To Pred or Not to Pred?

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 30. May 2012, 07:41 in Living with Arthritis archive
Morning all, I hope this lovely morning finds you all a darn sight better than me. I am on the final day of my anti-biotics, there's just one tablet left which will go down the hatch at about 2pm. The cough is kinda sorted which I guess is a good thing but it dawned on me this morning the difference between me on anti-bios last October (pretty good) and me on them now (pretty awful). No steroids. None. Nil. Zip. Nada. Nought. Curses.

I don't think I need another course of tablets, so I shall humira on Tuesday and meth on Thursday. I fully expect the cough to return as a result (I'll be pleased if it doesn't but who knows?) but I doubt the H&M will have kicked in sufficiently to get me through 'intact' on Saturday - our black tie dinner event. The PsA has reared its spectacularly ugly head, I'm wheezing gently, generally itchy and mood-wise very scratchy thanks to pain and feeling supremely grotty. My dilemma is this: do I pred on Saturday (either 15 or 20 mgs), then again on Sunday (another long day with our bestest friends) but halving the dose, then again on Monday, halving again, then nothing on Tuesday (as per usual) or do I forge on, ignoring the general grot as best I can and so not enjoy these events as much? Oh it's a grand life. Not.

I am quite proud of the fact that I have been pred-free since November but golden jubilees don't come along every year so this is a big week-end and I feel I need to be at my best, chemically-enhanced though that will be. It's going to take some stamina to get through Saturday, Sunday won't be so difficult as we will be at their house and I can keel over whenever I need, Monday and Tuesday are going to be spent at home so I can recover so I am telling myself that this is a sensible, not a retrograde, step. It's only for three days, I can come off them as I've done it before and they will make the difference. My name is DD and I am a predaholic.

If you have been thanks for reading. Replies are not required, this was purely an exercise in thought-clearing.
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    oh dear, my poor DD :( what a dilemma you have .

I am so very sorry that you are having such a lousy time at the moment and with such a special event coming up can understand why you want to take the ped.

It is really such a difficult decision and I am sat here thinking I want you to have a lovely time and so yes take the pred.
    Is there much difference between the tablet form steroid and the injection steroid? Kenalog (Forgive me for being dumb here) :oops: because I wouldn't think twice about going and having an injection if I was feeling so bad and a special occasion was coming up. :)

I wish you well in whatever decision you make.
    sorry I wasn't much help :(

Love Julie PF x
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    My thoughts are go with the pred it`s a once in a life time event,who will know it might never happen again.(((()))) Mig
  • deedeeitsme
    deedeeitsme Member Posts: 321
    Options
    Take the pred hun and enjoy your weekend. Why suffer more than you have to and we all deserve a good time occassionally x Dee x
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Thank you for your replies and yes, I guess I have accepted that this week-end deserves to be the best it can so pred here I come. I can't answer your question Julie, all I know is that the depos and joint steroids have never achieved what they could but the tablet form - yummy! Within hours I feel better, brighter and more able to live life and that is what I want for Saturday and Sunday. I'd better go and find them! I returned the majority to the chemist but I kept back some 5s and 2.5s just for this kind of reason. Who's a clever Daisygirl? :wink:
  • deedeeitsme
    deedeeitsme Member Posts: 321
    Options
    Glad you've decided to go with them DD....have a fantastic weekend x Dee x
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I found my stash, I am now sitting looking at them and wondering whether to indulge to a small extent. . . . . I am feeling very rough indeed but I am determined not to. I shall be working soon, then I shall toddle off to a neighbour's for a cuppa: that'll take my mind off sinning. :wink: DD
  • julie47
    Options
    just sending extra (((((((())))))))))

enjoy your copper with your neighbour :)

love Julie PF xx
  • julie47
    Options
    I meant cuppa :lol:

it's the Dragon :roll: :lol:

xx
  • mig
    Options
    Like a man in uniform :lol::lol: :oops: Mig
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Options
    Oh DD this is such a dilemma isn't it and I really feel for you. I'm not going to cloud the issue by adding my two penn'orth cos it sounds as if you have made your decision - and good for you I say! I really hope it does the usual for you and means that you can enjoy the weekend - I'm sure it will :D

Tillyxxx
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Ah Julie, I had neither a cuppa or a copper with my neighbour - 'im indoors sent a message saying he would be home an hour earlier, thus spoiling my plans. Typical bloke. :roll: :wink:

As for you young mig, I couldn't agree more! :)

Thanks tilly, it's lovely to hear from you and I appreciate your taking the time to reply. (()) DD
  • mig
    Options
    Thanks for the young Mig i can give you at least ten years. young mig
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    Just do it hun. And while you're at it, post me some likkle lovelies too :wink:
    You need and deserve to enjoy this wonderful occasion..
    I'll be on foreign soil but will don suitable attire of course..
    :wink:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • julie47
    Options
    morning dd

Hope today that you are feeling a little better and just sending some of these ((((((((((()))))))))))

Love Julie PF x
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    morning dd glad you have decided to use them to help you through the weekend but do not go to the dark side till you need to it takes you longer to kick them after but i know you have your head on straight and will do what best for you have great time val
    val
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Am I right in thinking there was a children's character called Grotbags? If there was then I am Grotbags Mark 2. I feel lousy. I am trying very hard NOT to pop a 2.5, I've altered the injection schedule and am busy telling myself that if I've got this far I can get further. And I will. Thank you for the hugs oh-speaking-one-in-Yorkshire, your gizmo is obviously getting used to you as you didn't send hags - or hogs!

Val? Cheers pal, as usual you brighten my day with your common sense and empathy. I'm off now to reply on your thread. Take care. DD
  • tjt6768
    Options
    wasn't Grotbags a witch :shock: :o
    I knew there was something magical about you lol

I'm still waiting for my pills to turn up in the post :?

Hope tomorrow brings a day full of joy, laughter, merriment, probably cider, wondrous things, messages from friends, a bucket of Yorkshire Blokey hugs and a purrs from a Great White Dope :wink:
    X
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    all i can think of about grot bags is strippy tights not every time i think of dd that is what i will think of .
    how is it going pal did you or didnt you that is the question hope you coping ok ((())) val
    val
  • emsjane
    emsjane Member Posts: 351
    Options
    DD, I know you've made your mind up, but I just wanted to say I agree with everyone, why suffer when u don't have to!? Take the meds over the weekend so u can have a good time!! :) enjoy the weekend x
    LOVE EMMA X
  • PatriciaH
    PatriciaH Member Posts: 77
    Options
    Have a lovely weekend DD - you sooooo deserve to have a nice time :)

Can't wait to hear all about it.

Love Patricia x
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Morning all, I hope you are doing as well as you can be. I am feeling a little better and rather than pop a steroid I've popped a diclofenac instead. I am going to take those over the next few days, I am about to do the meth and if the cough returns then that will tell me not to humira. You know what? It must be very tedious being a healthy person, you have no complicated decisions to make about what you do when and for how long - how boring. :wink: The steroids are still on the agenda, that is for sure.

My friend is coming round at 2pm to try putting some make-up on me. I am paler than a ghost at the moment, I look very tired and washed out so some artifice may be required for Saturday. This is going to be an odd experience as I usually don't bother with the stuff, I dislike the feel of it on my skin. Hey-ho, I guess every little helps - if I look better I might just feel better. DD
  • mig
    Options
    Morning DD,I only use eye make-up and a bit of lippy,dont like all that gung either.Have you decide how to decorate the crutchers? Mig
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Del mate, you are right on the money there! Plastering skills will most definitely be required! Mig, alas no, I haven't. I've been feeling too rough to go out and get stuff, but if I do pick up then I have plans for red, white and blue streamers, using crepe paper, staples and double-sided sticky tape. Failing that, just plain sticks will do! DD
  • tjt6768
    Options
    I'm sure that you will have a fantastic time hun.
    :wink: Slap our no slap.. I'm sure you will look great too
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    It must be very tedious being a healthy person, you have no complicated decisions to make about what you do when and for how long - how boring. :wink:

That's why they row the Atlantic in leaky boats, climb mountains without ropes and run marathons across deserts, DD. They crave the complexity that is bestowed on us freely and daily. Wassocks!

Now, about the polyfilla. I, too, ditched make-up with my teenage years. Couldn't stand feeling I was peering out behind a mask. However, I hope you have a good time this afternoon with your friend and not a few laughs - though, hopefully, the laughs won't be about how you look in the make up.

Can we have the before and after pics, please - but leave us to judge for ourselves which is which :wink:

(And have a great weekend.)
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright