Patriotism Up North

Options
elainebadknee
elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
edited 20. Jun 2012, 09:00 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi

I was born in Scotland, moved to kendal aged 11 am now 43....I like both countries and have just had holiday up in Inverness and couldnt get over how much anti royal/english they are up there..
Someone who used to be in the army, is now military police said he hated the queen, couldnt stand her and same re football team of England....This person is still based down south and ironically is marrying an englishwoman...
I dont get why there is so much animosity towards the english up there why hate so much? The footaball thing supposedly is cos english rub it in their faces for so long (1966)? I just know if scotland was in euros i would support them as will support Ireland also....
Together we are stronger, dont get the ill feeling and never will...

Elainex

Comments

• fowls48
    fowls48 Member Posts: 1,357
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Elaine

Yep sorry the Sweaty Socks hate us Brits , don't know why :?: its always been that way .

karen.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    To be fair to the Scots, I’ve had a son there – Edinburgh and the Borders – for years and neither he, his English wife nor we have experienced any anti-English feeling. On the contrary we’ve always found the Scottish people very warm and hospitable and that includes when we’ve been much further north – actually, right off the top bit. My niece lived in the west for many years and loved it. The only anti-English feelings I’ve heard reported were from some relatives who lived in Fife, an ancient fiefdom.

There are quite a lot of English people who are anti-monarchy and, when it comes to sport, I think we all work our ways outward ie local team above all, then regional, then country. Football loyalties run deep.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Karen

Well im scots and dont hate english, irish or welsh cant understand it..

Elainex
    fowls48 wrote:
    Hi Elaine

Yep sorry the Sweaty Socks hate us Brits , don't know why :?: its always been that way .

karen.
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    HI SW

I didnt say scottish people arent warm and of course i dont speak for the majority but I did experience a lot of derogatory comments that if had been a stoick english person then would have been quite offended...I just found it puzzling, particularly if you have served for Queen and country?
    Football is different with clubs but when it comes to countries we should all pull together...

Elainex
    To be fair to the Scots, I’ve had a son there – Edinburgh and the Borders – for years and neither he, his English wife nor we have experienced any anti-English feeling. On the contrary we’ve always found the Scottish people very warm and hospitable and that includes when we’ve been much further north – actually, right off the top bit. My niece lived in the west for many years and loved it. The only anti-English feelings I’ve heard reported were from some relatives who lived in Fife, an ancient fiefdom.

There are quite a lot of English people who are anti-monarchy and, when it comes to sport, I think we all work our ways outward ie local team above all, then regional, then country. Football loyalties run deep.
  • fowls48
    fowls48 Member Posts: 1,357
    Options
    Karen

Well im scots and dont hate english, irish or welsh cant understand it..

Elainex
    fowls48 wrote:
    Hi Elaine

karen.
    Hi Elaine i don't hate anyone either as long as people are nice its great , Its just one of those things that have been around before my time ?something i cannot answer its :( really .
  • lululu
    lululu Member Posts: 486
    Options
    I have lived and worked in Carlisle and worked with a lot of Scots in Carlisle and the only issue we had was that the Scottish people wanted the 2nd of January off work. They were working in England and accepting english money so had to work on 2nd January like all us English.
  • JuliaHod12
    JuliaHod12 Member Posts: 456
    Options
    Hi Elaine

Im a Scot too..........born in Glasgow, moved down south when i was 7, i'm now 52!

I think the dislike of the english is mainly directed at english "authority"
    rather than individuals!

Julia xx
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    I think you'll find that racism in all it's ugly forms exists wherever you happen to live.... that link is appalling, biased and inflammatory

iris
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    I also agree that link has racist comets even if the post doesn't.
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi

Well can see why cos are far as our family was concerned in our area where used to live and where two sisters live...Hogmanay was celebrated a lot more so they would need more time recover!

Elainex
    lululu wrote:
    I have lived and worked in Carlisle and worked with a lot of Scots in Carlisle and the only issue we had was that the Scottish people wanted the 2nd of January off work. They were working in England and accepting english money so had to work on 2nd January like all us English.
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi Julia

Ah so youre similar to me then really in terms of how long you have lived more in one country? One fact I was told and cojuldnt believe was that there are about £3-4million in Scotland compared to £64million, can that be true, I didnt think so but not checked it out yet?

Elaienx
    JuliaHod12 wrote:
    Hi Elaine

Im a Scot too..........born in Glasgow, moved down south when i was 7, i'm now 52!

I think the dislike of the english is mainly directed at english "authority"
    rather than individuals!

Julia xx
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    I obviously dont know what this link contained but not sure why someone would wish to post an item to be an irritant...It wasnt my intention in my initial post certainly and was only raising what I saw as topical debate..

Elainex
    delboy wrote:
    There's lots of anecdotal evidence to support the fact that a lot of the Scots dislike the English, here's one persons view [link deleted because of racist comments and bad language]

Edited by Moderator 14/6/12
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Iris

I had nothing to do with above link and sorry it has upset you......Disagree with racism in any form too..

Elainex
    dorcas wrote:
    I think you'll find that racism in all it's ugly forms exists wherever you happen to live.... that link is appalling, biased and inflammatory

iris
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Skeizer

Sorry above has upset you and as it was my post in first place can only apologise...I hate racism of any kind.

Elainex
    skezier wrote:
    I also agree that link has racist comets even if the post doesn't.
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    I guess this goes to prove we all have to be very careful after all this is public domain...

Elainex

delboy wrote:
    The link was purely to show how one person felt and is publicly available and was not intended to agitate.

Was the link the cause of the topic being pulled? If so then surely deleting the link was all that was needed as has been done.

Glad to see the topic back.
  • diamond
    diamond Member Posts: 396
    Options
    Totally agree with Iris and Skezier.
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    I know lots of Jocks never had a problem with them
    Colin
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Colin

I dont know you well enough to know whether youre serious or not but that term isnt exactly helpful, dont like it...

Elainex
    Colin1 wrote:
    I know lots of Jocks never had a problem with them
    Colin
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Tody

Alex Ferguson is not a good example he had a hissy fit then refused to do any interviews with the beeb....I mean if we are going to go down that route the royal correspondent, Charles hates him and was overheard cursing him too..
    I dont think wherever you come from makes you different, people are individuals and you will get oddities any place, town or country...As said before i was born in scotland came here age 10.5 now 43, I had to adjust but doesnt any kid?
    What I experienced on hols was needless i thought and it puzzled me very much..

Elainex
    Tody wrote:
    I've had my observations on the Scots and I don't think what you refer to as patriotism is actually patriotism - in my opinion it's some sort of aloofness.

Currently my opinion is divided because I know Scots who are talkative and friendly but my gut feeling is that they are very...different people.

I mean, just look at this guy Alex Ferguson - he didn't speak to the BBC because he hated them for something, it is hardly sportmanship on his behalf. He had a fight with David Beckham didn't he?

It's just one example.
  • earthspirit
    earthspirit Bots Posts: 278
    Options
    ok i wont go into a very long rant here but i am going to comment.

im aberdonian and lived in london from my mid 20s until i came back to scotland to look after my mum who had heart bypass and then got dx with RA where i needed to stay to actually get looked after.

2 of my kids were born in england and when they came to live here they got so much crap for being "english" to the point that my son got attacked by a group of stupid little boys. (polite words for the purpose of this forum)

i have had to, on multiple instances had to speak out against my fellow scots on narrow minded bigotry which i myself never experienced in reverse while living in england.

i am disgusted by some of the pig ignorant comments that are made towards some people and do speak up, cos in my view it shows complete and utter ignorance and is embarrasing to me as a proud scot who likes to think i come from a forward thinking nation.

i have seen far more acceptance of the immigrants who come here, get free health care, free education and get houses intended for British people and am shocked at some attitudes i have encountered back home.

whether you want to be british scottish or england we are brothers and sisters and the really stupid bit is, we are probably a jumble of all the british nations unless we have done a dna check.

i do not support england in football etc as hey they are the old enemy but that is as far as i go and its just in jest.

i feel very very strongly about this subject but am not putting too much of what i really think on here for fear of inflaming.

i have many loyal english friends who are my real true friends and would be horrified if they could hear some of the things said in loud whispers on almost a daily basis. i see myself as scottish first but i am part of a gang who are british and my fellow friends and countrymen.

if people put british first and stopped all the bickering our country might not be in the mess it is today with immigration

now i will shut up lol
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    My friend had the same problem when visiting Northern Ireland. She was shocked at the comments she heard muttered about the English within earshot. I also had a friend kicked out of a pub last summer for being a different colour to the rest of the pub customers and staff-in Brighton of all places!

I have to agree with Earthspirit. As a nation we are a mixture of all sorts and it helps if we all learn to live together. We see enough horror on the news of the consequences of divided nations.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Earthspirit

I know all about being a kid from somewhere new..When we moved here id get it all the time at school and out playing at home being called haggis, och aye the noo and all that (much nastier too but cant put on here)...One day id had enough and some girl went one stage too far and i walked up to her and gave her a good hard slap across her face...It ensued in her screaming home, her dad talking to mine but id endured 3plus years of this and it was the proverbial straw!!
    Like you im scottish but im british too more importantly and hate bigotry...

Elainex
    ok i wont go into a very long rant here but i am going to comment.

im aberdonian and lived in london from my mid 20s until i came back to scotland to look after my mum who had heart bypass and then got dx with RA where i needed to stay to actually get looked after.

2 of my kids were born in england and when they came to live here they got so much crap for being "english" to the point that my son got attacked by a group of stupid little boys. (polite words for the purpose of this forum)

i have had to, on multiple instances had to speak out against my fellow scots on narrow minded bigotry which i myself never experienced in reverse while living in england.

i am disgusted by some of the pig ignorant comments that are made towards some people and do speak up, cos in my view it shows complete and utter ignorance and is embarrasing to me as a proud scot who likes to think i come from a forward thinking nation.

i have seen far more acceptance of the immigrants who come here, get free health care, free education and get houses intended for British people and am shocked at some attitudes i have encountered back home.

whether you want to be british scottish or england we are brothers and sisters and the really stupid bit is, we are probably a jumble of all the british nations unless we have done a dna check.

i do not support england in football etc as hey they are the old enemy but that is as far as i go and its just in jest.

i feel very very strongly about this subject but am not putting too much of what i really think on here for fear of inflaming.

i have many loyal english friends who are my real true friends and would be horrified if they could hear some of the things said in loud whispers on almost a daily basis. i see myself as scottish first but i am part of a gang who are british and my fellow friends and countrymen.

if people put british first and stopped all the bickering our country might not be in the mess it is today with immigration

now i will shut up lol