Is this SPAM or bonafide?

Options
lindalegs
lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
edited 12. Jun 2012, 06:17 in Community Chit-chat archive
I've just received this. How can I check that the email below is not SPAM without clicking the link? Does anyone know? I've not signed up for the International Movie Database website which is where it's come from.
    This is an automatic message from the Internet Movie Database (IMDb) registration system. Our system detected your password is too weak. Short passwords are easy to guess. Please follow this link :
(I've removed the link myself just in case)
If you use this password at any other sites, you'll need to change those passwords as well.
Regards,
IMDb User Protection help
(I've removed the link too just in case)

Would you click on it if you received it?
Love, Legs x
'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'

Comments

• daylily
    daylily Member Posts: 619
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Definately not.
    Anything that looks dodgy probably is dodgy.
  • phoenixoxo
    phoenixoxo Member Posts: 625
    Options
    Hi Linda,

I agree with daylily: I'd just delete it, as if you haven't signed up for IMDb it won't be relevant anyway, plus it could well be malicious.

Re. passwords, my younger brother, a techno whizz, reckons it's a bit risky to use the same one for more than one website and it's a good plan to change them every three months or so. A bit of a nuisance, but it'll keep the meddlers at bay!

Hope this helps!
    Phoebe
    PsA (psoriatic arthritis) and other things since 1990. Happy to help when I can :-)
  • lindalegs
    Options
    Thanks Daylily and Phoebe.

I don't change my passwords because I wouldn't remember them although I do have different passwords for different sites.

I've also received emails from Facebook and Twitter telling me there's something wrong with one of my posts ............I've blocked these as I'm not a member of either.

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    if you have a song you like use words from that first 2 or three for one then next for next one was on telly the other day
    val
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    If in doubt always zap 'em.

Incidentally, when choosing his first internet password, Mr SW was torn between the name of his wife and the name of his local. He decided it was imperative that he remembered it so plumped for the pub :roll:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    If you don't know who they are then delete. Simples. My passwords are usually backwards words and I do change them, I dunno why as I don't shop or bank on-line! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Linda
    Like the others I am suspicious of everything, good for you being cautious, they never give up trying ...so be aware.
    Love
    Barbara
  • lindalegs
    Options
    valval wrote:
    if you have a song you like use words from that first 2 or three for one then next for next one was on telly the other day

Good idea Val, I'll start doing that with my future passwords adding an asterisk of the occasional bracket. I do keep a book with them all in too ....I know I shouldn't :oops:

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
  • lindalegs
    Options

Incidentally, when choosing his first internet password, Mr SW was torn between the name of his wife and the name of his local. He decided it was imperative that he remembered it so plumped for the pub :roll:

:lol::lol::lol: You always make me laugh Sticky ............except when you have your serious hat on.

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
  • lindalegs
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    If you don't know who they are then delete. Simples. My passwords are usually backwards words and I do change them, I dunno why as I don't shop or bank on-line! DD

I've deleted Dreamdaisy and blocked the sender to be on the safe side.

Thanks.

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
  • lindalegs
    Options
    barbara12 wrote:
    Hi Linda
    Like the others I am suspicious of everything, good for you being cautious, they never give up trying ...so be aware.

Yes, Barbara, I think it's one that's classed as phishing ...well they can phish off somewhere else :shock: :wink:

Luv,
    Love, Legs x