Bats in the belfry!

Options
tillytop
tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
edited 14. Jun 2012, 11:53 in Community Chit-chat archive
Just wanted to share what I think is exciting news - we have bats roosting in the eves of our house! I LOVE bats and feel very pleased they have chosen our roof to make their home :lol: I first noticed them the other evening when I saw them appearing along the side of the house one after another and then noticed they were coming out from between the house wall and the wooden boards under the roof. Counted about 25 before I got a crick in the neck from looking upwards :roll: so I don't know how many there are there in total. Being a practical soul, Mr Tilly was up in the loft the next morning to make sure they weren't actually inside the loft space (would have been a problem if they were cos I think they are a protected species and you can't relocate them) but luckily there was no sign of them there. So now, every evening about 9, I am outside, peering upwards waiting for them to appear. A couple of days ago I was a bit too early I think cos I ddin't see them but I could hear them all scrabbling and squeaking. I have no idea what sort they are so long as they are not vampire bats :shock: So now, when Mr Tilly tells me I have "bats in the belfry" he is absolutely right :lol:

Tillyxxx

Comments

• marrianne
    marrianne Member Posts: 1,161
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    This is......... lovely Tilly , but you cant do what you want apparently ...Marrianne :)
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,447
    Options
    Tilly :D

how lovely - are they very wee? Might be pipistrels (something like that) and there are 'bat people' who like to know where they are. I know this because i found a dead one once and had to report it :(

When we went to the Maldives we had an outside shower/bath - at night you could see them flying while in the bath room!

m0220.gif

love

Toni xxx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    You like bats? :shock: They alarm me but I am pleased that you are pleased. Here's to happy bat-watching for Tilly! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Options
    Toni - love the picture! They might well be pipistrelles (however you spell it :lol: ) cos they are very tiny. Now you come to mention it I read somewhere about a bat conservation organisation - might do some web searching to see what I can find. Much as I like them tho I don't thnk I would like them close to me while I was in the shower like you had in the Maldives :shock:

DD - why do bats alarm you?

Dell - wonder where yours went to?

Marianne - I think you are right about that - I remember reading about a problem some housing developer was having because they wanted to convert an old building and weren't allowed to relocate the bat colony.

There is a poem by DH Lawrence about bats and he describes them as having "wings like bits of umbrella" and I think that it is a brilliant description.

Tillyxxx