Rag and bone man

Options
julie47
julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
edited 20. Jun 2012, 13:05 in Community Chit-chat archive
gosh! Do you remember when you were a child a rag and bone man used to come down your street with his little cart?

Well! I have just heard a rag and bone man come down our street but he wasn't wearing rags and he wasn't skin and bone. :shock: AND
He was shouting out of the little white van window :lol:

must get me a trailer for my scooter and get out there :lol:

Julie PF X

Comments

• marrianne
    marrianne Member Posts: 1,161
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Julie, We still have a rag and bone man ,he plays the steptoe/son music everyday,his only problem is he goes to fast never caught him yet with my old bits and pieces.Marrianne :)
    http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/forums/posting.php?mode=reply&f=12&t=32941#
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Julie I remember them well, I used to love it when I heard them shouting in the street, they use to give out toys for clothes but I remember they had to be woollens...gosh Im showing mi age here......I also remember getting a goldfish like they gave at the fair...and my mum made me give it back... :roll: There was money to be made then...but I think today they want scrap iron....
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,447
    Options
    Think we live in a rough area Julie

we have them several times a week :roll:

Except when you have a freezer, which needs disposing of :roll:

Love

Toni xxx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,447
    Options
    I think they may be the same vans :shock:

That BUGLE!!!

Toni xx
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    Yep always around up these parts
    Colin
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • Melrymax
    Melrymax Member Posts: 226
    Options
    Well I never knew that is what the rag and bone man used to be!!! Our rag and bone man is a a couple of travellers in a white pick up van with a mega phone shouting scrap metal, collecting scrap metal! I really do not appreciate it when I am on nights!
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    There was always money in tat but nowdays your rags are worth a lot of money. round our way we have unwanted clothing shops ( rag shops ) opening up.
    Colin
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • mouseymousey
    mouseymousey Member Posts: 283
    Options
    Yes, we have one that now comes round on a weekly basis. Obviously a lot of money in scrap now. The council now keen to take away any old clothes (money in that too). As soon as the price goes down, so will the collections.
    Knee deep in those put your old clothes in here bags too.
    In about 1/2 a mile we now have x3 charity shops, such is life in the C21.
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Where we live (this is no lie!) we get 3 rag & bone (Old Iron) a day everyday all 7 days a week!!
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    When I was little the family next door were the 'posh' family in the street. Between them, the father and two sons had a Bentley, an MG sports car and some big saloon, at a time when most of us didn't have any car at all. The father had started off as a rag and bone man with a cart.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • julie47
    Options
    I have spied 2 vans that have been down here , laden with scrap metal.
    I will have to keep an eye on my scooter :wink: as it is often parked at the front door :o

The old rag and bone man was very friendly, as i remember , and we often walked at the side of him while he was on our street :) shouting along with him.
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    I think I'd chain the scooter, they've been known to take things that they know aren't scrap..
    My friend had a washing machine delivered, she was just throwing the packaging away round the back, when she returned to the side door where the new washer was there were two of em trying to lug it down the path to the van :shock:
    They played dumb and said they hadn't realised, yeah right :?
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • julie47
    Options
    tjt6768 wrote:
    I think I'd chain the scooter, they've been known to take things that they know aren't scrap..
    My friend had a washing machine delivered, she was just throwing the packaging away round the back, when she returned to the side door where the new washer was there were two of em trying to lug it down the path to the van :shock:
    They played dumb and said they hadn't realised, yeah right :?

oh blimey, Tony thats awful. :o lucky that she saw them and was able to stop them, and more to the point that they gave it back.

juliepf x
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    When i was a kid :shock: our rag and bone used to trade rags for goldfish.Mig
  • lancslass43
    lancslass43 Member Posts: 20
    Options
    I remember the rag tatter coming round and there was also a 'rag shop' up the street. My mum used to sort old clothes out when she didn't have enough money to buy food and we took them in to be weighed in for a few coppers. I look back on this as a happy memory but it can't have been much fun my parents.
    lancslass
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Weighing clothes for cash is coming back, lancslass. We have a couple of outlets in our town where you can take your old clobber and they pay you about 50p per kilo. I no longer donate to the bags that plop through the letterbox on a regular basis (unless its GOSH) and I haven't used these outlets either. I take our stuff to the local hospice shop. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Mine go to local cancer charity shop,they help support the hospice that looked after my brother and sister.Mig