unwanted phone calls

Options
mig
mig Member Posts: 7,154
edited 22. Jul 2012, 10:03 in Community Chit-chat archive
So 4 times today and yesterday we had calls from some body on about ppi,just automated message,we do have telephone preference but they seem to get thru anyone got any ideas to get rid of them? Mig

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,453
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Ditto Mig :x

Grrrr!!!

Makes me mad either that or to offer me free loft insulation :?

Love

toni xxx
  • marrianne
    marrianne Member Posts: 1,161
    Options
    Double Ditto,Mig and Toni,Its been happening for about 12 mths I think it just has to run its course.Marrianne :) oh tip it tends to be 8 rings around lunch time and tea time I never answer
  • freesia
    freesia Member Posts: 409
    Options
    Arghhhhh - we get them too at home and at work.....!!!

They get hold of your numbers by using old (sometimes sold) phone lists and phone books... and sometimes when they are desperate the electoral role...
    Some companies also do "automatic" dialling and literaly phone a whole batch of number sequencially....

Annoying I know but there is basicly not a lot we can do about it.... :cry: except don't answer if you don't recognise the number...
    hugs freesia xxx
  • JuliaHod12
    JuliaHod12 Member Posts: 456
    Options
    when they ring i dont say anything.............leave the call chunterring away and go off to make a cuppa.............leave it for about ten minutes then hang up! Their costs not mine :-)
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    On the last one we put the receiver next to the tv ,turned the sound up and let them listern to noel edmonds! Mig
  • Melrymax
    Melrymax Member Posts: 226
    Options
    In the past week I have had several calls from consumer lifestyles... What ever that is and legal and general life insurance. The best is..."the purpose of this call is not to try and sell you anything...blah blah blah...... So would you be interested in this at a small fee?" pmsl!
  • MrDJ
    MrDJ Member Posts: 281
    Options
    getting them all the time now.
    i have to laugh as most are called john smith from call centre in mumbai. even with bt call centre its the same.

lately im getting your computer is infected with a dangerous virus and i am here to help you. all you have to do is give them permission to access your computer remotely and then you are buggered.

it seems ive also had 4 accidents in the last 2 years that these people are so willing to help me win my case but of course with a 45% commission if they win (but they dont tell you that bit)

ive belong to that tps monitor but even they say now that so many are getting past them. the only way you can get these people to stop is to stay on the line with them and play along and get as much information as possible ie company phone number and name and address ,persons name who is calling you etc etc and then pass this onto tps.
  • ichabod6
    ichabod6 Member Posts: 843
    Options
    Take the call but give them a lengthy and
    Untrue load of **** and at the crucial moment
    Lose your memory.
  • marrianne
    marrianne Member Posts: 1,161
    Options
    rehab44 wrote:
    Convo with Indian lad called Anthony after he had informed me that there was a irus on my pc.

rehab, in a shocked voice,oh no! a virus, what should i do?

Anthony, (gleeful voice)Ok Sir dont worry I can fix that from here

Rehab, oh yes please...

Anthony, right sir, i need to access yur computer, i want you to go to start and type in the following line....

Rehab....wait.. where is the start button? ( and so the game begins

Anthony, its at the bottom left of the screen Sir...............Oh dear this is very funny but so very true even now 3 years on .......I am still a complete computor ludite my best moment was ringing up because I couldnt find my curser......Marrianne :)

Rehab, no, there is nothing there

Anthony, are you sure sir, maybe your task bar is at the top or the side of your screen..the start button?

Rehab, mmmm nooooo nothing mate,

Anthont..(frustrated voice) what is on your screen sir?

Rehab, I told you Anthony nothing...

Anthony, Is your computer switched on Sir...?

Rehab, Oh it has to be switched on?

Anthony, yes sir, can you switch it on now please?

Rehab, is that with the start button?

Anthony (really frustrated) no sir with your on off button?

rehab, Wheres that then?

click

Just as I was starting to enjoy myself :D
  • MrDJ
    MrDJ Member Posts: 281
    Options
    im going to copy that down. love it :lol:
  • diamond
    diamond Member Posts: 396
    Options
    I am also registered with telephone preferance service but still get calls.It is just a nuisance and gets me so annoyed sometimes.Have recently been lifting phone but saying nothing letting them say hello hello they then get annoyed and hang up,now they know how i feel.
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    i always tell these people ill get me mum and just leave them hanging on

Colin
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • only49
    only49 Member Posts: 1,207
    Options
    hi some of you will remember me i am one that dont post very often unless there is something i can help with.

anyway get a call blocker i had same trouble and had enough, phone company wont help. so i got one of those things and its bliss quiet now,
    the power of pressing the block now button keeps them away.

pm me if you want to know which i got, it even stops international ones that are the most anoying.
    sylvia :)stern02.gif
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    At the 'White House!' we get on average 15 cold calls a week and we have that block on the phone to stop cold calls getting through!! Proves what a waste of time having that on your phone!! So we have all our friends & family set on the phone's address book so when the phone rings it says who's calling. And if we're dealing with a company regarding something we order or a holiday we write the phone number and leave it by the phone. So if it isn't a number we know of we don't answer it and let it go to answerphone!
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,453
    Options
    I have to Bubba

Incase it's school ringing to tell me something is wrong with one of the kids....two of them have health needs.

Sylvia I am interested in the black box - what does it do?

Love

Toni xxx
  • loopyladye
    loopyladye Member Posts: 5
    Options
    rehab..love your little game.. might try that myself.... i used to get these calls alot but they tend to find my aggresive manner ie. i dont want to tell you how i am it is non of your buisness' , rude... the virus scam was tried only last week and the bloke would not listen to me that i had had someone out that day to look over my computers ( i hadn't really) so a couple of minutes after i hung up i got a call from his supervisor asking why i had used such language to his staff, i was explaining that the bloke would not listen when i was asked ' are you a man or a woman your voice is confusing me' needless to say the call did not last much longer and they have not called again.....
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    Ye Gods is rehabs ghost on here now then, and if it is where's del's!?. :shock:
    Anyway I get these f****n calls with an 0845 prefix they will stop soon as they're due to the banks miss selling insurance and the cut of date is soon so once that's gone they will stop, what's the betting we get different ambulance chasing calls though?.
    As for cold callers that are human and not a robot when they ask are you the house owner I simply tell them on I rent it that shuts them up. And Mr DJ I just love tha kitten with the headphones.
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    All that can be heard is the sound of wind blowing and the rustle of tumble weeds as they blow across the deserted dusty savannah. :lol:
  • only49
    Options
    hi frogmorton

it plugs into the base bit of your phone and then the other end of the cable into the tel 1 port and then the cable you took out of the underneath of your phone you put that in line 1 on the other side of the blocker and follow the instructions and follow the instructions and programe the codes in it that they give in the book, and hey presto a quite life.

it works for me, you can buy them on a####n.

it does work i didnt think it would but it does, why cant our phone providers do the same for us.
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Is it truecall sylvia. I did put up the link then removed it as I thought better not post a direct link to a product.

E x
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • only49
    Options
    hi tkachev i sent you a pm