Walk in Baths

Options
JuliaHod12
JuliaHod12 Member Posts: 456
edited 26. Apr 2013, 06:38 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi Guys

Does anyone have any experience of having one of these installed in the home?
Rough costs for a small bathroom?

FIL and MIL considering this as one prefers a shower in his 80s,has had 2 TKR and recent diagnosis of Dementia) and the other a bath.
They've had one company round (salesman! :-( ) who didnt even look at the bathroom, just asked for a £400 deposit to secure a survey!

I've said to get at least 3 quotes and not torush untilthey have done some prelim checks on the company they might finally go with.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be great!

Julia x

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,483
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Julia

I think they should get an assessment from the Ot at social services. Even if they have to foot the whole cost it would mean they weren't ripped off :?

Love

Toni xxx
  • fowls48
    fowls48 Member Posts: 1,357
    Options
    Hi Julia

My friends parents fought for a few years to get one of these baths .When the council finally fitted it in .They complained that they had to wait for the bathwater to empty before they could get out, and were getting cold . Sorry do not want to burst you bubble but maybe something to think over .

karen xx
  • lululu
    lululu Member Posts: 486
    Options
    I hope they consider very carefully before having one of these baths. Imagine sitting there in the nod waiting for the bath to fill up even for enough water to just wash your legs, it seems to take forever, and then having finally got enough water to bath you have to sit again in the now cold water in the nod waiting for the bath to empty enough to open the door to get out! Now imaging all this when in your 80's. There is no pleasure at all in these baths, if I had to use one I would never wash again ever. This is just my experience I used to live in a house that had one for someone with learning problems, lucky for me we also had a shower.
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Options
    Julia

I would get in touch with the OT department and then the council, often you can get grants if you are on certain incomes, etc....I guess its difficult when one wants to keep the bath but how often do they use it? I haven't had a bath for ages after getting stuck before my TKR....
    Hope you reach a good conclusion to this?

And...Good to see your name on here, how the heck are you doing?

Elainexx
    JuliaHod12 wrote:
    Hi Guys

Does anyone have any experience of having one of these installed in the home?
    Rough costs for a small bathroom?

FIL and MIL considering this as one prefers a shower in his 80s,has had 2 TKR and recent diagnosis of Dementia) and the other a bath.
    They've had one company round (salesman! :-( ) who didnt even look at the bathroom, just asked for a £400 deposit to secure a survey!

I've said to get at least 3 quotes and not torush untilthey have done some prelim checks on the company they might finally go with.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be great!

Julia x
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    They look great in the ads but then another thread on here pointed out the difficulties with having to wait for the water to drain out. But I suppose for some it is the only option.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,466
    Options
    We had a wet room installed for my father, a few months later the SS came round and said they could fit us a wet room....ddooooohhhhhhh! Could have saved £5000! By this time we had done everything, stairs, handles, you name it we did it, even an electric launch chair which they would have done for us.

The walk in baths may be walk in but you still have to get down and up to get out again, are you sure this can be achieved in a year or twos time? In the shower we have a seat and rails to assist. I doubt if there is much difference in cost between a shower and a bath fitting.

The safety hot water taps work well, but you never get a hot bath, they are always a few degrees cooler than you would like.