Travel Insurance Information

Options
elainebadknee
elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
edited 28. May 2012, 12:24 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi There!

Im going on holiday later on this year (september) and am thinking about getting holiday insurance. I am to go on a waiting list for TKR also in September so not sure what I should tell the companies when phoning up and getting quotes...
My brother did mention to me that it would cost me more than normal because of whats wrong with me but to me I just have osteochondritis dissecans and need one new knee - I cant see that making a major difference for insurance purposes...
Am I right, or is he? What do I disclose? If im not having the surgery till next year is it relevant?

Elainex

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    It will make a major difference, Elaine, if something (anything) goes wrong with your knee while you're away and you haven't told them about any current problems with it. As long as you do tell them it probably won't cost much, if any, more but get 3 quotes to be on the safe side. They all ask the same questions but then come up with different quotes. Supposing you fell and did some serious damage. They could blame your arthritis and refuse to pay up if you had witheld how bad it was. If you're under the care of an orthopaedic surgeon they'll deem it relevant.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Elaine
    We use .world-first.co.uk they are brilliant, I filled in the form on line and put down OA in multiple joints and I wasn't sure about a few other things so I rang them..and they were so nice to deal with, so make sure you put it all down , I even put on the form that my OH had a bakers cyst drained, I think we only paid an extra £8 on top of what we should have., and it was good to have peace of mind.x
    Love
    Barbara
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi

Well suppose the worst thing that could happen is I fell but the plus side of that would be id get treatment quicker! Ive always had arthritis previous holidays its just now I am surgery bound for sure..

Elainex
    It will make a major difference, Elaine, if something (anything) goes wrong with your knee while you're away and you haven't told them about any current problems with it. As long as you do tell them it probably won't cost much, if any, more but get 3 quotes to be on the safe side. They all ask the same questions but then come up with different quotes. Supposing you fell and did some serious damage. They could blame your arthritis and refuse to pay up if you had witheld how bad it was. If you're under the care of an orthopaedic surgeon they'll deem it relevant.
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi Barbara

Well yes I do have the OCD I mean have auto immune disease but do I declare that also? Will try that website thanks !!

Elainex
    barbara12 wrote:
    Hi Elaine
    We use .world-first.co.uk they are brilliant, I filled in the form on line and put down OA in multiple joints and I wasn't sure about a few other things so I rang them..and they were so nice to deal with, so make sure you put it all down , I even put on the form that my OH had a bakers cyst drained, I think we only paid an extra £8 on top of what we should have., and it was good to have peace of mind.x
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    Options
    hi Elaine, I used Fish Travel ins. Did it over the phone. They were really good. You do need to declare everything. Not everything increases your premium.
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi

Just been on one and they didnt have my condition just osteochondritis not osteochondritis dissecans and also not my fabulously auto immune disease, wait for it - idiopathic urticaria and angio edema!!! Try saying that after a few sherberts!!

Elainex
    salamander wrote:
    hi Elaine, I used Fish Travel ins. Did it over the phone. They were really good. You do need to declare everything. Not everything increases your premium.
  • Aprilann
    Aprilann Member Posts: 49
    Options
    Here is another travel insurance company you could try - AllClear.

We have always used them - I have a lot of medical problems. Been extremely satisfied.
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    We use world first as well ,no problem coving mr mig and he had by-pass surgery on legs.Mig
  • succotash
    succotash Member Posts: 83
    Options
    Insure and go are pretty good.

I have quite a few declarations when I book it through them. there are 5 of us and only one of us didnt have a medical condition to declare.

If you are taking 2 or less medications for each condition it is normal insurance price.
    3 or more then they charge you a bit more.

I am sure we only paid £8 extra for four people.

Last year I was waiting for surgery on my gallbladder. They insured me for everything else but if I had any gallbladder problems then they would not be insured, we still went on holiday despite the risks eeeekkk
    How come I'm over the hill and rapidly going down it, when I don't even recall reaching the summit?
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    hi Elaine
    we don't go abroad too much as it's too much hassle, but we did go to Barcelona three years ago for our 25th anniversary.
    we used Co-op travel insurance, as we booked a holiday through them. I think if I remember I had to pay about £15 extra for my holiday insurance.
    It is always best to declare everything that's wrong with you, because if you don't, and you needed hospital treatment abroad they wouldn't pay for you.
    good luck
    love Julie PF x
  • lavenderlady
    lavenderlady Member Posts: 409
    Options
    we had to get insurance for our last holiday in Decemeber our DR said declare everything and despite taking out the insurance way back in July for the dec holiday hubby had testicular cancer in Septemeber and we had to let them know about that despite being all clear they just said we will not insure you for that my numerous illnesses ment ages telling them everyuthing but it jumped from 2 kids 2 adults for £76 2 years ago to 2 adults £267 last year, my Dr put me on prozac to help me cope with the pain not because I was depressed and I had to point that out which kept the premium lower
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Thanks will try that one...!
    Aprilann wrote:
    Here is another travel insurance company you could try - AllClear.

We have always used them - I have a lot of medical problems. Been extremely satisfied.
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi

That was one that didnt have my condition or auto immune on it...

Elainex
    mig wrote:
    We use world first as well ,no problem coving mr mig and he had by-pass surgery on legs.Mig
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi

I take 2 lots of meds for auto immune but only painkillers for leg...I did try good old Go Compare and that came out at £29...

Elainex
    Insure and go are pretty good.

I have quite a few declarations when I book it through them. there are 5 of us and only one of us didnt have a medical condition to declare.

If you are taking 2 or less medications for each condition it is normal insurance price.
    3 or more then they charge you a bit more.

I am sure we only paid £8 extra for four people.

Last year I was waiting for surgery on my gallbladder. They insured me for everything else but if I had any gallbladder problems then they would not be insured, we still went on holiday despite the risks eeeekkk
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi Julie

Yeah i get where youre coming from guess i just think if have lasted this long wtih knee condition can it go wrong on holiday? Auto immune can be a bit random i guess but will declare..

Elainex
    julie47 wrote:
    hi Elaine
    we don't go abroad too much as it's too much hassle, but we did go to Barcelona three years ago for our 25th anniversary.
    we used Co-op travel insurance, as we booked a holiday through them. I think if I remember I had to pay about £15 extra for my holiday insurance.
    It is always best to declare everything that's wrong with you, because if you don't, and you needed hospital treatment abroad they wouldn't pay for you.
    good luck
    love Julie PF x
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi

Oh that sound very stressful! No wonder you ended up on Prozac....Its never straightforward is it?

Elainex
    we had to get insurance for our last holiday in Decemeber our DR said declare everything and despite taking out the insurance way back in July for the dec holiday hubby had testicular cancer in Septemeber and we had to let them know about that despite being all clear they just said we will not insure you for that my numerous illnesses ment ages telling them everyuthing but it jumped from 2 kids 2 adults for £76 2 years ago to 2 adults £267 last year, my Dr put me on prozac to help me cope with the pain not because I was depressed and I had to point that out which kept the premium lower
  • freesia
    freesia Member Posts: 409
    Options
    I've declared my OA in both knees to my travel insurance for my trip abroad, they go through aload of questions, but it only cost me another £10.... to get cover...

It's better to be upfront & truthfull, and get the proper cover, it would be awful if something did happen and you weren't covered and ended up with £100's if not £1000's of medical bills because your insurance did not pay up...

Enjoy your holiday xx
    hugs freesia xxx
  • DebraKelly
    DebraKelly Member Posts: 398
    Options
    I am going to Swizterland in Sept and got my travel insurance from M&S, one of the few companies that would cover RA.

Also had to get a letter from my doctor saying that I am carrying needles in my luggage! :o
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi Freesia

Yeah I will declare my little things i dont think its going to be as costly as once thought....I hope not to have any accidents on holiday..

Elainex
    freesia wrote:
    I've declared my OA in both knees to my travel insurance for my trip abroad, they go through aload of questions, but it only cost me another £10.... to get cover...

It's better to be upfront & truthfull, and get the proper cover, it would be awful if something did happen and you weren't covered and ended up with £100's if not £1000's of medical bills because your insurance did not pay up...

Enjoy your holiday xx
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi DK

Oh well I dont carry needles just loads of ointments for all me idiosyncricities!

Elainex
    DebraKelly wrote:
    I am going to Swizterland in Sept and got my travel insurance from M&S, one of the few companies that would cover RA.

Also had to get a letter from my doctor saying that I am carrying needles in my luggage! :o