps things under control so I can sleep.

Really hope you can find something to help you cos, like many on here, I know what long term lack of sleep does to you.

Tillyxxx
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi moonheid

Tis no joke is it? I am lucky to get 3 hours before the back yells at me. Cus I can't turn I end up on my back and the lumber does not like it at all. Tried loads of things to stop me from turning but all have failed....

A lot of folks are on the ampy's and they find they help. Not sure if you have tried them but if you haven't it might be worth mentioning it to the gp or consultant?

Its not a joke and sleep deprivation doesn't help us at all does it? Getting comfortable in the first place might help? I find that almost impossible in its elf now but was given a topper and that does help a bit. For winter I use 2 duvets under the sheet as I need heat and they say you can't use them with the memory foam.

I also use relaxation and meditation if I can't get of to sleep but some folk like silence and well i the other way so often drift off from the meditation via music.... Others watch a dvd, tv etc and they find it helps but there must be something the gp can give you to help? Cris x