smelly cat update

Options
katknapp
katknapp Member Posts: 709
edited 20. Jun 2012, 07:47 in Community Chit-chat archive
i dont know if any of you remember me posting about my cat and his extremly bad breath? well we took him to the vets and he had an infection and he had to have 12 teeth removed bless him,also sadly hes in kidney failure :( , he lost quite a bit of wieght with the infection,Hes now eating quite happily but not gaining wieght :(

Comments

• Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    looks like he might be getting better, good luck
    Colin
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • katknapp
    Options
    it was lovely to be able to stroke him without a gas mask lol,harry could clear a room when he yawned! its worrying me that hes not gaining wieght though,someone suggested giving him kittens milk?
  • mouseymousey
    mouseymousey Member Posts: 283
    Options
    You may need to mash his food up a bit for him. Some of mine have lost teeth too and really appreciate their food being mashed up for them. Try him on pilchards in tomato (yes tomato) sauce; very few can resist that. If all else fails take him back to the vet, the poor chap may have something else that needs looking at.
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    oh hun. I was just about to log off when I saw this..
    I really hope he's ok, as has been said, try mushing his food up.
    Ra is sending healing vibes, also posting him one of his very magical whiskers, they have healing powers... Just don't let the Chinese find out you have one, they've been trying to gery hold of one of Ra's whiskers to power their nuclear plant...

Best wishes to you both from us both :D

Hope you're ok too, it's good to see you around..
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    Hi Kat
    Like your cat, mine had to have several teeth extracted and the rest cleaned recently. The vet took a blood test which showed that my cat has kidney failure too, which I would never have suspected. My cat now has to be on medication and a special low-protein/low-phosphorus diet for the rest of his life. I wonder whether this has been recommended for your cat? I was told not to give him any ordinary cat food or anything high in protein in future as his kidneys aren't functioning properly ( only working at 25% ) The special renal food is available at the vets, and although it's a bit expensive, I hope that it will help to prolong my cat's life. Cats with kidney failure do tend to lose weight, but mine is doing well on the special diet and pills from the vet. Kitten milk and pilchards are very high-protein, so probably not helpful for your cat's condition.
    Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • suncatcher
    suncatcher Member Posts: 2,174
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your cat. :( I wonder if skeizer will come on to give you advice she is good with cats. x Joanne
    Joanne
  • katknapp
    Options
    Hi all, Hes eating his food and im mashing it up,but it just seems hes not regaining the weight he lost,i couldnt get a direct answer from my vets they didnt tell me how bad it is? all they said was he is showing signs of kidney failure and then went into a very pushy sales pitch for there special food,at £8 a pack i would need two packs a week and i really just cant afford that :( as it was harrys vet bill was £600 :shock: ive given him fish a couple of times a week which he loves,someone suggested kittens milk??

Thank you tony i have Ra's migac whisker,the parcel did look as though it had been tampered with though and theres a strange china man hanging around the corner but dont worry ive hidden it in an underground chamber with lots of boobie traps!! :lol:
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Hi Kat, I saw this and nearly passed by with all the upset I've had over the 10 days but then thought I couldn't let someone else go through what I've been through. Right, Bubba had to have 12 teeth out when he was younger he had Ginger vitus (Bad gums, bad breath & rotten teeth). And yes I had too mash his food for him, but don't be surprised when he's feeling alot better he will find a way to eat his fav food with the teeth he's got left. Beauty loved those long cat stick treats and I had to break them up in to small pieces and hand feed them to him. If you don't yet to get closer to your cat hand feed him treats he likes. you will enjoy it!
    As for kidney failure, I'm afraid that's the main thing that goes 1st, Bubba had a pain injection every fortnight to help with the kidney, they can carry on a normal life with kidney trouble, that just tells you there becoming an old man/woman. But please what ever you do, DON'T feed your cat milk! you can give them cat milk but only as a treat now and again. Stick to good ol water. Give them a good fuss! I miss Bubba every hour of everyday, he was my baby, my companion as well as my cat and my pet.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,425
    Options
    Hi Katnapp

You can but the kidney diet online cheaper and i woudl recommend it.

My Eric Catona died of kidney failure :( We did use the food, but he wouldn't eat it. he was on water tablets and some other tablets too. Salt I think is the main dangerous thing with kidney failure...maybe you can feed him plain chicken you cook yourself?? I also got him a water fountain to make sure he drank plenty :)

I am so sorry Katnapp, but am sending him lots of love and luck for a speedy recovery. Some cats do live to a ripe old age with it so fingers crossed.

Love

Toni xx
  • tjt6768
    Options
    don't worry Katt.. I'm preparing a special ops team to neutralize the Chinaman.
    This will consist of myself, Mellman, Del and Rehab(still with us in spirit)
    We will be dressed as ninjas and move silently like the wind PARRRP.... No Mell, not THAT kind of wind :shock:
    Just know my dear Katt, that your Chinaman problem is being dealt with by the very best :? :lol:
    Hope the little fella is on the mend.. :wink: Ra has had a leaky heart valve all his life and is seventeen next.. I've everything crossed for him hun
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • katknapp
    Options
    No its ok Tony! they have kidnapped my Husband and wont give him back until i hand over the whisker......ive put the whisker in a safe as i will be keeping it for a long time lol!

Some people might think its funny to get so upset over a cat,but they are part of the family,Harry lays with me when im in bed in pain,17 is a very good age my other cat sam lived till 18 and then it was cancer that got him :(
  • tjt6768
    Options
    I struggle to get the fat lad off me sometimes lol
    He must have known that my stomach was bad today, he insisted on laying right on it.. Typical..
    Hey, it ain't silly hun.. They really are part of the family. It still hurts losing Cleo.. Really miss her, she was very special to me.. Fat lad is too of course haha..
    Xx
    As for the Chinese and your hubby, good call.. Them whiskers are extremely rare heehee :wink:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Kat, It's not silly to love and care for your Harry it means your a great cat lover and you love and care for him as a part of your family. I loved Bubba with all my hart and he was a member of our family, he had his own bedroom where his fav bed was so he could sleep with no noise to distrub him. And the last 2 weeks of his life he jumped on my OH & my lap and curled up and went to sleep! He had never done that in all his long life!! That is a memory myself & my OH will tresure with us all ways, we both still miss Bubba dearly and will love him for the rest of our lives. Give Harry a big fuss from me, and if you ever want any advise or any questions answered if I can help you I will just PM me!