Pimping my Crutches!

Options
Wonkylegs
Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
edited 30. May 2012, 12:40 in Living with Arthritis archive
HI all,

not been around the forum so much lately as having a horrid flare of both the RA and the Fibro. I think in part this is due to the weather as I don't do hot :roll:

I am finding the crutches both a help and a hindrance, as they help with my walking, but hurt my arms, but I'm thinking now that they might be a more permanent feature :roll: so i wanted to make them slightly better to look at!

I got out my nail varnishes and have started to paint little designs in different colours on the crutches. I can do as much or as little as I like at one go, and it makes me smile when I look at them, instead of feeling glum that I've got to use them! :D

I tried a small patch first, and found that normal nail varnish remover takes the varnish off fine, without any obvious problems, so if I go wrong (or change my mine about one bit) I should be able to remove it without a problem. I presume that since jewellers have previously advised me to paint the back of watches wiht nail varnish to stop my skin reacting to the metal, that the crutches should suffer no permanent effects. I suppose that I'm lucky in that these crutches are my own, rather than loaned to me.

One more thing ..... my hubby pointed out that if I use different colours all over them, I can make sure that I always co-ordinate with my nail colour (on the few occasions I paint them) and my outfits :lol:

Right .... must go and find some new colours ..... flowers today I think :wink:

wonky xxx

Comments

• freesia
    freesia Member Posts: 409
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    WOW - I was only discussing this with my husband yesterday...

I too seem to be coming to terms with maybe having to use my crutch longterm.... :cry:

And only yesterday - he suggested that maybe I should try and "JAZZ UP" my crutch and make it look abit more cheery...

What a brilliant idea using nail varishes, I will definately give it a go....
    Thanks for the tip.... Having a "down day today" so might cheer me up later......
    hugs freesia xxx
  • clanckyclara
    clanckyclara Member Posts: 32
    Options
    I simply love this idea. I had a few decorations on my stick - bells and feathers etc. It made me feel like some wise old healer rather than disabled middle aged. Unfortunately the dog ate my wooden stick so I've been on NHS standard grade for far too long. - it really does effect my mentality
    I am now inspired to get another stick and pimp it as a fashion accessory.
    Thanks.
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Options
    I did this to my zimmer and tri-walker. I bought some sequinned ribbon from the pound shop and a friend wound it round the frame for me. It just stops the dull old grey confronting me every time I have to use them.

Have fun jazzing yours up!!! :D
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Hi Wonky

you are doing well there, it's looking great :D

love Julie PF x
  • fowls48
    fowls48 Member Posts: 1,357
    Options
    Yes

My friend debs pimps her 3 wheel trolley thing each xmas it always makes me smile .

karen .
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    I don't know if you can post photos here I would LOVE to see! :) x
  • traluvie
    traluvie Member Posts: 2,579
    Options
    I have pimped mine up with stickers and gems, all of which can be got cheaply and easy to change if wanted.
    I am thinking of doing some designs with nail varnish too, would love to see some pics wonky...x
    th_tn_TisFORTIGGER.jpgxxTracyxx
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    good for you Wonks. And it's nice to see you around hun.

Don't go sniffing that varnish :shock: :shock: Lol
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Oh wow!
    I know we've had threads before about jazzing up wrist splints etc, but I hadn't realised there were so many of us :D Thanks so much for taking the time to reply.

So far I've made flowers by painting dots of colour around some of the adjusting holes - most of them are not used so I started with the ones between the forearm support and the handle ..... they look ok I think, and I decided not to have things identical on each crutch - actually it was my hubby who said that would make the crutches back into looking 'ordinary' and 'samey' so I thought I'd give it a go.

i'm not sure about the ins and outs of photo sharing, but I know a few people who do, so when i've set up this new WiFi router that has just arrived I'll finally be able to use my laptop more, and I will see about working out how to post a pic or two.

wonky xxx
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Good for you Wonky
    I did my crutches with hair bobbles.....they were only temp when I had my fracture pelvis and SI joint.....so thats ll I did but it make a difference.
    I have a 4 wheel rollator and have thought about doing something with that but not got round to it yet.

Love
    Hileena
  • zechariah
    zechariah Member Posts: 222
    edited 28. May 2012, 16:57
    Options
    I have used good old NHS crutches for about 10 years on and off and my hands and shoulders have paid the price for it.

So I decided that if I was to stop the damage getting worse and also to be rid of those awful beasts, I searched the internet for a solution and found {Link deleted} and despite the price I bought a pair.

They are designed by a motocross stunt rider who has suffered many injuries and hated the designs offered, the report so far is that they are way better and worth every penny

Post edited due to Breach of House Rule 2. The forum is not a shop so please don’t advertise or promote products and services on the forum in any wayModeratorIA
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    You can buy different coloured crutches (goggle ) My OH has pimped my ride (my 2nd wheelchair) with monster energy stickers they are bright green and stick out for miles! You can't miss me now!! It's good to be different, I've all ways thought that! So well done to everyone who's pimped their crutches,frames and wheelchair's! It takes away the stigma of having to use aids when disabled.
  • fowls48
    fowls48 Member Posts: 1,357
    Options
    Hi Wonky

You can get rather large eye lashes to fit on the headlamps of cars , wonder what they would look like on your crutches ? 8)
  • zechariah
    zechariah Member Posts: 222
    Options
    WHAT?

My link was removed as i didn't realize it was a breach and when i apologise that disappears!
  • rainbowjen
    rainbowjen Member Posts: 15
    Options
    The first year I had crutches I decorated them at Christmas as a dare, my little niece and nephew loved them, especially the battery operated fairy lights I wound round them ( I taped the small battery pack to the cuff with double sided sticky tape) and set on the flashing mode. My daughters just rolled their eyes! :D
    During the first summer, I made foam wrapped in a face flannel hand grips as the plastic is so uncomfortable, especially in hot weather - I had tried a foam shoe innersole first until a friend said she had thought it was an 'Always' !!! :oops: