I've never seen that before

Options
stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
edited 14. Jun 2012, 14:46 in Community Chit-chat archive
Two magpies stalking the dominant cat of the neighbourhood and seeing it off.

This cat and its sibling account for several birds and also terrify all cats. The maggies had clearly had enough. They pushed it up the - fairly long -garden. It slinked, slowly, as they do when losing, looking backwards from time to time to make sure they were still there. They were. At one point a couple of other magpies joined in. They whole thing could have been choreographed by any western director. They 'headed it off to the pass' ie the path between the house and the garden wall and just blocked its re-entry. Fascinating.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Gosh SW I would have liked to have seen that,maybe the magpies didnt want the cats getting the baby birds that they eat....I use to feed the magpies before I saw um stealing the baby's...now they have chased the cats off we need something to chase them.... :?
    Love
    Barbara
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    When I look at them they remind me of velocoraptors, you can see almost see the link between them and dinosaurs, they are nasty feckers and will nest raid song birds, they also have amazing eye sight and are very bright so are very hard to shoot. I've only ever shot one in my time and that was due to pure luck and the fact it wasn't looking my way.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    I know maggies have a reputation but I've never actually seen them at their dastardly deeds.

Round here, the collared doves can hold their own against all-comers.

We were once sitting outside when we heard a sound like a low flying light aircraft as a sparrow hawk zoomed just over our heads to grab a collared dove. Most of the dove escaped intact but I bet it felt quite chilly for a while.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    I haven't seen it before either sticky.

But I remember a colleague coming to work and saying that magpies kept attacking her Westie :(

Love Julie PF X

I have 2 baby goldfinches :P and a blue tit has started visiting. I am hoping it will see my birdhouse for next time they need a place to stay :D
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    Yes seen them chasing a dog and the squigles on the roof
    Colin
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE