Hip Osteo Arthritis

Options
ian10945
ian10945 Member Posts: 3
edited 27. May 2012, 19:02 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello, I was scheduled for a total hip replacement last Sunday 20th March but, three days before the procedure I was called by the hopsital to say it was cancelled due to adverse blood test results and to visit my GP to sort out. It appears that 2 of my regular prescription drugs, diclofenac and lisinopril combined were not doing my kidney function and BP any good. Stopped diclofenac 2 weeks ago and went first to paracetomol and then co codamol for pain relief ,both to little effect.. GP started fortnightly blood tests hoping the situation stabilises. My problem is the pain! The dicolfenac has been most effective in this regard and my pain levels have increased from a 2 to a 9 on a scale of ten. My mobility and sleeping are severely impaired and. as I think the procedure will be delayed by a number of weeks has anyone any suggestions for pain relief I can put to my GP

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Ian
    That is awful that your op got cancelled, I think if this happened to me I would be in pieces.
    I am at the min waiting for a kidney scan, they did take my diclos off me last year because I had such an high reading, then they gave them back to me but again my kidney reading is on its way up.
    I also have OA of the hips, the only thing that helped me was the cocodamols I couldn't take the full strength all day so I split them with paracetamol...but please be aware that you dont take to much paracetamol.
    I do hope you get your THR very soon.
    Sorry I didnt say welcome to the forum x
    Love
    Barbara
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Hi Ian and welcome to the forum,

I'm so sorry that your surgery was cancelled, I know just how disappointing that is as my TKR revision was cancelled last year and I'd got as far as the 'X' on my leg 10 mins before the op and they discovered I'd had a temperature!

I do know that as soon as they sort out your bloods they'll get you in very quickly.

As for pain relief there are a whole mountain of drugs to go at so if you feel your meds aren't that effective go back to your GP and tell him/her so that they can try a stronger dose or something else entirely.

As a non-medicinal relief have you ever tried a TENs machine? Some surgeries do loan them out for short periods. You could try one and if you found it helped then you could buy one, in that way you wouldn't be wasting money.

Hope this helps.

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    Hello Ian10945. I can't say any better than Legs. She's given you some good advice so I'll just say welcome to the forum from me, too, and I hope things settle down quickly and you can get your op.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • ian10945
    ian10945 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the responses. I will call my GP tomorrow to see what alternative pain relief she can suggest. My procedure was originally booked for 2 years ago but the diclofenac had such a positive reaction that it was postponed then. I am wishing now I had gone ahead then! Within 24 hours of discontinuing them the pain was back with a vengeance!
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Ian,

I am sorry they have had to cancel your op but I hope the blood results will soon be back to normal.

I also echo Legs there are a raft of pain help and anti inflammatory out there and your gp should be able to help you. I know some folk find the paracetamol and co-dine helps but i could eat them like smarties and still they wouldn't hep me.

Our systems are all tuned differently but the gp should e bale to help you and please let us know how you get on. nice to meet you. Cris x