Exercise

Options
jan50ish
jan50ish Member Posts: 47
edited 2. Jun 2012, 04:39 in Living with Arthritis archive
:D Hi all, on yet another warm sunny day.
I just wondered if any one has tried exercise DVDs, I have had a quick look around the net and there are a few about that sound promising . I can't do dancing stuff as I have unstable hips and prone to falling. When I was nursing I use to join in an exercise group run by the physios...the main part of the exercises done sitting down and a few using the chair for support. Anyone seen or tried a DVD with this type of routine. It would be good to hearing your opinion, thank you
Jan

Comments

• fowls48
    fowls48 Member Posts: 1,357
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Jan

Hope you are well , Maybe we should try making our own DVD ?

karen fowls
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    try ti chi one it controlled moves and strengthens joints good luck val
    val
  • zechariah
    zechariah Member Posts: 222
    Options
  • jan50ish
    Options
    Thanks for your replies....the thought of me demonstrating keep fit or whatever made me smile ! Ti chi and Yoga both seem like a good idea so will look out for that.
    I used to be very active, have never driven and did a great deal of walking out of necessity as well as for pleasure. As I said I was nursing for many years and had hoped to go back to nursing after having my hip replacements. My right THR went really well but the left was a bit of a disaster and I am left with a painful and unstable hip. I walk with crutches and use either a wheelchair or my beloved scooter when out. As a consquence of this i am struggling to keep my weight down and my other joints are also beginning to get stiff and painful. I thought it was time to get "fit" But there are so many DVDs out there, didn't really know where to start....but now I have a couple of ideas.
    I have posted on this forum a couple of times and read it regularly and you seem like a lovely bunch so I look forward to being a bit more involved with you if you will have me :D
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Of course we'll have you, don't be daft! :) I am 'curtailed' by the use of crutches and a four-wheeled walker for longer trips out, but I still do my post-synovectomy muscle exercises - and exercising does not necessarily mean a trip to the gym, wearing lycra and getting hot and sweaty. I am seriously considering a return to the toning tables, just to see how I get on with them. It's years since I used them, three operations within three years put paid to that, but now I reckon it migth be worth another go, just to see what I can manage. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    I've been looking in to pilates, it's a good way to get in shape and strengthen the muscles. I've been doing some serious research in to wether it's good or not so good for people with Arther, wether it could cause more damage to the muscles and joints. Proper research! And the conclusion is yes it is good for people with Arther, it can strengthen joints and muscles, it's safe to do as long as you start from the begining and read what it says and do each move properly. I have also ordered a good beginners DVD called 'pilates for lower back pain' because it's a smoother sort of pilates that will help with not just lower back but hips and legs. I've read all the reviews and it's the best DVD for people with injuries and disabilities. So I will see how I get on, my sister in law goes to pilates classes and will shadow me when I start to make sure I do things right. But unfortunatly my body decided yesterday to go into a 'flare up' and last night it was my hips,legs and back and this morning my hands and wrists have decided to join the party! Very pee'ed off cause I was already to start the pilates got all my gear and was in the zone! :x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    Ah your body twigged what you were about to do to it, bubbadog :lol: I hope the flare soon passes and you can get going. Please keep us updated. I've never tried pilates.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    I have never tried pilates either so would be interested to hear how it goes.
    My excercise consists of doing my pre and post THR exercises :oops:
    sometimes :oops:

Love
    Hileena
  • fowls48
    fowls48 Member Posts: 1,357
    Options
    be careful with pilates i hurt my knees just lifting my legs :(
  • jan50ish
    Options
    Thankyou for everyones ideas...given me food for thought. Hope you all sleep well...I am off to bed now. Goodnight

Jan
  • scozzie
    scozzie Member Posts: 333
    Options
    Hi all, mind if I but in? I did Pilates years ago when I had sciatica and it worked a treat ... Pilates works on your core muscles, not the big ones and improves (or should improve) your stability. I too would be interested in how it goes, as I keep meaning to get back to it, especially since my arthur has developed.

Good luck
    Scozzie
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    That's interesting, scozzie, because horse riding works on the core muscles too. Before I took it up I was always tweaking muscles in my back but never during my riding days.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright