what dog?

Options
julie47
julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
edited 24. Jun 2012, 11:21 in Community Chit-chat archive
yesterday my OH and I went to the national dogs trust to look for a dog for me.
I have filled out a form which they read, but unfortunately they didn't think they had a dog suitable for me at that moment. I did look around and they were quite right.

My question to you, for those of you who have dogs, is what do you think would be a good breed for me.

I did do a quiz on the internet and a dog I remember that was suggested for me , it was at cairn terrier.(Does anyone have one of these?)

I want to be able to walk the dog while I am on my scooter
I am also a wheelchair user in the home.
We have a nice little garden for it to run in.
I want a dog that is easy to train.
That doesn't shed lots of fur
that would be a good companion
that is medium-size
and doesn't yap all the time

Do you think a puppy would be a good idea?
Or a dog that is a bit older?

I am in a dilemma

has anyone got any suggestions please?

Thank you
Love Julie PF x

Comments

• georgie66
    georgie66 Member Posts: 403
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    julie
    a Lhasa Apso would be good for you .
    it dose not shed its fur
    dosen't need a lot of exercise
    good breed and a small dog..
    and not a yappie dog..
    it a quieter type of dog
    terrier breeds can be yappie dogs..

you can always look for a rescue dog of all breeds..

i have a Lhasa Apso goes everywhere with me i do walk with two crutches and he plods along beside me..
    they make a great little companion..

but i am sure you will get many choices on here..
    good luck with what ever you choose,
    georgie.
  • Avrielle
    Avrielle Member Posts: 182
    Options
    I'm not sure about breeds, but I certainly suggest an older dog, not a pup. Pups are not ready trained and training any sort of dog can be a task, especially if you have mobility problems. Think of having to take it out every hour to housetrain it, and dealing with mess and dealing with it if it chews something up, like pups do. When it gets past the 'awww cute' puppy phase, it becomes a rebelling teenager. Even a small dog can run loops around you if you aren't 100% in controll and dominant, and a dog will learn quickly what you can and can't to and may take advantage of that.

An older dog makes a far better companion. Pups are for those prepared for a long road ahead of training and working with it.

And you can teach an old dog new tricks. It just takes a bit longer if they are set in their ways.

There is also the matter of whether to get a dog or a bitch. Personally I find that I take to **** far better than male dogs. Some say there is no difference, except a bitch will go in to heat, or 'ghost' heat if she has been spayed, but I find **** far more docile and easier to control and be close partners than male dogs, espesh when a male dog has not been neutered which is a lot less common that being spayed. But a neutered dog will become sluggish and gain weight.

Worth a think about anyway.
    Life is just a ride. Up and down, round and around, thrills and chills, very brightly coloured and very loud. But don't ever be afraid, because it is just a ride.
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Options
    I would suggest avoiding a puppy as you don't want to be bending down to clean up after him or her while house training ! I literally told dogs trust what we needed to the letter . House trained , gentle , friendly , good with dogs , cats and children , able to walk beside a wheelchair , small to medium size . Luckily they found exactly what I wanted in 2 days ; Betsy is obedient and has a sweet temperament , she's staffy and collie crossed and has the best of both breeds . I would suggest that a heinz 57 is better than a pedigree as they're often fitter and less nervy . Good luck with whatever you " adopt " , our dog has really enriched our lives . Jillyb
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I'm no expert but I too would go for an older dog as I doubt you could cope with the rushing around, the chewing of stuff and the mess, let's face it you already have the OH doing all that. :wink: Something sedate, friendly and not too energetic would seem to be ideal. Dunno what tho. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Julie,

Depends on the terrier.... some need a lot of exercise and tend to be highly stung.

I think a nice mutt from a rescue and will find you some numbers.... That bit I can do as there are a lot of independent rescues and all are bursting to the seams... sadly mostly with staffie and staffie crosses and those may not be the best for you just now.

The laps and the other dogs like them might be a good plan but they do need grooming and also trimming.

A pup might also be a problem and older ones are (hopefully) already trained. Hey would you like Slipper Boy Haz?

I will try and catch my mate tonight or else email her. Love and a ((((( ))))) Cris xx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    A wind-up, clockwork one? :lol:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • fowls48
    fowls48 Member Posts: 1,357
    Options
    I have 2 pommeranians they are brothers they are chalk and cheese one is a terror and the other cuddly .I suggest if you can wait , till a suitable dog comes along and maybe as people have suggested one that is not a puppy .
    some dogs which are older are so loving and need kindness and love also .

i wish you well , and hope something suitable comes along real soon for you .

karen xx
  • julie47
    Options
    Thank you everyone for giving me advice and I have taken extra notes just incase I need to fill out another form.

I think I now have to agree with you all that a puppy although would be lovely is not good for me because of my mobility problems.

Georgie the lhasa apso is a lovely little dog and one that I would probably consider. :D I have seen a couple of them around where I live :D

DD you diid make me smile, :lol:

Avrielle you brought up some really good points there thank you :D

Skezier, Haz.......would love him :lol: but probably a bit too boystrous for me :lol: would have me doing donuts on my chair and scooter.
    Thank you for asking your friend(when you can) for asking her for advice for me. :D

Sticky....now theres a thought :lol: cheap, cheerful and no mess :D

Jillyb1....I am pleased that the dogs trust got intouch with you quickly and that you have found a lovely dog. :D Lets hope that they may get in touch with me soon too.

Karen....I didn't know what a pomeranian was so I googled them....Awe aren't they sweet :D
    I too hope something turns up soon thank you :D

Thanks again everyone
    Love Juliepf xx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Julie
    I have always had pets in the house, my last little doggy died a few years ago now, what I would give to have another one, I really do miss the companionship when OH is at work.
    This thread is getting me all broody again, I would love an older dog that can walk as slow has me......we did go to the rescue centres, but like you say its not easy choosing one.
    I am sure whatever dog you get will be very lucky, good luck with it all.xx
    PS I do love older Labradors...now see what you have done... :D
    Love
    Barbara
  • julie47
    Options
    ooops Barbara sorry I have got you all broody again :D

do you think this one would be slow enough for us both? g060.gif

:P
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    julie47 wrote:
    ooops Barbara sorry I have got you all broody again :D

do you think this one would be slow enough for us both? g060.gif

:P
    Aww send it round...I will get it a nice cosy bed.... :D
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,424
    Options
    Oooh Julie!!

Fabulous :) a new doggie to love :)

he or she will be so happy to be with you and your husband and lucky too.

I tend to love all dogs, but have to say (sorry :oops: ) Harry IS rather boisterous :shock: very very so :wink:

Do let us know soon who comes to live with you.

Love

Toni xxx
  • gilly1957
    gilly1957 Member Posts: 212
    Options
    Hi Julie

I rehomed a small/medium dog just over a year ago, he is a Beddidoodle, not sure if that show to spell it lol.

Heis a cross between a beddlington terrier and a poodle, he doesnt malt at all.

He was between 3/4 when i took him on, he is great fun,company and loves his cuddles.....he likes his walks but isnt too botherd if he doesnt get one.

According to an American website, they are ideal pets for apartment dwellers like me, and are bred not to need a lot of exercise.

I found Scampi on a site called preloved, he was from a small rehoming place near where i lived, you can submit your requirements on this site as well as looking at what others have to offer. It is all sorts....not just dogs.

Good luck in your search. :)
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,424
    Options
    Gilly

he sounds a perfect dog for any of us less mobile people too :)

Scampi :) Preloved site sounds really like they are lovely animals who need good homes.

Glad you found each other

Love

Toni xx
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,930
    Options
    Hi Julie.
    my sister and i have mobility scoota's we also have two mini dachshunds longhaired 2 and 12 years old they walk along
    by the scoota when they get tired they sit on the scoota we also have wheelchairs in doors.
    good luck in finding your dog.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • amet1
    amet1 Member Posts: 45
    Options
    i have patterdales they are really sturdy when i overbalance and love the hot water bottles i always have on my knees they are brilliant people dogs and have a fantastic bark to let me know when people are at the door (hard of hearing) very bright and highly trainable. just not good with other animals at home ,they love chasing my chickens :cry:
  • julie47
    Options
    Aw thank you toni, for your kind words :D

gilly1957 your dog sounds perfect too :D gosh I have a list now of what to look for, I am glad I asked all you people :D I am so pleased that you found your dog and i will see if i can see the site on the web, :wink:

Joan, dachshunds are my daughters favourite :D she is married now but she has also suggested one for me.

amet1, thank you for your recommendation too, it is so kind of you to add to my post :D Highly trainable.....Perfect :lol: but.....oh your poor chickens :lol:

Thank you all again
    Love Julie xx
  • amet1
    amet1 Member Posts: 45
    Options
    it gives the chickens and the dogs a good work out lol, just gives me a nervous breakdown :D
  • kellerman
    kellerman Member Posts: 741
    Options
    I always said I wouldn't have another dog after losing my beloved border Collie 2 years ago.
    Then I got a Bichon Frise. No moulting and so easy to walk. No yapping either.
    Some weeks ago I was asked if I'd foster another one......I think I'm probably stuck with her so now I have 2. They are both ****.
    I have them both on the same lead. When I stop they stop when I walk they walk and no pulling.
    A friend of mine has a Yorkie. It never stops yapping.I don't know if this is common to this breed or that shes really unlucky.
    I couldn't part with mine now.
    May
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    I’d tend to stay away from the Terrier breeds especially the Russell’s as they are very determined and slightly head strong animals, they are none the less fearless and very protective and loyal but can be deaf as a flippin post.
    If it were me I’d go for a cross breed dog, I’d tend to avoid pedigree’s as they have been so interbred they’re can have health issues, the Doddle crosses are normally really good dogs to have and they don’t shed fur, but if you can’t get a doddle of any sort I’d go for something with border collie in it, that should do the job, they are a dam fine dog and they are as loyal as hell and really intelligent with it.
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Julie,

Your post just reminded me.. will text you xx